Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You cannot let someone or some nation dictate the liberties we enjoy through fear.
Which is why I plan on seeing that movie in a public theater, rather than waiting on netflix.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:42 AM

998 posts, read 665,261 times

Why are you all treating it like it's a given that the hack against Sony Pictures is originating from North Korea?

All signs are that it's not. State sponsored hacks do not use flashy warning messages with skeletons and demons, or operative group names such as #GOP. Also, the message lacks North Korea's typical bombastic English prose with threats of turning the country into a "sea of fire", etc. On the contrary, the messages from this group are in broken, poorly worded English, and could be a deliberate attempt to throw off investigators.

Clearly the hackers are trying to give the impression that it could be North Korea, due to the nature of targeting a film which depicts a mock assassination of Kim Jong Un. But come on guys... let's use our heads a little? Please? It's much more likely this is the work of a group of bored American or British kids who happened to obtain some inside access to the studio's computer network.

Would North Korea really break into the network and then promise big upcoming leaks, like the "Christmas leak" that came out yesterday? The nature of government backed hacking tends to be much more subversive.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Given NK's track record....I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them doing something *crazy*.

Remember their kidnapping of the Japanese film director?
No, I don't.

I also don't know why people are assuming the hackers are from the North Korean government. It's Guardians of Peace, they were responsible for the Sony hacking as well. I highly doubt the government is involved in this.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Everyone should go and see this movie with their middle finger flying high to the west. Hell, its almost patriotic to go and see this thing now.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:03 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The NK government is deranged alright, and they are capable of imagining just about anything.

The question is, what could they actually pull off?
Here? Probably not much. Plus, they are crazy but not THAT crazy as to start something on US soil.

But kidnapping somebody traveling in SE Asia isn't all that hard if you have their resources and if they have an embassy in that country.

Just takes a tranquilizer, shove you in a car and once they make it to the embassy you're screwed.

They could do the knock on the hotel room door or just literally snatch you off the street.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I had/have no interest in seeing the film---either before or after the hackers got involved---but because I don't want to see our freedom of speech blackmailed in this way with the threats to Sony I'm very tempted to just buy a ticket and not actually go in to see the movie.
I shared the same idea but my nearest theaters canceled the movie's showings out of the fear of these threats of violence. I see the side that they don't want to put guests at risk BUT I think it is silly because it's a movie. We've seen other movies lampoon, threaten to kill and actually kill ficitionalized world leaders and none opened up to this kind of hoopla. Team America was about a fictionalized Kim Jong-Il (the father of North Korea's current dictator Kim Jong-Un) being stopped from a nuclear strike and the Hot Shots! Part Deux lampooned the early 1990s middle east crisis.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Given all the tin-foil hatter claims of Obama being a Muslim that movie would more likely be made by a group of RWNJs getting all tingly at the possibility.
Yeah I expect that they would laugh at that. I'm sure some were calling or it in White House Down when Jamie Foxx played an Obama like president. That and I am sure some LWNJs who would have wanted Bush '43 killed off in movies just because. I think some would even want a fictionalized Bill Clinton dead.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:13 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, I don't.

I also don't know why people are assuming the hackers are from the North Korean government. It's Guardians of Peace, they were responsible for the Sony hacking as well. I highly doubt the government is involved in this.
You raise a good point, we don't know for sure this is NK.

NK has kidnapped hundreds over the years, this is a partial list. They don't admit to more than a dozen though...but the fact taht they admit is pretty telling.

North Korean abductions of Japanese citizens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2014, 10:13 AM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I think it is deplorable that the movie execs green lighted a movie about killing the leader of an actual country no matter how Kim Jung is viewed. Here is a fact people half the world sees America as greedy war mongers. Imagine if North Korea came out with a movie that featured killing Obama? There would be outrage.
To threaten blowing up a theatre that shows this movie is stupid and I doubt it would actually happen but the terrorists that are making the threats seem to be winning.
Hollywood should have made a fictional leader to assasinate. What a dumb move for what will probably be a stupid movie.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is deplorable that the movie execs green lighted a movie about killing the leader of an actual country no matter how Kim Jung is viewed. Here is a fact people half the world sees America as greedy war mongers. Imagine if North Korea came out with a movie that featured killing Obama? There would be outrage.
And yet there are people in particular on this very message board who would laugh about a FICTIONALIZED Obama being killed off. This would be like Germans complaining about the Anti-Hitler movies or the Anti-US movies Japan did. It's complete fiction showing a botched CIA attempt to kill a fictionalized dictator. What's next, the hackers complaining about this meme and launching viruses to take down the websites and the domains with this meme?

Quote:
To threaten blowing up a theatre that shows this movie is stupid and I doubt it would actually happen but the terrorists that are making the threats seem to be winning.
And it opens up a can of worms for next time there is an event like this or even copy-cats.
Quote:
Hollywood should have made a fictional leader to assasinate. What a dumb move for what will probably be a stupid movie.
It's fiction, it's not real like a documentary or even based off of a true story so making a fictional leader isn't needed because a sane person would know most moves are indeed fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies