Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,936 times

Advertisements

You know the white people who stand up against White shooters? The NRA (I'm not a member).

Old 12-17-2014, 01:21 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Seriously. When. When will all White Americans take the blame and responsibility for the actions of other people who, save for the pure coincidence that they are of the same ethnicity commit these atrocities in stunning numbers?
It's actually a fair post that may just be concerned with eliminating mass shootings.

Truth is white America was briefly motivated after the Newtown, CT shootings. But as it worked thru the political process, President Obama hit a wall. Despite surveys showing strong white majority support for tougher gun laws, the majority had no chance against podunk politicians (Dems too) and the NRA's lobbying.

The NRA's greed and propaganda combined with the messed up electoral college leading to an inflated number of pro-gun elected officials from the sparsely populated states, was all it took to squash any measure.

The electoral college is really screwing this country over.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:25 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Your point is well taken.

A horrific Black crime is committed by the "Black Community".

A horrific white crime is committed by a White Individual.

I agree with your implied assessment. What is your solution to changing these perceptions?
Day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year horrific crimes are committed in black neighborhoods.......yes, it IS the "black community" and their apologists who are at fault.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:25 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Geroldo Rivera said Fox News that Lebron should wear a shirt that says "Be a father" instead of "I can't breath". Same thing in principle as saying Love should wear a "Stop faking disability to get SS" shirt
Dumb comparison seeing as how Kevin Love didn't where a t-shirt saying something like "illegals are taking our jobs".

Old 12-17-2014, 01:29 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
It's actually a fair post that may just be concerned with eliminating mass shootings.

Truth is white America was briefly motivated after the Newtown, CT shootings. But as it worked thru the political process, President Obama hit a wall. Despite surveys showing strong white majority support for tougher gun laws, the majority had no chance against podunk politicians (Dems too) and the NRA's lobbying.

The NRA's greed and propaganda combined with the messed up electoral college leading to an inflated number of pro-gun elected officials from the sparsely populated states, was all it took to squash any measure.

There is always a surge of emotion after any horrific incident. This doesn't necessarily equate to actual support for anything, though. After all, a large number of Americans supported going to war after 9-11. Ironically, you can't seem to find any of those supporters now.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:35 PM

998 posts, read 665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There is always a surge of emotion after any horrific incident. This doesn't necessarily equate to actual support for anything, though. After all, a large number of Americans supported going to war after 9-11. Ironically, you can't seem to find any of those supporters now.
Most of those people supported military strikes against the Taliban for harboring al qaeda, but they did not support a long drawn operation in Afghanistan to prop up their newly installed government and military. Point taken, though.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:35 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

There are neighborhoods in Chicago just 3 miles apart that have a 1 in 100,000 murder rate and a 35 in 100,000 murder rate. Same cops, same gun access, same laws.

One has a murder rate similar to Japan, the other is similar to Tiajuana.

Blaming the problem on guns has been an urban racist tactic for decades where cities have pushed the poor into isolated sections of the city with little access to jobs, education or opportunity.

The great MLK himself marched on Chicago to protest this.

Finally, Chicago (just had a thread about it) is instituting an at-risk youth jobs program and gee....it appears to be working. Who knew?

So please stop pushing the racist excuse that guns and the NRA are the reason behind the majority of the gun murders. The very states you are complaining about are the ones with the low murder rates. Maybe you could learn from them instead of using them as a scapegoat for the intentional segregation policies of others.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:37 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Part of the power a majority population exerts is to mask the faults of its members while making all minority members bear blame for the actions of a few.

Lebron is expected to be a role model for Black financial responsibility and fatherhood. Kevin Love isn't expected to be a role model for meth addicts or people in Appalachia living off of welfare
I'm in agreement with this.

Look at Adam Lanza, and how he murdered those innocent poor babies and innocent teachers in Newtown, CT, just over a year ago?

My God, watching the media coverage of this was one of the most disappointing things ever. A million excuses were made for him why he was the way he was, and why he did what he did. I recall one news report, once, which mentioned that there was hopes of examining his brain tissue to determine if there was some biological/genetic anomaly that could have made him do what he did.

I watched that, and said "WTF?!?!," and had several discusses with my coworkers and family members and friends of color.

Sadly, he is one of several examples throughout recent history. His sins seem to be covered up (or at least covered, to a certain extent) and my belief is that it is b/c he was white...This is nothing now.

Amongst the people of color in this country (I will broadly say, specifically blacks and Latinos), there's a general consensus that while many whites commit horrific mass crimes, they are somehow always humanized throughout their horrific deeds...whereas, those of us who are of color are continuously demonized when crimes are committed by us (and btw, we typically do not commit mass murders at the same frequency as whites, but rather isolated homicides). We are dehumanized over and over again.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:38 PM

998 posts, read 665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are neighborhoods in Chicago just 3 miles apart that have a 1 in 100,000 murder rate and a 35 in 100,000 murder rate. Same cops, same gun access, same laws.

One has a murder rate similar to Japan, the other is similar to Tiajuana.

Blaming the problem on guns has been an urban racist tactic for decades where cities have pushed the poor into isolated sections of the city with little access to jobs, education or opportunity.

The great MLK himself marched on Chicago to protest this.

Finally, Chicago (just had a thread about it) is instituting an at-risk youth jobs program and gee....it appears to be working. Who knew?

So please stop pushing the racist excuse that guns and the NRA are the reason behind the majority of the gun murders. The very states you are complaining about are the ones with the low murder rates. Maybe you could learn from them instead of using them as a scapegoat for the intentional segregation policies of others.
Agreed. It's hard to argue with facts (watch them try though).

Old 12-17-2014, 01:45 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I'm in agreement with this.

Look at Adam Lanza, and how he murdered those innocent poor babies and innocent teachers in Newtown, CT, just over a year ago?

My God, watching the media coverage of this was one of the most disappointing things ever. A million excuses were made for him why he was the way he was, and why he did what he did. I recall one news report, once, which mentioned that there was hopes of examining his brain tissue to determine if there was some biological/genetic anomaly that could have made him do what he did.

I watched that, and said "WTF?!?!," and had several discusses with my coworkers and family members and friends of color.

Sadly, he is one of several examples throughout recent history. His sins seem to be covered up (or at least covered, to a certain extent) and my belief is that it is b/c he was white...This is nothing now.

Amongst the people of color in this country (I will broadly say, specifically blacks and Latinos), there's a general consensus that while many whites commit horrific mass crimes, they are somehow always humanized throughout their horrific deeds...whereas, those of us who are of color are continuously demonized when crimes are committed by us (and btw, we typically do not commit mass murders at the same frequency as whites, but rather isolated homicides). We are dehumanized over and over again.
People are "covering up the sins" of Adam Lanza, huh? By saying that he had severe mental problems? Good Lord. And could you provide some examples of black and "latino" (whatever that means) people being "dehumanized?"
Some people want to be a victim so badly that they'll make up some complete nonsense to support their worldview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies