Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 02:13 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,162,488 times

Advertisements

The ERA of JFK is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 02:14 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,551,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing MLB put an American League team in Havana; Cubans love baseball. It will create a big market for travel to Cuba to see our own teams play there, including spring training baseball when it's cold and snowy in the northern USA. I'd love to have Keith Olbermann and George Will do some play by play of the games there.....
You are getting way way way ahead of what the current reality is and what it's going to be going into the future.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:15 PM

654 posts, read 1,247,971 times
I guess now, we can go to Cuber and buy 1950s car parts and import those jalopies and sell them for a 100 gran.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:17 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,054,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
IS there going to be another Cuban Boat Lift whee they send their prisoners to the USA?
Lol...never again.

Gotta admit though...Castro was brilliant with that one. It was a masterstroke.

We set ourselves up for that. We were BEGGING to get snookered. Basically, he removed a million lbs of pressure off of his regime, saved a ton of money and resources, and bought another 35 years of power.

All while we sat here looking like fools.

When Mariel happened, I knew we had lost.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,297,672 times
Default Marco Rubio: Pres. Obama is 'worst negotiator' in my lifetime.

Marco Rubio Fires Back On Cuba: Obama Is The 'Worst Negotiator' In My Lifetime

And as Michael Medved pointed out, his lifetime includes Jimmy Carter. If you recognize that 'politics is the art of compromise,' then skill in negotiation is paramount for any politician. One of the things that made Ronald Reagan great was his skill as a negotiator. He learned the craft of negotiation as a union president. The primary function of any union official is to negotiate contracts. His secretary of state George Shultz, was also an experienced labor negotiator albeit on the other side of the table.

Charles Krauthammer in a recent column shows how Pres. Obama's negotiation skills are lacking. You can also see this demonstrated in Bob Woodward's book, The Price of Politics. Pres Obama has two go-to moves in negotiations. One is to stonewall, to insist on all or nothing. The other is to give away the store, as Krauthammer details. Both are major mistakes as any experienced negotiator knows.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,395,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Puhhhlleeeeezzeee...

I have visited Cuba. It's a typical Latin American thugogracy run by a Caudillo in uniform.

Yea you cannot accuse him of handing out phones. That's because hardly anybody there even has a telephone that works!

Get out of here.
You must be deaf; you didn't even hear that 747 going right over your head did you?

Cuba lacks all sorts of necessities much less luxuries; NOBODY fawned over Fidel for exactly that reason. Your post was stupid for that reason.

Now please explain those Americans who travelled there in droves, were they also fawning or simply seeking a cheap, warm vacation without crime. Oh yeah, almost forgot, many fawning Americans go there for affordable medical procedures.

"FAWNING" ............Get outta here.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:23 PM

There is nothing to negotiate for.

What Rubio wants is expropriated property to be given back. The United States has no leg to stand on for such claims.

We'll have a prisoner exchange, and a new trading partner.

There's nothing else to negotiate for. What does he expect the Castros to give up? Their rule?

Lol...Rubio is delusional. Cold War is over. His crew down in South Florida lost.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:25 PM

14,293 posts, read 9,642,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There was a lot more to the release of the American prisoner this morning than met the eye. It is apparently part of a move on both sides to normalize US-Cuba relations including establishing embassies. It's about time.

AP Sources: US, Cuba Seek to Normalize Relations - ABC News
We have not had any luck over the past 50 years, so maybe a different tactic is in order. The problem I have is that it's Obama doing this, and his policy decisions have proven to be skewed from what's best for our nation. I just do not trust his motivations or his agenda.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
We have not had any luck over the past 50 years, so maybe a different tactic is in order. The problem I have is that it's Obama doing this, and his policy decisions have proven to be skewed from what's best for our nation. I just do not trust his motivations or his agenda.
Lol...let it go. Move on.

I mean, you want a different tactic...well you got one. It's called incrementally normalizing relations.

Who cares what president does it.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,395,828 times
Has anyone thought what this might do on the political front with Putin and Russia?

Putin's popularity in Russia relies upon his assigning traditional U.S. hatred of communist countries to Obama. How's he going to spin this move?

Some Russians are bound to start questioning "why Cubans and not us" of their exalted leader.

Might be fun to be a foreigner sitting in a bar listening to Americans and Russians interacting....."your ma wears army boots....oh yeah, well she can drink more vodka than your old man." Perhaps segregation of both should be enforced by Cuban military. Haaaar!

U.S. military personnel from Guantanamo will maybe take leave in Havana??? There goes the neighbourhood...yipes! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies