Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,267,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailhead View Post
You never saw millions of Cubans feel to the US under Fidel Castro's regime either.

say again? I lived in San Juan, Puerto Rico, a U.S. Territory and Miami, Florida and that's were the majority of Cubans fled. They prospered because they open businesses and were free, something they couldn't do under Castro's regime.

Go talk to them I'm very familiar with Cubans exiles, they lost everything when Castro took over.....they lost land that have been part of their families generation to generation, lost their homes, lost their personal business and bank accounts...........you have no idea what that is like until it happens to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
After decades of listening to Miami Cubans cry about Fidel and having their way regarding how the U.S. should conduct its Foreign Relations with Cuba I am genuinely happy Obama said F-U to them all and did what should have been done decades ago.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:41 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,868,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Those who think this is a mistake have their heads up their asses.
Most of those who think it's a mistake have a Pavlovian hatred for President Obama. That's pretty much what all the gnashing of teeth is about here. Everything else is just a lot of blather to try to justify an untenable position.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,769,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But it happened over 50 years ago.

The common good is served because 11 million Cubans will have greater access to the outside world and knowledge, and it allows US farmers to sell goods to Cuba, which opens a new market, creates jobs, and helps our economy here at home.

So yeah, it benefits the common good.
Hold on! You are now juxtaposing two different issues.

Theft is theft. The Cuban nationalizations without compensation were Illegal under Cuban, American, and International law. There was no common good.

Eventually, Cuba, like East Germany and other Communist nations, will have to return the property.

As for normalizing relations, I have made it clear that I favor that.

But you were not talking about that. You were endorsing the Fascist Caudillo in his illegal actions. Was it ok that Hitler grabbed Jewish private property? He said it was for the common good.

Guys like you who swoon over Fascists never cease to amaze me.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But it happened over 50 years ago.

The common good is served because 11 million Cubans will have greater access to the outside world and knowledge, and it allows US farmers to sell goods to Cuba, which opens a new market, creates jobs, and helps our economy here at home.

So yeah, it benefits the common good.

not if the totalitarian government of Cuba has a choke hold on the Cuba's people......it doesn't matter if the U.S. drops the embargo. If the Cuban government doesn't reform and allow elections and civil rights then nothing its going to change.

even the internet in Cuba the government censors. The U.S.A. has no jurisdiction in Cuba to change that.

You can't have reform in Cuba and unite the Cuban people (the millions exiled) with the Castro's brothers in power. Too much bad blood, bad history and if Cuba wants to start fresh Castros and their politicos have to get out of power and let free elections take place.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Well that happens in Revolutions. Once some groups feel they are being exploited they will take power and overthrow what was oppressing them. Part of history. Actually sometimes internal or external actors do the overthrowing. Depends if you are one the winning or losing side.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:49 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Batista was corrupt but it was NOTHING like the Castro's regime. Look how Cubans vote with their feet. Under Batista, you never saw millions of Cubans flee Cuba to the U.S.A like you see with Castro.

In the 1950s, Cuba's (GDP) per capita was roughly equal to that of Italy at the time despite the fact that corruption and inequality were rife under Batista, Cuban industrial worker's wages rose significantly.According to the International Labor Organization , the average industrial salary in Cuba was the world's eighth-highest in 1958, and the average agricultural wage was higher than some European nations.

Cuba before Castro took over had a better economy than Puerto Rico, a U.S. TERRITORY with U.S. citizenship since 1917.

Now under Castro, the min wage in Cuba is 5 cents an hour and the Cubans have ZERO rights and no right to dissent the Cuban's totalitarian government that millions have risked their lives to escape.

Comparing apples and oranges. Anyone who defends Castro's actions and bring Batista doesn't know much about Latin countries and Cuba.

I think you are getting too excited. I see the point you are trying to make, but, for instance, 'millions' of Cubans did not flee Castro's rule.

CUBA: population growth of the whole country

As the above chart shows, Cuba's population has had a steady increase through the years. In 1959, when Castro took over Cuba, the population was 6.9 million, with steady growth thereafter. One did have the Mariel boatlift of 1980, in which some 125,000 (estimated total) left Cuba to come here (an appalling time, which helped doom Carter's bid for re-election).

Plus, people certainly did flee Cuba in rather large numbers when Batista took over in 1934 (with help of the USA). One of those who fled was a band leader named Desi Arnaz (who's family estates had been confiscated). However, even then, the population of Cuba kept increasing year by year.

Anyway, Batista is long dead, Fidel is retired, and his brother is elderly himself. I think this portends better days from Cuba. Time will tell. Certainly, 53 years of isolation (by the USA, not other countries) has done nothing to improve anything.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Hold on! You are now juxtaposing two different issues.

Theft is theft. The Cuban nationalizations without compensation were Illegal under Cuban, American, and International law. There was no common good.

Eventually, Cuba, like East Germany and other Communist nations, will have to return the property.

As for normalizing relations, I have made it clear that I favor that.

But you were not talking about that. You were endorsing the Fascist Caudillo in his illegal actions. Was it ok that Hitler grabbed Jewish private property? He said it was for the common good.

Guys like you who swoon over Fascists never cease to amaze me.

I agree!!!............Castro basically did what the Nazis and the Communists in Russia did when they took power. Stole private property and wealth from others and kill anybody that was a threat to them. For the "common good" of the people my a$$....the masses are worse off under those regimes.

you have millions of Cubans exiled who were wronged.....if Cuba wants to "normalize" relationship they have to deal with the Cubans in exiled that he stole property, bank accounts, houses, land, tortured and thrown in jail without due process.

and then to the American investors that Castro stole and confiscated their properties and bank accounts.

Castro's government can start there and then we can talk.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 AM

24,391 posts, read 23,048,028 times
Obama was put in office to be a rubber stamp, not a leader and not a negotiator. He may be given positions and told what to say but negotiating with foreign leaders is clearly far above his limited capabilities.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
not if the totalitarian government of Cuba has a choke hold on the Cuba's people......it doesn't matter if the U.S. drops the embargo. If the Cuban government doesn't reform and allow elections and civil rights then nothing its going to change.

even the internet in Cuba the government censors. The U.S.A. has no jurisdiction in Cuba to change that.

You can't have reform in Cuba and unite the Cuban people (the millions exiled) with the Castro's brothers in power. Too much bad blood, bad history and if Cuba wants to start fresh Castros and their politicos have to get out of power and let free elections take place.
We aren't going to get the Cuban government to change. The people of the country there are.

This isn't the middle east we're talking about. This is Latin America. And the Cubans there, given information, will likely push for reforms in their own country.

Thats why opening up communications on the Island is such a good thing. I'm actually looking for telecom jobs there now, as only about 10% of the country has cell phone coverage, its looking like a huge expansion opportunity in the carribean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies