Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 12:46 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
When you're a racist, you see race in everything.

First, I think she's lying. Secondly, I'm sure it wasn't because she's black that they asked. Most likely because she's tall or was wearing a red shirt (I've made that mistake there once).
Seriously, has this country gone completely mad? Starting with our elected leader obviously (and his wife).

She didn't even have to be wearing red...she's very tall. The woman saw a tall person and asked for help.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH RACE?

Stop the train, I'm getting off

Old 12-17-2014, 12:48 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why would you be in Target not asking someone with a RED SHIRT AND KHAKI PANTS to help you?? Isn't this the uniform of a Target employee?

I don't ask people who are not workers of the store to help me.
Common scenario is your short and trying to reach something up on high shelf and there is a tall person standing there a few feet away. You ask the person to help you get the item.

Now you can argue that its wrong and you should get someome who works there to do it. I personally see no issue with it as I have had it happen to me numerous times and have been more than happy to help out....if I could.

What you cant claim is that its racist to do something like that. So your point of wether or not you should be doing it is irrelevent to the topic.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:02 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
I'm a white female of average height who is asked this and similar questions all the time. If i can help, i will. If not, "i dont work here."

What's funny is that since I'm currently living in a higher SES neighborhood, now if I answer, "I don't work here," people get extremely apologetic as if they just gave me the ultimate insult of working a low wage low education job. Usually it comes with nervous laughter. Its a very different reaction than I'm used to. I just shrug and say "no worries."

Old 12-17-2014, 01:52 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
And, this, people, is the kind of mindset and consistent whining that is not based on an understanding of facts, but rather stereotypes about why others could be asking you for help. This is the type of mindset that continues to hold us backed a nation. Could it have been a race thing? Perhaps. More likely, however, is that this woman wanted an opportunity to tell her friends that she interacted with the First Lady; who knows, she could've been crazy and not have known who Obama was or, gasp, she could have been an ordinary American who realizes that our public servants who live on the taxpayer dole work for us, not the other way around, and wasn't afraid to treat Michelle like a regular person (the horror that the First Lady is asked to help a fellow citizen out). Regardless of one's thoughts, however, I think it's foolish and that it does a disservice to everything decent to profess to know what is in others' hearts and minds in an effort to suit a Sharpton/Jackson-based agenda.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
She's sort of goofy.

I've been asked many times over the years to grab something off a high shelf at a store for a vertically challenged fellow shopper, I'm an older white guy.

Mrs. Obama is 5'11", thinking this has anything to do with "race" is silly, and at best indicates she rarely ever goes to grocery or discount stores.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:03 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
She's sort of goofy.

I've been asked many times over the years to grab something off a high shelf at a store for a vertically challenged fellow shopper, I'm an older white guy.

Mrs. Obama is 5'11", thinking this has anything to do with "race" is silly, and at best indicates she rarely ever goes to grocery or discount stores.

Exactly!! Height possibly was the reason she was asked! I am 5'8" and used to be the tallest of the women I worked around and was always asked to reach to get things but most times I OFFERED!

Old 12-17-2014, 03:04 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
I think the more ridiculous thing is the assumption that Obama was mistaken for the Valet because he was black... Most valets I've seen have been white, but really there's a good mix. If people avoided giving their keys to black valet's, that would also be racist.

The reality is that the person in a tux or otherwise nicely dressed, standing alone where the cars park for valet parking, was mistaken for the other person who was probably similarly dressed and should have been standing alone in that exact same spot.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,119 times
Well that's just sad that some people think it's not appropriate to ask a fellow human being for a little help with the top shelf. C'mon really?? You would rather run all over the store looking for a red shirt than just ask the tall person standing near you? Where I live, it's common to help your fellow man.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:17 PM

16,597 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

And for what it is worth, I've had someone ask me for help getting something off a shelf because I'm tall and/or assume I worked at a store many times over the years. Who hasn't? This first lady is a piece of work and I can't wait to see Michelle go.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I am 6'7" so it is very common for people to ask for my assistance, whether it be something up high, or where a strong person is needed. I have never once thought of it as something other than what it is.
The trouble with people growing u with racial chips on their shoulders is that they assume anything that goes wrong could be due to racism. They even think simple things like what the 1st Lady said could have some racial component behind it.

Personally I do not like to talk negatively about a POTUS's family, and the children are certainly off limits in my mind. However with the many things Michelle Obama has said over the years, like how she did not feel proud to be an American prior to her husband being elected, really makes me dislike her. She is a poor representative of a 1st Lady, lacking grace, class, etc.
That does not make her a bad person, and she comes off as a nice enough person in general(unlike Hillary). However, even if she lacked those attributes like many 1st Ladies do in the beginning, she should have learned them by now.

Of course she and the race baiters will probably say it is racist to say such things, but I can tell the difference between Filet and ground chuck. Jackie Kennedy was Filet, and Michelle Obama is well, you fill in the cut________________.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:18 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
michelle obama-i was asked to take something of the shelf at target

Quote trimmed to pertinent info, see link for full article.

How is this racism?
I have no idea. I have been asked to help people get things off a shelf at the store many many times. Hell she is 5'11". Why shouldn't that be a normal thing????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies