Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 11:56 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times

Advertisements

michelle obama-i was asked to take something of the shelf at target

Quote:
The Obamas talked with People magazine about dealing with their "own racist experiences," as the magazine described.

".....the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new,"
Quote trimmed to pertinent info, see link for full article.

How is this racism?

So if I am in a store and I ask someone else for help with something and they happen to black then I am a racist? So it makes it better if I walk past that black person to get a white person to help me? Looks like no win situation, no matter your choice your a racist.

I dunno but I help people all the time in stores, generally before they ask. If I see someone struggling with something I would be happy to help. I have asked people nearby for help loading cumbersome stuff onto a cart or pallet at stores before, I cant remember if they were black or white though as it wasn't really germane to the problem.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:00 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
As The Daily Caller first reported back in 2011, Obama’s top adviser mistook a four-star general for a waiter during a fancy dinner hosted by the Alfalfa Club. According to a Daily Caller source, as the general walked by [Valarie] Jarrett’s table, she signaled to him that she wanted more libation.

“I’d like another glass of wine,” she reportedly said.

Like a gentleman, the career military man didn’t make a fuss of the matter, according to the source.

“The guy dutifully went up and got her a glass of wine, and then came back and gave it to her and took a seat at the table,” the source said. “Everyone is in tuxedos and gowns at this thing, but the military people are in full dress uniform.”

THIS is the difference between a gentleman and a pampered, little whiny princess.

And for what it is worth, I've had someone ask me for help getting something off a shelf because I'm tall and/or assume I worked at a store many times over the years. Who hasn't? This first lady is a piece of work and I can't wait to see Michelle go.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:03 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post

How is this racism?

So if I am in a store and I ask someone else for help with something and they happen to black then I am a racist? So it makes it better if I walk past that black person to get a white person to help me? Looks like no win situation, no matter your choice your a racist.

I dunno but I help people all the time in stores, generally before they ask. If I see someone struggling with something I would be happy to help. I have asked people nearby for help loading cumbersome stuff onto a cart or pallet at stores before, I cant remember if they were black or white though as it wasn't really germane to the problem.
When you're a racist, you see race in everything.

First, I think she's lying. Secondly, I'm sure it wasn't because she's black that they asked. Most likely because she's tall or was wearing a red shirt (I've made that mistake there once).

Old 12-17-2014, 12:13 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
As The Daily Caller first reported back in 2011, Obama’s top adviser mistook a four-star general for a waiter during a fancy dinner hosted by the Alfalfa Club. According to a Daily Caller source, as the general walked by [Valarie] Jarrett’s table, she signaled to him that she wanted more libation.

“I’d like another glass of wine,” she reportedly said.

Like a gentleman, the career military man didn’t make a fuss of the matter, according to the source.

“The guy dutifully went up and got her a glass of wine, and then came back and gave it to her and took a seat at the table,” the source said. “Everyone is in tuxedos and gowns at this thing, but the military people are in full dress uniform.”

THIS is the difference between a gentleman and a pampered, little whiny princess.

And for what it is worth, I've had someone ask me for help getting something off a shelf because I'm tall and/or assume I worked at a store many times over the years. Who hasn't? This first lady is a piece of work and I can't wait to see Michelle go.
Once, I was walking to my car empty-handed after visiting Lowe's. I guess my shirt resembled a Lowe's shirt. A gentleman outside was loading sod onto his pick-up truck. He asked me for assistance, and asked if he had to go inside to pay, or if I could somehow ring him up outside. I chuckled and informed him that I did not work there. He looked nervous, said "Oh, okay, thought you did." He proceeded to drive off, with what had to be AT LEAST a full pallet of St-Augustine grass... Without paying. SMH

Old 12-17-2014, 12:20 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
I helped an old black woman at the store this morning when she wanted something from the top shelf. I thought nothing of it until now. Coincidence or did she read the article?

Old 12-17-2014, 12:26 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post

How is this racism?

So if I am in a store and I ask someone else for help with something and they happen to black then I am a racist?

Why would you be in Target not asking someone with a RED SHIRT AND KHAKI PANTS to help you?? Isn't this the uniform of a Target employee?

I don't ask people who are not workers of the store to help me.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:36 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
White male here. When I used to work downtown in the financial district, I'd go out at lunch on errands, dressed in my usual white shirt, tie, and dark pants. Often when I went into the department store, people would think I was a manager or some other kind of employee, and they'd ask me where stuff was. If I knew, I'd tell them. If I didn't know, I'd say, sorry but I don't work here!

I guess when you're a hyper-sensitive type like Michelle who sees a racist under every rock, being mistook for a "lower" class of person is tantamount to racial stereotyping.

But isn't she the same person who said "For the first time in my life, I'm proud of my country!" after Barack won?

People who say "What do you mean, 'you people'?" probably have a permanent chip on their shoulder. At a certain point, you start to wonder if they're ever going to get past this racism mentality which really does blacks no good, does whites no good, merely perpetuates the anger and makes whites feel like what the hell, you can't win with "these people".

Old 12-17-2014, 12:43 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
At least Michelle and her spouse have something in common , racism.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:45 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Maybe some black people think that this kind of thing only happens to blacks? I can assure you that is not the case . It's happened to me more than once,

Old 12-17-2014, 12:46 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why would you be in Target not asking someone with a RED SHIRT AND KHAKI PANTS to help you?? Isn't this the uniform of a Target employee?

I don't ask people who are not workers of the store to help me.
Yeah, it's common sense. I wouldn't go as far as calling it racist, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies