Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 10:20 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The expressions you are looking for is "malnourishment" and "lower IQ" of children. Yes those programs cause other negative things, but they have been of overwhelming benefit to us as a society.

They have helped children, but in the long term I would argue a net negative to society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 02:54 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
They have helped children, but in the long term I would argue a net negative to society.
To the contrary, malnourished and/or hungry children would be a net negative to society in the long term. Children have no chance to grow up and better themselves or their lot in life if they don't have a healthy start in life. Cutting off WIC and SNAP to punish mothers for having children they can't afford is really punishing children who had no choice in the matter. I would like to believe we, as a society, are better than that.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:06 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"A Republican lawmaker in Missouri is introducing a bill that will require women to receive consent from the man who impregnated them before getting an abortion, Mother Jones‘s Molly Redden reports.

State Representative Rick Brattin filed the bill, which states that “[n]o abortion shall be performed or induced unless and until the father of the unborn child provides written, notarized consent to the abortion
.”

GOP lawmaker: Women need man’s permission for abortion unless they can prove ‘legitimate rape’

Here we go with the "legitimate rape" crap again.

This is how Republicans view women--as wayward children who cannot be allowed to make decisions regarding their own bodies or lives. No, they must get permission from their menfolk, who will then decide what's best for them.

Can the GOP possibly be any more degrading towards women? I probably shouldn't ask--I'm sure they'll find a way.
I now it is a hard concept to grasp but, it takes TWO to tango.

The man is just as responsible for the pregnancy as the woman.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
To the contrary, malnourished and/or hungry children would be a negative net to society in the long term. Children have no chance to grow up and better themselves or their lot in life if they don't have a healthy start in life. Cutting off WIC and SNAP to punish mothers for having children they can't afford is really punishing children who had no choice in the matter. I would like to believe we, as a society, are better than that.
Agreed... The child can not help who their parent is. Most of us have no issue with SNAP or WIC. Anyone who does, has a dried up prune for a heart. What many question, is the misuse of welfare and the abuse of tax payer generosity. I believe workfare would be a better approach. The recipient earns the money and society gets something in return.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:10 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I would say your son should not have been banging a woman who did not first agree to have his children, if said banging resulted in a pregnancy.

It's time for men to take control of THEIR reproductive rights!
These men should just NOT HAVE SEX with women!

As we all know, celibacy is the ONLY way to ensure not creating a baby.

Keep it in your pants, guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"These men should just NOT HAVE SEX with women!" AND the women should NOT have sex with men if they are NOT going to give the man the SAME rights as she has.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:21 PM

779 posts, read 632,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Is it right? thats a more challenging question, and im not sure of the answer. If someones body wasn't so intimately involved it would be simple.

The words legitimate rape should never be in things like this.
Agree. This is one of those few instances where equality seems pretty impossible due to biology.

Legitimate rape is an odd term. Is that the opposite of illegitimate rape? What in the world would be the definition of that second phrase?

Old 12-19-2014, 03:25 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
"A Republican lawmaker in Missouri is introducing a bill that will require women to receive consent from the man who impregnated them before getting an abortion, Mother Jones‘s Molly Redden reports.

State Representative Rick Brattin filed the bill, which states that “[n]o abortion shall be performed or induced unless and until the father of the unborn child provides written, notarized consent to the abortion.”

GOP lawmaker: Women need man’s permission for abortion unless they can prove ‘legitimate rape’

Here we go with the "legitimate rape" crap again.

This is how Republicans view women--as wayward children who cannot be allowed to make decisions regarding their own bodies or lives. No, they must get permission from their menfolk, who will then decide what's best for them.

Can the GOP possibly be any more degrading towards women? I probably shouldn't ask--I'm sure they'll find a way.

This story should have read "father's permission, not the, propaganda BS it attempts to broadcast.

Typical slant presentation.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:34 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Agree. This is one of those few instances where equality seems pretty impossible due to biology.

Legitimate rape is an odd term. Is that the opposite of illegitimate rape? What in the world would be the definition of that second phrase?
While the term "legitimate rape" sounds awful I understand the need to differentiate between the FBI definition of rape and the other things people flippantly toss around these days.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:18 PM

779 posts, read 632,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
While the term "legitimate rape" sounds awful I understand the need to differentiate between the FBI definition of rape and the other things people flippantly toss around these days.
Like what?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:19 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Like what?
There are some people who redefine a sexual encounter as "rape" well after the fact, even if one didn't think they were raped at the time. Drunk sex, regret sex, "omg my mother found out I slept with someone and now I have to claim it was rape" sex. These are some examples but there are others:

College rape: Campus sexual assault is a serious problem. But the efforts to protect women are infringing on the civil rights of men.

Occidental Expels Student for Rape Under Standard So Low That the Accuser Could Have Been Found Guilty, Too - Hit & Run : Reason.com

This stuff has been in the news lately. When someone has to ask "was I raped?" it's not surprising that people want to be clear about what they mean when they speak of rape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies