Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:58 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

Michelle Obama Recently Cited Alleged Example of Racism at Target So M. Obama tells People Magazine this:
Quote:
“I think people forget that we’ve lived in the White House for six years,” Michelle Obama told People magazine. “Before that, Barack Obama was a black man that lived on the South Side of Chicago, who had his share of troubles catching cabs.” She said, “I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn’t see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn’t anything new.”
Keep in mind, this interview and question was about race. Look at the link and its references. She was using this as an example of negative race relations in our country and that someone dared to view her as needing help probably because shes black, instead of as First Lady.
Quote:
“I went to Target. I thought I was undercover. I have to tell you something about this trip though,” she said. “No one knew that was me because a woman actually walked up to me, right, I was in the detergent isle and she said — I kid you not — she said, ‘excuse me, I just have to ask you something.’ And I thought, ‘cover’s blown.’ She said, ‘Can you reach on that shelf and hand me the detergent?’ I kid you not!” Then she added some context. “And the only thing she said — I reached up because she was short — and I reached up and pulled it down and she said, ‘Well, you didn’t have to make it look so easy.’ That was interaction, I feel so good. She had no idea who I was.”
So which is it? An example or how someone views you as "help" or an example of you being kind and happy to help some one in need? She says in the People quote, It isnt anything new. The entire question/interview portion was strictly about race relations. She had just said her husband had issues in Chicago, so to then go right into the Target story....How can anyone not equate that to her thinking she was asked for help because she's black? A couple things. Besides the lie of the two different tones the two times she told this "story", does anyone really believe anyone could get near her in an aisle to ask her for help? Wouldn't her security be there? I think the story itself is just made up. That is what people like her do. They make things up to paint the picture they choose to paint. And then, who the heck doesn't know that Target employees wear Red Shirts. Anyone who has shopped there knows that. So IF anyone asked her for help, they did so because they needed it, not because they thought she worked there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:17 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Thank you, Michelle O, for waking me up to the fact that when someone asks me to reach for something at a store (I'm 6'3") that it's not because I'm tall and they are short, but because they are racist. I can't believe I've wandered thru life to this point thinking people just needed help reaching an item. I can now see how racism is in every single thing we do as Americans.

/sarcasm off

Old 12-18-2014, 06:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Michelle Obama Recently Cited Alleged Example of Racism at Target So M. Obama tells People Magazine this: Keep in mind, this interview and question was about race. Look at the link and its references. She was using this as an example of negative race relations in our country and that someone dared to view her as needing help probably because shes black, instead of as First Lady. So which is it? An example or how someone views you as "help" or an example of you being kind and happy to help some one in need? She says in the People quote, It isnt anything new. The entire question/interview portion was strictly about race relations. She had just said her husband had issues in Chicago, so to then go right into the Target story....How can anyone not equate that to her thinking she was asked for help because she's black? A couple things. Besides the lie of the two different tones the two times she told this "story", does anyone really believe anyone could get near her in an aisle to ask her for help? Wouldn't her security be there? I think the story itself is just made up. That is what people like her do. They make things up to paint the picture they choose to paint. And then, who the heck doesn't know that Target employees wear Red Shirts. Anyone who has shopped there knows that. So IF anyone asked her for help, they did so because they needed it, not because they thought she worked there.
OMG - this woman is disgusting.

So it was also racist when a cab doesn't stop for you? Hmmm, I bet a lot of white people have cabs go by them. You know, when they already have a fare? Or are cabbies supposed to dump their fare to pick up the entitled black guy, because to not do so is racist?

Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Michelle Obama Recently Cited Alleged Example of Racism at Target So M. Obama tells People Magazine this: Keep in mind, this interview and question was about race. Look at the link and its references. She was using this as an example of negative race relations in our country and that someone dared to view her as needing help probably because shes black, instead of as First Lady. So which is it? An example or how someone views you as "help" or an example of you being kind and happy to help some one in need? She says in the People quote, It isnt anything new. The entire question/interview portion was strictly about race relations. She had just said her husband had issues in Chicago, so to then go right into the Target story....How can anyone not equate that to her thinking she was asked for help because she's black? A couple things. Besides the lie of the two different tones the two times she told this "story", does anyone really believe anyone could get near her in an aisle to ask her for help? Wouldn't her security be there? I think the story itself is just made up. That is what people like her do. They make things up to paint the picture they choose to paint. And then, who the heck doesn't know that Target employees wear Red Shirts. Anyone who has shopped there knows that. So IF anyone asked her for help, they did so because they needed it, not because they thought she worked there.

Wow....She and I are about the same age.....and from the same region (Great Lakes Region). There is something about this whole story that simply does not add up to me.....based upon my own life experience growing up in the region. I generally never talk about my personal experiences with racism or try to use that to extrapolate that its true for the whole or that my life is a microcosm of black life, but I doubt very seriously that this is the best example of racism that she can give in her life. Maybe she is talking the racism she perceived post becoming the First Lady....but I actually agree that these incidents, in my opinion, seem no way racist.

It seems to me that after people move into the White House.....they lose all touch with reality about the real world.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:25 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
It looks like Michelle had an Obama moment( caught looking foolish while displaying ignorance or stupidity). We've all had Obama moments, I suppose.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:37 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It looks like Michelle had an Obama moment( caught looking foolish while displaying ignorance or stupidity). We've all had Obama moments, I suppose.
I know most of us (white people) have been mistaken for a maid or store clerk.

I know I have and I wasn't insulted......

Strange they would compare these acts to those of Rosa Park and others.....disgraceful!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:46 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
OMG - this woman is disgusting.

So it was also racist when a cab doesn't stop for you? Hmmm, I bet a lot of white people have cabs go by them. You know, when they already have a fare? Or are cabbies supposed to dump their fare to pick up the entitled black guy, because to not do so is racist?
Talk about a conundrum. What to do when your fare is a black, and the fella waving you down is black? Which move makes you the least bigot/racist? Mind Blown!!

Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Whenever a politician starts to tell an anecdotal story like that, you have to assume it's just a fabricated story that's only being used to move their political agenda forward.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:01 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
I get asked quite often to reach something on top shelves in stores by various ethnic backgrounds. It must be because I am fairly tall (like Ms obama) as I am white. So it can't be racism. I've even been mistaken as a Sears clerk once after a job interview by how I was dressed. I wasn't insulted but just tried to help as best I could. As for being mistaken for a vale,t how about Jarrett mistaking an Army General for a waiter?

FLASHBACK: Valerie Jarrett Mistakes General For Waiter | The Daily Caller Again, not racism I guess.

I suppose we can all come up with a tale if we dig deep enough and change the tone in our voices. Sad and disgusting at teh same time.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I think some people are missing the key fact. She told this same story two years apart. First time she was on David Letterman and how a short person asked her to get something off the shelf and was glad to help and relieved that she wasn't recognized.

The second time telling the story recently for people magazine during her joint interview with BHO it was told as an example of tacit racism.

Yes it proves once again she is a two face lying American hating witch holding up a fake example of how far we haven't come in America.

I'm sure many of the examples her hubby told as well were lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies