Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

This is a sort spot for me.

Many people here would say that poor people need to live with (share housing with) other people iin order to live within their means.

But lifelne programs provide only one subsidized phone per address. There are eight people in this house and the drunk's girlfriend has the lifeline phone so nobody else in this house can get one.

That seems fair.
Address: 1234 Somewhere, apt # 2b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
What an absolutely terrible post. My wife grew up in a village in Eastern Europe, no running water, minimal electricity, no car. She used to take a 7 hour bus ride to Warsaw, sometimes standing through the night. She came here in 2001 in her junior year of high school. Did not speak a word of English, and came her to be with her mom, who she hadn't seen in six years. They lived in a 1-br apartment in an all black apartment complex in New Jersey.

She's now 32. She makes over $100k/yr. Had her own apartment in NYC before we moved in together, and now we / she is looking for a second condo in miami beach. Stop being a whiney little snob, put your head down and work your asss off, and take some personal responsibility. Bc your life isn't decided by anyone but you. My sister and I are both under 33 with very successful careers on Wall Street. Was it bc our parents were rich and gave us anything? My father hauls beer to beer distributors for a living and my mother is an overworked, underpaid operating nurse.

And if you do decide to blame everyone else and be a loser.....please do so without taking too much of my tax dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
No, there's not "starving in the street" type poverty like India or Africa generally speaking but I think many people, including a lot of Americans don't realize just how little a lot of people in this country have.

A third of Americans make less than $15,000 a year. You might argue "that's still millions compared to people in the Third World". Well not really and here's why.

In this country healthcare is largely paid out of pocket and a car is a necessity to 80-90 percent of people and maintaining one is not cheap. A typical one bedroom apartment will cost you $8,000 a year on its own and that's in a relatively affordable city. $15,000 isn't even enough to support a bachelor honestly and some people raise kids on little more than this amount! You're essentially forced to borrow and go into debt when you're making that little, so many actually have negative income.

If you're like me and avoid debt at all costs you're sharing an apartment with someone you didn't even know beforehand and living off $8 a day after bills are paid. If I don't budget that $8 a day well, or I have some kind of expense come up I borrow money, sell something or I starve. I haven't starved yet but there's been periods as long as a week where I have to think about what I'm going to sell to buy meals for a few days. Or risk straining my relationship with a family member by more or less begging them for a small loan. My parents' insurance runs out by the time I'm 26 and if I ever get a serious health problem I'll be screwed beyond reason. My only wealth is my decent health and my youth. I'm hoping my community college will accept my FAFSA but honestly it's more of a self esteem issue than anything else. I doubt that having a degree, if I can afford to finish one will improve my prospects much. I think this country is increasingly being divided into those who get lucky by having rich supportive parents or their ventures and ideas making them rich, and everyone else who lives off welfare or works jokes of jobs that pay less than peanuts.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Very few jobs require you to have a cell phone or a car. you take the bus to work, clock in, do your eight hours and go home.

If you live out in the country, then yes, a car becomes much more important, even crucial, but not in the city.
MOST jobs require you to have a cell phone. Its 2014. I haven't worked a 8 hour 9-5 set hours job in 20 years, and none of my children or friends do. I put in far more hours, with both a cell phone, and internet being required.

Lets see...

a daughter works at her college, and doing care for disabled on call. She has to have a car to be on call
a son works in construction, on call-and driving to various parts of the state.
another daughter works at a retail store, cell phone required, but lives across the street.
another son worked at a manufacturing plant. Cell phone required.....but in all honesty I have no idea why-probably the only kid that could have managed that.
another daughter, fast food, cell phone required.

Hmm...seeing a pattern yet?

You are not going to be hired in todays market if you dont have a cell phone. Yes I am sure you can find some exceptions, but the overwhelming majority are going to require it.

Car....hmmmmm...in the city Its probably only required for about 30% of jobs. in the country though it hits 95% easily. Is it a requirement for the majority? I honestly dont know.

The constant recital that cell phones are luxuries are a indication that someone is completely out of touch with the modern job market, and the modern reality of employment. 10-20 years ago they were luxuries. Today, they're expected.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
What an absolutely terrible post. My wife grew up in a village in Eastern Europe, no running water, minimal electricity, no car. She used to take a 7 hour bus ride to Warsaw, sometimes standing through the night. She came here in 2001 in her junior year of high school. Did not speak a word of English, and came her to be with her mom, who she hadn't seen in six years. They lived in a 1-br apartment in an all black apartment complex in New Jersey.

She's now 32. She makes over $100k/yr. Had her own apartment in NYC before we moved in together, and now we / she is looking for a second condo in miami beach. Stop being a whiney little snob, put your head down and work your asss off, and take some personal responsibility. Bc your life isn't decided by anyone but you. My sister and I are both under 33 with very successful careers on Wall Street. Was it bc our parents were rich and gave us anything? My father hauls beer to beer distributors for a living and my mother is an overworked, underpaid operating nurse.

And if you do decide to blame everyone else and be a loser.....please do so without taking too much of my tax dollars.
Your wife works at a high end spa according to you:
//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...y-charges.html

Making 100K/year working as a employee at a spa......Uh huh. but she sure wasn't making 100K a year ago if I read that right.... In fact she was being jerked around and NOT paid for cancelled appointments.

And wait...this wife...is this the GF from 18 months ago? The one that...lived with you and your drug using room mate?

Which means the whole "working on wall street" is sounding better then it probably is. I mean come on you are a big wall street guy.....and were living with a druggie room mate for quite a while.
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-roommate.html

Old 12-19-2014, 11:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Address: 1234 Somewhere, apt # 2b

Some people here, and probably government as well, consider that fraud.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:46 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
I was being facetious, I know ACA didn't fix anything. This kids just a little delusional, weak, intentionally obtuse and self-pitying hack who deserves our mockery.

I guess you are the resident bully here. No one deserves mockery for any reason.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

This is a sort spot for me.

Many people here would say that poor people need to live with (share housing with) other people iin order to live within their means.

But lifelne programs provide only one subsidized phone per address. There are eight people in this house and the drunk's girlfriend has the lifeline phone so nobody else in this house can get one.

That seems fair.
Stop waiting for life to be "fair".......it won't happen.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:54 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
What strikes me as I go through this thread is the energy, the zeal, the effort that those who think they will never get ahead because of external forces beyond their control put into justifying their failure. There are a thousand reasons why I can't do something and here they all are.....can you not have put that effort into thinking about how you might shake the dickie bird of failure off your back? Every suggestion is met not with assent but with utter fatalistic denial.

"Gotta have a car" Well yeah if you're a pizza driver but for most people, no. Otherwise all those building wouldn't have parking lots to house those cars while they sit there for hours a day. "Gotta have a cell phone" Even if that is true, which I doubt for retail workers, they are cheap these days. I have all the cell phone I need for $45 a month. Don't buy a plan phone, do a straight talk, pay as you go, etc. "Goota have decent clothes" Thrift stores, anyone? I've worn thrift store sport coats for a while, the boss decided we needed to improve our image.

I get really irritated by this. I'm not the most driven person in the world, cuz here it is Saturday morning and I'm lounging with my bride surfing the net instead of setting the world on fire. And yet I have been able to carve out a decent life, traveled to Europe, indulge hobbies, and pay off a modest house and a couple of cars and motorcycles, etc. It wasn't luck, I went from 6 months of unemployment, found an opportunity and seized it. And it's been all up from there. I sometimes wonder what I could have done with even more ambition but I also value my time with family and my bride so that's the balance I chose.

So feel free to continue to work at your failure. It's not the giving up that bugs people, it's the effort you put into justifying your giving up. What would you do if there wasn't a first world safety net to keep you alive? Just give up and perish?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Very few jobs require you to have a cell phone or a car. you take the bus to work, clock in, do your eight hours and go home.
Sure helps to have these, if one is working construction type business where jobs may change on a day to day bases, a phone and owning a car is pretty much required. Even a land line, if no cell phone avaiable, a phone is a must. Picking up an employee and taking them home is not want a boss wants to do, very time consuming and $$ out the window.

My son works in the hotel business started long hours at the bottom, if he didn't have a phone he would have never gotten to a higher position of management. They called him all the time on his off days and found he was dependable, without the phone they could not call him in when needed.

Millennials are dealing with much more immigration, than most Baby boomers or Gen X. I do think a lot of these kids happen to have parents that are wealthy enough to pay their kids bills while living at home, but not if they were living on their own. This was a bad choice for parents who didn't want to be too much like their own parents. That saying, "I won't treat my kids like my parents did" that has worked out not so well. Paying their bills and making sure they had the latest gadget to keep up with Tommy did a lot of damage to this generation.

I knew many kids (friends of my own kids) that didn't even know what a chore was. Garbage overflowing in the kitchen, seemed to always be what mom and dad took care of, never the child. Cleaning their room, their bathroom was never a thought, the housekeeper could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Stop waiting for life to be "fair".......it won't happen.
Certainly won't ever be, as long as progressives keep interjecting non-American thinking and American way of life. Seems people are constantly trying to change others, rather than make things better for Americans who live here.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:19 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
A cell phone is a "necessity" in the modern world?
OK, fine! Go buy a Trac-Fone and get the annual double minutes card. It is cheap, no credit check, no employer check, no checks at all, no contract, just pay for the phone, buy the card for minutes, use your neighbor's land line to make the toll-free call to activate the phone and the minutes, and enjoy!
In the modern world, even unemployed people can have a cell phone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies