Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I guess again, it's the health issue. If I get injured or chronically ill from a job like that I'm pretty much screwed in this country, unless the job has a good insurance plan. Plus I just don't think I'm cut out for that kind of labor, I have pretty low muscle tone and I'm sort of a wimp when it comes to pain. Even a kitchen job was really hard on my body. I'd rather work in an office or even retail, of course my dream is to be a linguist but that takes college which I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford.

This thread isn't about me though - it's about Americans in general, so let's not get too OT.
No, it is about you. I will add one more thing: did you know, if you do not like the way our country is run, you can always try living in another one? Or have you thought about joining the military? You can serve your country and get a free education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 05:10 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
So basically it all boils down to rationalizing callous disregard for the basic human needs of those most vulnerable in our society through tangential misdirection and other excuses.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
So, suck it up and join the Navy or the Army or the Air Force. IF you can pass the Language Aptitude Test, any of them will be glad to send you to school to learn Arabic or Russian or Chinese or...
the food is free.
the health care is free.
the bed is free.
the training is free.
AND you get paid. You will have LESS than $8 per day disposable income for a while, though.
Low muscle tone? The military will exercise you and tone your muscles, no problem.
But, again, it will require that you WORK!
that is just what I said a minute ago. I hadn't read your comment at the time. I wanted to rep you but I have to spread it around. Have you noticed OP has mentioned jobs he/she has had, but they weren't right for them. I guess most of us can figure out, there is a lack of true desire here.

Or the more I read this thread and the comments of the OP, the more I think he is full of bull...there are too many holes in his responses.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:13 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
So basically it all boils down to rationalizing callous disregard for the basic human needs of those most vulnerable in our society through tangential misdirection and other excuses.

Screw 'em.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:55 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
That is not how it is it is how you want it to be we are a society a community and have decided a long time ago that we should look for out each other and help each other. This selfish me for me society does not exist here.
There is nothing as selfish or morally corrupt as someone who thinks they are entitled to something someone else has worked for. They are simply a parasite.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
We subsidize the poor with Food Stamps, extended unemployment insurance, and various forms of social welfare, that bump a lot of people out of the poverty rolls. And we still have a fifty year high in poverty in the US. If we did not have all these subsides we would have even more people classified as living in poverty.

The problem is that our politicians are focusing their energy on other things. We have added almost $10 trillion in new debt since 2008, and look at all the millions of new poor in our country!!! The $10 trillion went somewhere, if we look at which segment is doing better, then we'd conclude that money went to the top 1%.

So what are we going to focus on next year?

• Local police department reform?
  • Or immigration reform?
  • Or 0bama's favorite - green energy and global warming, and more punitive EPA regs to punish coal energy?
  • Or maybe we will work on creating jobs and economic prosperity in Communist Cuba instead?
  • Or maybe we'll fulfill Mitch McConnell's campaign promise, and repeal the ACA?

Well, pretty much anything but creating jobs in the US economy, that is for sure.
Unemployment is a forced insurance program. One cannot opt out. That's not the fault of the poor people.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:00 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
What strikes me as I go through this thread is the energy, the zeal, the effort that those who think they will never get ahead because of external forces beyond their control put into justifying their failure. There are a thousand reasons why I can't do something and here they all are.....can you not have put that effort into thinking about how you might shake the dickie bird of failure off your back? Every suggestion is met not with assent but with utter fatalistic denial.

"Gotta have a car" Well yeah if you're a pizza driver but for most people, no. Otherwise all those building wouldn't have parking lots to house those cars while they sit there for hours a day. "Gotta have a cell phone" Even if that is true, which I doubt for retail workers, they are cheap these days. I have all the cell phone I need for $45 a month. Don't buy a plan phone, do a straight talk, pay as you go, etc. "Goota have decent clothes" Thrift stores, anyone? I've worn thrift store sport coats for a while, the boss decided we needed to improve our image.

I get really irritated by this. I'm not the most driven person in the world, cuz here it is Saturday morning and I'm lounging with my bride surfing the net instead of setting the world on fire. And yet I have been able to carve out a decent life, traveled to Europe, indulge hobbies, and pay off a modest house and a couple of cars and motorcycles, etc. It wasn't luck, I went from 6 months of unemployment, found an opportunity and seized it. And it's been all up from there. I sometimes wonder what I could have done with even more ambition but I also value my time with family and my bride so that's the balance I chose.

So feel free to continue to work at your failure. It's not the giving up that bugs people, it's the effort you put into justifying your giving up. What would you do if there wasn't a first world safety net to keep you alive? Just give up and perish?
If there are a surplus of jobs, no matter what some people do, they won't be able to get a job.
That's a mathematical fact, not an excuse.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is just what I said a minute ago. I hadn't read your comment at the time. I wanted to rep you but I have to spread it around. Have you noticed OP has mentioned jobs he/she has had, but they weren't right for them. I guess most of us can figure out, there is a lack of true desire here.

Or the more I read this thread and the comments of the OP, the more I think he is full of bull...there are too many holes in his responses.

As i said quite awhile back. Trolling us he is.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:06 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times
New thread title;

"I don't think a lot of people realize how stupid a lot of Americans are"

Now point fingers at your political enemies you sheep.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:28 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Some people think they are poor (the OP included I believe), if they can only afford an android phone instead of an Iphone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies