Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2014, 04:46 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Edit: and just like that, it's back up.

Not sure what happened there...it did show that for a bit, but now it's back up.
That was weird. It worked this time.

Posted yesterday and it's already got nearly FIVE MILLION views. Wow.

Cool video. Thanks for posting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 06:26 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
You aren't entitled to not having your money stolen?
Apparently you have a very low opinion of yourself.
Taxation is legalized theft, yes. But that appears to be a universal truism.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Please. Feel free to leave and escape the legalized theft. Oh and I'd prefer if you didn't use any roads while doing so, so as to avoid stealing the usage of them from the rest of us. Thanks!

Old 12-23-2014, 06:57 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Taxation has nothing on usury, fractional reserve lending, fiat currency, and limited liabilities when it comes to theft. Educate yourself.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:10 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
For anyone who thinks that all the poor people are there because they are lazy, or made bad choices, I invite you to watch this video.

A person decided to give a homeless man $100, and then follow him to see how he spent it. As expected, the man went to the liquor store...and if you stop watching there, then you can continue to feel like you are right, and act smug and arrogant when talking about poor people. If you continue to watch, you will see what he actually did with the money, and you will also see the guy who gave him the hundred, and who was following him, catch up to him and pull him to the side to talk to him. He finds out how the guy became homeless in the first place...it is not always because people are lazy, or stupid, or make dumb choices...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBTAdI7zuY

Sometimes life happens, and it doesn't work out like it does on paper...or in some peoples minds. Sometimes, it's just really crappy luck, and sometimes it's a domino effect...where one bad thing after another happens, and some of those people end up in situations they never thought that they would.

Not everyone who is poor is a lazy, drug addled, alcohol swilling, idiotic parasite. Sometimes...sh** just happens. Last thing anyone should do is kick a person while they're down.
Looks like he used the money to feed 6-7 overweight homeless adults, hanging around a park, in the middle of the day.

Too bad the reporter did not make the time to talk to all of them.

The top three reasons for homelessness are addiction, domestic violence and mental illness.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Assuming, LOL. No, my comment was based on some of the never ending comments on the never ending threads by people on City Data who like to pretend that all the homeless and poor in this country aren't actually poor, or they are that way because they are idiots and lazy. Don't even sit there and say that you haven't seen those posts.

I have not seen those posts.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:08 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
If you had paid attention, he was living with them because hospice care did not cover everything, so he quit his job to take care of his sick dad who had cancer, and his mom who died of kidney failure right after that.

Try listening better next time.

By the way, it's "must have" not "must of".
spell check got to love it not a good typer but money is not a problem and I have a place to live
and still a loser should of took the money cleaned up got a job and the he could of helped a lot more.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
spell check got to love it not a good typer but money is not a problem and I have a place to live
and still a loser should of took the money cleaned up got a job and the he could of helped a lot more.
Wow. soooo...the best solution is to somehow magically get a good enough job to pay for that?

AND think that somehow having some stranger do it is better then having their child do it? You know, since they're dying and all.

Yeaaaahhh....

Old 12-24-2014, 12:04 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I don't think people in this country really realize what poor is. I'll give you a hint. It's not what you see here.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:13 AM

393 posts, read 345,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think people in this country really realize what poor is. I'll give you a hint. It's not what you see here.
Oh yeah, for sure. Excuse me while I go tell that to the people living under the freeway overpass a couple blocks from me.

Come on Stan, use your head. Are you living a sheltered, suburban life or something? I'm going to do you a favor Stan, and destroy this ill-informed opinion you and so many other Americans hold, because I keep hearing this from people like you and I'm damned sick of it.

Both my friend and I drove past a homeless shantytown just south of Downtown in San Diego, right next to the Interstate 5 freeway along a dirty, polluted waterway. We both did a double-take, turned to each other and said at the same time "....Mumbai-style!" This was about a month ago. I also get the feeling that whenever you hear the word "poverty", you're one of those who believes anything Hollywood tells them and picture brown-skinned people squatting in dirty slums outside of Mumbai, India. Well, I've got news for you - a lot of those people have regular access to laptops, cellphones, tablets, HD Television sets and bikes as well. Some of them post in forums online like this one. Just like you and me. I'm positive they have their fair share of naysayers who similarly deny the existence of poor people in their regions as well, or blame the poor and call them names. Sound familiar? I know that really bursts your close-minded bubble but that is the truth, do any Google search on it. Hell, the North Koreans have all that stuff now too. Just a bit more of that lovely globalization you guys love to praise so much. So now, your image of those countries and their people is totally blown....you're welcome!

If there's one thing I notice about my fellow Americans, it's that they consistently prefer to avoid/shade the truth. Nothing bad is ever happening, everything is always getting better, everybody who isn't me sucks and is a lazy no-good bum, everything is the currently the best it's ever been in all aspects of life, etc. This aloof attitude is present in both political parties, and if there are any problems that they do acknowledge to exist - they say that it isn't bad at all and blame it on each other. Ignorance is bliss, I guess. You'll never get a damned thing solved with that kind of thinking, I guarantee you that.

Last edited by Temeku; 12-24-2014 at 02:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies