Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 02:32 PM

53 posts, read 55,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
I do not mean to be insensitive but you are asking people to troll you. You wrote that entire post with decent grammar and articulated better than most on this forum but then want to say your a vegetable and on your best days your brain operates at 65% capacity. You threw your entire credibility right down the drain. Here is the part where you get mad and call me evil because obviously I'm calling bull****.

AS far as your larger point, the governments not going to be able to save everyone. There will be people who struggle and suffer regardless what any politician says.
Thank you for trying to not be insensitive. I do appreciate that. Yes, I am challenging people to troll me. And I'm waiting for them to. The whole point of my very personal post and truthful post is to get people to say how I could have done it better. How any of it was my fault. I want them to back up their belief system that "hard work equals success" by telling me how it applies to my situation. It is very difficult for me to put this stuff out there like this. I did not do it lightly.

As for your calling "bull****". I completely understand how my "decent grammar" and articulation would make my post seem spurious. However, what you can't know is the story behind my post. I spent 4 hours writing that post. If we counted the words in that post, how many words was I able to write per minute? Also, 65% for my brain is remarkably good. Prior to my sickness, my IQ was 145. I was reading Shakespeare in 5th grade for fun. Linguistics, vocabulary, and literature are kind of my thing. For most of my life I tested in the 99th percentile in the country for those categories. If I could have gotten paid for reading and comprehending difficult things, I'd be much more well off. My IQ is still in the 130s however my particular problem is not that I've lost my intelligence, it's that I have a remarkably hard time accessing it. My working and processing memory are completely shot. As one doctor put it, it's like trying to access all of Manhattan by one rickety rope bridge. So my good grammar and articulation unfortunately in no way affect my inability to work. My brain is a Ferrari with a geo metros engine. Imagine how frustrating that must be for me.

"AS far as your larger point, the governments not going to be able to save everyone. There will be people who struggle and suffer regardless what any politician says."

I'm interpreting this as you saying I'm an exception. I'm an exception that the government can't save. I've fallen through the cracks. But my point is I'm not an exception. There are too many people in this country with stories just like mine. There are too many cracks for us to fall through. Most of us are too proud to voice our misfortune and just keep hoping there is a way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 02:34 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,771 times
I always get a chuckle when people say with dire intonation, "people living in X survive on two dollars a day, we must help them!"

If I could survive in America on two bucks a day I'd be a very happy man indeed!

Old 02-28-2015, 02:41 PM

53 posts, read 55,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In some states (not Utah), Medicaid would pay your Medicare-B premium.

And you should qualify for Extra Help where Medicare pays a larger share of your prescription costs and sometimes your prescription plan premium:

In 2015, you may qualify if you have up to $17,655 in yearly income ($23,895 for a married couple) and up to $13,640 in resources ($27,250 for a married couple).

Save on drug costs | Medicare.gov
Thank you! I will look into these things!

Old 02-28-2015, 03:44 PM

5,996 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sorry but I don't think about "they have no choice" when I see Easter Baskets, Valentine Baskets full of candy in the supermarket with big labels "Qualifies for SNAP" .

We are beyond "necessity".
So you blame the poor for these things being qualified for SNAP?

Old 02-28-2015, 03:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
So you blame the poor for these things being qualified for SNAP?
How did you get that from my comment ? Where in those two sentences did I blame the poor ?

I said we are beyond "necessity". Is that not true ? Easter baskets are NOT a necessity in life.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:02 PM

5,996 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How did you get that from my comment ? Where in those two sentences did I blame the poor ?

I said we are beyond "necessity". Is that not true ? Easter baskets are NOT a necessity in life.
Calm down bro I never said you blamed them, I just asked if you did. It wasn't clear from your post.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
No, there's not "starving in the street" type poverty like India or Africa generally speaking but I think many people, including a lot of Americans don't realize just how little a lot of people in this country have.

A third of Americans make less than $15,000 a year. You might argue "that's still millions compared to people in the Third World". Well not really and here's why.

In this country healthcare is largely paid out of pocket and a car is a necessity to 80-90 percent of people and maintaining one is not cheap. A typical one bedroom apartment will cost you $8,000 a year on its own and that's in a relatively affordable city. $15,000 isn't even enough to support a bachelor honestly and some people raise kids on little more than this amount! You're essentially forced to borrow and go into debt when you're making that little, so many actually have negative income.

If you're like me and avoid debt at all costs you're sharing an apartment with someone you didn't even know beforehand and living off $8 a day after bills are paid. If I don't budget that $8 a day well, or I have some kind of expense come up I borrow money, sell something or I starve. I haven't starved yet but there's been periods as long as a week where I have to think about what I'm going to sell to buy meals for a few days. Or risk straining my relationship with a family member by more or less begging them for a small loan. My parents' insurance runs out by the time I'm 26 and if I ever get a serious health problem I'll be screwed beyond reason. My only wealth is my decent health and my youth. I'm hoping my community college will accept my FAFSA but honestly it's more of a self esteem issue than anything else. I doubt that having a degree, if I can afford to finish one will improve my prospects much. I think this country is increasingly being divided into those who get lucky by having rich supportive parents or their ventures and ideas making them rich, and everyone else who lives off welfare or works jokes of jobs that pay less than peanuts.
So you are newly out of HS, working min wage and waiting on your FAFSA to get approved ?

And you are commenting about "the poor" ? YOU HAVE NO CLUE.

What you are going through is what all of us went through when we "flew the coup".
Only we didn't have our parent's health insurance. We got cut off at 18.

We lived with roommates too. We had min wage jobs too. We ate mac and cheese or tuna sandwiches all the time too. We "found" our furniture on someone's driveway or payed layaway at the thrift shop.

That is not poverty. That is "starting out in life". You don't start out with a BMW, 3 bedroom home, 401K and lots of plastic in your wallet.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:18 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckalees View Post
I'm interpreting this as you saying I'm an exception.
I do not know what you are as I do not believe several years of your life was adequately presented to draw a legitimate conclusion plus the fact your brain operates no better than 65% I can not trust that you did not leave out certain details or embellished what your wrote. So its impossible draw an accurate conclusion. The skeptic in me looks at what you did post and its nothing but misfortune after misfortune which is not regular occurrence for most people, even the ones stuck in poverty perpetually. I also have my own experience of being homeless several times due to my own decisions which is equally irrelevant to your experience as its anecdotal.

Quote:
But my point is I'm not an exception.
This further raises flags to your story. You pretend you've had the typical experience yet provide no evidence to substantiate that claim.

Quote:
There are too many people in this country with stories just like mine. There are too many cracks for us to fall through. Most of us are too proud to voice our misfortune and just keep hoping there is a way out.
I'm a firm believer people will suffer for multitude of reasons and we can not save all of them. I also firmly believe majority of peoples lot in life is largely dictated by the decisions they make themselves. One of the problems I have with liberals is how often they say people can't do something. I find it astounding they have such little faith in what people can do. More often than not, if you make the right decisions you will eventually get over the hump. Can people make the right decision all the time, no they cant. Are there mechanisms to help people, yes. I know first hand people do and do not take advantage of the mechanisms afforded to them, which is fine, that is their prerogative, you will not get a judgement from me. People largely choose to live the way they want too in this country. Can we make our mechanisms more efficient, yes. However the central issue, I think, that is facing government today is the mechanisms do not address the purported problem. Things such as jail for drug addicts, minimum wage laws that does nothing to help the employee earn higher wages. Finally, its feels good to help poor people. I agree, I like helping them too but the reality is giving a hand out or doing things such as minimum wage does not address the issue.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:14 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
You're essentially forced to borrow and go into debt when you're making that little, so many actually have negative income.
The rich would rather give you a loan with the expectation of getting their money back with interest than pay you wages to work.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:54 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckalees View Post
Thank you for trying to not be insensitive. I do appreciate that. Yes, I am challenging people to troll me. And I'm waiting for them to. The whole point of my very personal post and truthful post is to get people to say how I could have done it better. How any of it was my fault. I want them to back up their belief system that "hard work equals success" by telling me how it applies to my situation. It is very difficult for me to put this stuff out there like this. I did not do it lightly.

As for your calling "bull****". I completely understand how my "decent grammar" and articulation would make my post seem spurious. However, what you can't know is the story behind my post. I spent 4 hours writing that post. If we counted the words in that post, how many words was I able to write per minute? Also, 65% for my brain is remarkably good. Prior to my sickness, my IQ was 145. I was reading Shakespeare in 5th grade for fun. Linguistics, vocabulary, and literature are kind of my thing. For most of my life I tested in the 99th percentile in the country for those categories. If I could have gotten paid for reading and comprehending difficult things, I'd be much more well off. My IQ is still in the 130s however my particular problem is not that I've lost my intelligence, it's that I have a remarkably hard time accessing it. My working and processing memory are completely shot. As one doctor put it, it's like trying to access all of Manhattan by one rickety rope bridge. So my good grammar and articulation unfortunately in no way affect my inability to work. My brain is a Ferrari with a geo metros engine. Imagine how frustrating that must be for me.

"AS far as your larger point, the governments not going to be able to save everyone. There will be people who struggle and suffer regardless what any politician says."

I'm interpreting this as you saying I'm an exception. I'm an exception that the government can't save. I've fallen through the cracks. But my point is I'm not an exception. There are too many people in this country with stories just like mine. There are too many cracks for us to fall through. Most of us are too proud to voice our misfortune and just keep hoping there is a way out.

Your situation sounds horrible hopefully things improve for you at some point. One question I had is that when the apartment burned down did you not have rental insurance? It is extremely cheap and very important. I missed that part if you did have it but that could have saved you a lot of trouble
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies