Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
He does have to be certified as no danger to society before being release. yet they can't do this as evidence by those continuing dangerous behavior.
What continuing dangerous behavior? I know you anti-gunners would love to consider attempting to buy a gun a sign of mental illness, but fortunately, it isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How ridiculous. Who is in favor of gun rights for the certifiably insane?
Go back and read the article please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:30 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What continuing dangerous behavior? I know you anti-gunners would love to consider attempting to buy a gun a sign of mental illness, but fortunately, it isn't.

Go back and read the article please.
As far as I'm concerned once you have been in the nut house your gun toting days are over. There are plenty of the rest of us to take care of the bad guys and we don't need "help" from somebody who might turn into a bull goose looney again.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:56 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
As far as I'm concerned once you have been in the nut house your gun toting days are over. There are plenty of the rest of us to take care of the bad guys and we don't need "help" from somebody who might turn into a bull goose looney again.
Really? When are you going to take care of them? Before or after the man's life is in danger? Also, being committed to a mental institution from nonthreatening or violent emotional issues stemming from a breakup, divorce, death in the family, etc does NOT make someone a "loon" or mean that any of their Rights should be taken away for life.

WTF is wrong with you people? As of now, people who own guns and knowingly need help because they're going through a rough time in their life are NOT going to seek the help they need because idiot liberal want to pushes them for life for doing so... There's a difference between having a chronic mental problem, being crazy, being violent, and a person who is currently "mentally healthy" and never has been a threat to anyone.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:53 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with the ruling but I disagree with the "Shall not be infringed" being shoved in people's faces at every opportunity. Shall not be infringed is just a phrase in a larger statement. For every "Shall not be infringed" there is a "Well regulated".

"Well regulated militia" is also self explanatory.

Militia for the times meant any able bodied person between the ages of 16 and 40. Well regulated meant that those very same citizens would be.......... "well regulated".
Reasonable restrictions is a facet of "well regulated".

How could one understand "Shall not be infringed" and not understand "Well regulated" when both phrases are used in the same sentence?
"well regulated" in the 18th century means "kept in good working order".

Your premise has failed.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:05 AM

779 posts, read 632,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Better a thousand nuts be armed than one sane man be disarmed.

That's not sarcasm either. Shall not be infringed is self-explanatory.
So where is the well regulated militia? Let's get to training!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:29 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Just a nudge to get people to amend the 2nd amendment. Get with the times people. No civillian needs to own any firearm!
I'll turn mine in just as soon as you get every gang member and criminal to turn theirs in first.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:00 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I'll turn mine in just as soon as you get every gang member and criminal to turn theirs in first.
Even then, I'm not turning mine in. Criminals will still carry knives, will travel in packs, or will find some other way to get the upper hand.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Sheesh, it was a ruling stating that the state wasn't following the law. One can have their rights removed through due process. One committed to a mental institute can have their rights removed through that process. That is backed by the Constitution.

The law stated that one must be able to prove they no longer fall into the category that got their rights removed in the first place but the state never put into place a way to do that so the state had ran afoul of the law.

There really is very little controversial here outside of the state not doing what it was required to do.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
"well regulated" in the 18th century means "kept in good working order".

Your premise has failed.

A well regulated clock......
Doesn't mean the government controls it.
It means it is fine tuned, on the money, in excellent working condition.

To me it says, all Americans were to be armed, to protect against all forms of oppression. Personal, national and global.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
So where is the well regulated militia? Let's get to training!

The civil war ended the right to militia, in the reconstitutions, of reconstruction, with the unconstitutional appointments of southern governors and legislatures, after the war and the south would not agree, still.

Before and during the civil war, you had the regiments of state militias fighting.
The 32nd ALABAMA Calvary.
The New York 45th, regiment
The Virgina 12th, brigade.

That ended. Under Grant, the Yankee military, took full control. Organized militias were defacto illegal, though no amendment to the US Constitution, states such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies