Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 07:40 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hollywood is driven by commerce, not politics.
The fact that Brietbart reported- that an internationally popular black actor was given the lead role, despite one anonymous producer's reservations- shows the single warning was ignored.

Those reservations may not have risen from considering the domestic market, either. The Japanese and Chinese tend to be hostile to all other races as a society, and both are large movie markets. Larger now than the United States.
At the same time, Africa and the Indian sub-continent, also huge and expanding markets for American movies, like black actors in lead roles. In other areas of the world, color makes no difference at all, such as Mexico and South America, also big American movie fans.

The thing is: lead actors these days have to be pretty to be big international stars these days. Denzel Washington is a very good looking man, just as Brad Pitt is, and the other men of similar age. The women these days all have to be beautiful. Most of the world doesn't want to see movies with deep serious themes these days; they want to see lots of pretty people and lots of fast action.

That's why a piece of junk like a Transformers movie makes 30 times more than an engaging personal drama. It's the rest of the world, not us, that drives the American movie industry now, and it's one of our biggest exports.
I remember people use to say spreading free market capitalism to China would make them more open to free speech and democracy. Instead the corporations are beginning to bend to China and are engaging in self censorship and are strengthening authoritarianism not weakening it. People need to realize that free market capitalism is all about profits and NOT about spreading any kind of values. The free market has and will continue to coexist with authoritarianism and will help ensure that authoritarianism has a place in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
Its a business decision. You would think that a class of people so worried about their "freedom" to make money for private corporations would realize that movies w black stars rarely make the same bucks as ones w white stars. (Not "never" but it is certainly an anomaly .)

You can continue to name some "token" black actors. Not sure if it is ignorance or stubbornness why you can't admit that for every one of those named, there is at least 10 white actors w equal or more box office pull.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:07 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
In another example of liberal racism, execs at Sony revealed that they are reluctant to cast blacks in leading roles in thier films. Libs, when they actually speak their minds in private, are usually very racist and narrow minded people who attempt to present another face in public.

Sony Hack: Studio Warned Not to Cast Denzel Washington Due to His Race - Breitbart

Good thing they reversed course with Denzel Washington in "The Equalizer". Washington is my favorite "modern" actor (I like Clint Eastwood and Jimmy Stewart from older movies) and have never seen one of his movies I did not like. However, unlike libs, when I see him, I see a great actor, not a great BLACK actor.
I guess everyone within 150 miles of Los Angeles is a liberal or something.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:22 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,238,816 times
Exclusive: Sony Emails Reveal Studio Head Wants Idris Elba For the Next James Bond - The Daily Beast

Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Yeah, because there are so many Conservatives working in Hollywood.
Wait, I thought the "greatest president in modern times," Ronald Reagan, came from Hollywood?

How about the recent Republican governor of California, Arnold Schwarzenegger?

Old 12-19-2014, 10:08 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
In another example of liberal racism, execs at Sony revealed that they are reluctant to cast blacks in leading roles in thier films. Libs, when they actually speak their minds in private, are usually very racist and narrow minded people who attempt to present another face in public.

Sony Hack: Studio Warned Not to Cast Denzel Washington Due to His Race - Breitbart

Good thing they reversed course with Denzel Washington in "The Equalizer". Washington is my favorite "modern" actor (I like Clint Eastwood and Jimmy Stewart from older movies) and have never seen one of his movies I did not like. However, unlike libs, when I see him, I see a great actor, not a great BLACK actor.
Lets just call it like it is! White racism!!!

Old 12-19-2014, 10:25 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It is interesting that under a democrat president, race relations always go to hell.
Then under a Republican Presidents, they get better.

It is like there is an agitation that the white man is keeping them down, once they get in power.
How can you say that?!!! The Reagan-bush years were the most racist years of the post civil rights era.
I don't consider it "raCIST" for the exec to comment that a leading role black would bring in less international money. This has been common knowledge for a long time. It would have been "racist" if he had used the word "schwartzer" or the N Word. Denzel has more talent than any of the white actors that they constantly pimp on the big screen even if those white actors consistently bomb. Hollywood is run by Jews and jews like to make $$ above all else. So, Denzel must be bankable; otherwise they wouldn't star him in their movies. Hollywood does have a responsibility to show diversity to the world since it taught so much racism to the world in the first place.
By the way, hollywood has consistently put Colin Farrell in starring roles despite that's he's bombed many times.

Last edited by wehotex; 12-19-2014 at 10:40 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 12:53 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Its a business decision. You would think that a class of people so worried about their "freedom" to make money for private corporations would realize that movies w black stars rarely make the same bucks as ones w white stars. (Not "never" but it is certainly an anomaly .)

You can continue to name some "token" black actors. Not sure if it is ignorance or stubbornness why you can't admit that for every one of those named, there is at least 10 white actors w equal or more box office pull.
There is an irony to complaining about Sony pulling "The Interview" while defending the reluctance to use black actors due to it being a business decision. Both are business decisions yet people are complaining more about "The Interview" being pulled rather than Hollywood's refusal to use a black actor. Hollywood is essentially engaging in a form of censorship in its reluctance to use black actors since it means movies with black themes are unlikely to be funded.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:22 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
If a three-toed, two headed pink alien actor made them money, they'd get leading roles. It's who goes to see the movies in numbers and who they want to see that counts. It's about making money.

The most important color in the movie business is green.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 AM

73,006 posts, read 62,598,043 times
This is about politics. One thing I did was ask if there were any conservative executives who gave Blacks leading roles. So far, absolutely no answer. This is all about political jingoism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies