Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm surrounded by Indians as I sit here typing this. So yes, they're definitely taking our jobs.

They're not any better at IT than we are, for what it's worth. I know. I work alongside them all day long.
Indians who moved here legally or Indians who are not legal citizens? There's an important difference. If they are legal citizens and tax payers, then they aren't stealing a job. They have just as much a right for a particular job as someone who was born here. If they are only there because they aren't citizens and can be paid less, then that's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I have witnessed businesses hiring illegals over Americans because they can save $5 an hour. Get into the real world not one made up in your mind.
I think you're both right. I have no doubt that there are jobs that aren't getting many applicants who are Americans. American culture has deemed a lot of low wage work and manual labor as 'dirty' or shameful. People raised in that type of society are likely to avoid it.

But it's something that maybe should be researched. Some fields might be more appealing to foreign workers (not talking about outsourcing), while some may attract equal amounts of applicants and the illegal immigrants are being given the jobs because it's more cost effective for the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Illegals go for the unskilled work while the H1-B's are coming for the skilled, college degree type jobs.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:03 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,822,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I live in the real world, and I know plenty of H1B workers.

Plain truth of the matter is that nobody is taking jobs, but rather those jobs are being given away by American workers. That is reality. Even the jobs typically given to illegals. Those used to be jobs for teenagers, part timers and 2nd job "make extra for XMas" workers. And everyone I know who can't find a job and blames it on outsourcing, illegals, whatever are all sadsacks who refuse to get more skills and provide more value.

That's reality.

Americans spend inordinate amounts of time talking about what they deserve, but surprisingly little time doing what's necessary to obtain it.
Why would we when we have to pay a fortune to "get more skills" and yet these people are allowed to come over here and get it all for free?

Old 12-22-2014, 01:05 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Why would we when we have to pay a fortune to "get more skills" and yet these people are allowed to come over here and get it all for free?
They don't come here and get it all for free. My last three H1B acquaintances made all moved to the US after obtaining Masters degrees in India. They come here with skills. Lots of them. That's why they get hired. They don't get handed anything, and H1Bs get treated like indentured servants, so be careful who you hate on and why.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:07 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
PS - I didn't "pay a fortune" for my skills. I learned them on the job, online for free, and some trips to the public library. All told, I have spent maybe $500 ever on materials for my IT skill set. Most anything a person would need to know is free somewhere online. Just have to go find it and start reading it.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:24 PM

62,865 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I live in the real world, and I know plenty of H1B workers.

Plain truth of the matter is that nobody is taking jobs, but rather those jobs are being given away by American workers. That is reality. Even the jobs typically given to illegals. Those used to be jobs for teenagers, part timers and 2nd job "make extra for XMas" workers. And everyone I know who can't find a job and blames it on outsourcing, illegals, whatever are all sadsacks who refuse to get more skills and provide more value.

That's reality.

Americans spend inordinate amounts of time talking about what they deserve, but surprisingly little time doing what's necessary to obtain it.
I see, so outsourcing, illegal immigration and importing other cheap, foreign workers is not negatively impacting job opportunities for Americans? Got ya! Are you not aware how illegal immigration negatively impacted American construction workers just for starters?

Old 12-22-2014, 01:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Indians who moved here legally or Indians who are not legal citizens? There's an important difference. If they are legal citizens and tax payers, then they aren't stealing a job. They have just as much a right for a particular job as someone who was born here. If they are only there because they aren't citizens and can be paid less, then that's a problem.
They aren't citizens. However, many of the Indian-born citizens we have here originally came over on the H1B program. They never should have been allowed to. We're stuck with them now, but we can at least try to stop the bleeding by getting rid of the H1B visa and start shipping these people back to India.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:39 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They aren't citizens. However, many of the Indian-born citizens we have here originally came over on the H1B program. They never should have been allowed to. We're stuck with them now, but we can at least try to stop the bleeding by getting rid of the H1B visa and start shipping these people back to India.
You may as well ship the tech companies with them to India.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:43 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,790,721 times
Sounds like Saruman hectoring the Dunlanders in "The Two Towers": they took your land, raped your women, stole your land.

Life imitates art.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:11 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
They want to make illegals legal. Now who do you think will benefit from this? The American worker? No...The people who hire them for cheap labor. Yes!The rich will get richer, the middle class gets the shaft again by both parties. We will be trampled to death with illegals seeking to become legal.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. America is destroying the American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies