Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The group most impacted by this - now and in the future - is the under 40 demographic. This is also the group that voted for Obama in the majority in 2012.

Too bad so sad.
What's your point? Do you think Romney was going to tighten the screws on foreign workers in the US? Of course not. This is a bipartisan issue where both sides of the aisle agree that importing labor is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 01:30 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Laura, What American company? If one operates globally, they are a global company.
I was referring to this comment by the previous poster:

"Around 6.3 million American 'guest workers' are working overseas."

...when I asked "How many of those are working for American companies as in their companies here transferred them there. An example of the reverse would be "How many Koreans (not Korean-Americans) are working in the US for Hyundai as in the South Koreans transferred then here.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:36 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times
I am living the American Dream. The dream that my ancestors came here looking for centuries ago. You are your only barrier. Put the blame where it belongs. On yourself.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
my boss is a mexican, he came over to united states when he was young , graduated from an american university with a degree in engineering. He is a P.E engineer and he twenty years younger than me.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:23 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I have some personal experience on the subject. I worked for a major aerospace company for 28 years. The company built plants in Mexico, China and the Czech Republic. The vast majority of all manufacturing is now done overseas. Foreign workers did not take those jobs, the company gave those jobs away. This was done before Obama took office.
Yes, this has been going on for years. I remember seeing a program where our tax dollars contributed to education was sent to other countries. Not a small amount of money. 66% of all tax dollars allloted for educaton were used to educate those in other countries. Then the government would bring them here, and give them jobs.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:52 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailhead View Post
I still have a job, so I don't know what you are talking about.

I've never blamed my situation on other people , thats a recipe for defeat.
Oh, I see. Just because YOU have a job there is no problem of outsourcing, importing legal immigrants to work for less or illegal immigration in this country that is negatively impacting American job opportunities?

Old 12-20-2014, 04:55 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
There has been almost ZERO discussion by the 3 main cable news networks what the possible impacts of the massive immigration for the past 50 years has been doing to American workers. ZERO.

So we have to look at things ourselves. Pensions in private companies have almost disappeared. Wages have not kept up with inflation. Vacations, holidays and other benefits have been reduced. The decline of private unions. Companies getting rid of older workers. More and more jobs are just part time.

All this points to a worker surplus and companies that can take advantage of people. If you do not like it - they will find someone else.

Its not just the massive amounts of immigration that is the problem, so called "free trade" and changing technology such as the internet are also a problem. But please don't tell me that bringing millions of new workers when there is a job shortage already, is not making things worse.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
I'm Canadian and I work in the US. I'm stealing your jobs, Yanks!! Watch out America...

My mum is originally from China though and works in Canada--she stole a job from a Canadian, so I suppose we're even..

Old 12-20-2014, 05:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
One in every 5 US jobs held by a foreign worker.
Net gain in employment from 11/2007 has gone to legal and illegal immigrants.

And they aren't just poor Mexicans, either...

"The influx of foreign workers includes many foreign graduates. Their arrival is forcing many debt-burdened Americans graduates to start their careers in lower-wage jobs. Those American graduates will be stuck with lower wages for many years unless employers face a shortage of workers in the next few years...Roughly one million foreign, university-trained guest workers are already working in the United States in a wide variety of long-term jobs in universities, hospitals, finance firms, retail and technology firms."

Fewer US-Born Americans Have Jobs Now Than in 2007 | The Daily Caller

There are more numbers in the article and how the number of foreign workers are increasing under the Obama administration.

Do you think the national news media doesn't talk enough about about foreign workers displacing American college graduates, that is, the focus of the news stories are overwhelmingly about the uneducated/undereducated illegal border crossers (simply because they are more burdensome to society as a whole in their need for jobs/services/entitlements where as the college educated foreign workers only impact American college graduates as it relates to jobs)?
I remember when my Mom was told that Asians were taking all the jobs when she came here in the early 1970s. She shrugged it off and kept working. She's retired now and lives comfortably. I wasn't born in the US, either, so I guess I took someone's job, too. We talk about it from time-to-time. And then we laugh a little.

[shrug]

Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my boss is a mexican, he came over to united states when he was young , graduated from an american university with a degree in engineering. He is a P.E engineer and he twenty years younger than me.

My boss is a native of the Philippines. She has been my boss for 34 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies