Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Should the Rams have been disciplined for the stupid "hands-up" crap?
Your comment is a real reach...

In NY, the cops are directly going against their boss.

Were the players protesting their own management?

Did the NFL owner complain or tell them not to? Or did they support the players?

NFL will not discipline Rams for pregame gesture - NFL.com

"We respect and understand the concerns of all individuals who have expressed views on this tragic situation," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 06:31 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
de Blasio has the support of the radicals, losers, elitists, fascists and thugs so he doesn't really need the support of the average citizen, business owner or police. NYC will now suffer for its folly in electing him.
Actually, the people of NYC are pretty much going about their daily lives because that's what they do--lots of energy there. It's Christmas, end of year, everyone is very busy with work, family, travel. While people who live all over the country in rural areas, with apparently nothing to do all day except put up Xmas lights, are busy passing judgment, making ridiculous proclamations, spending their time and energy bashing New Yorkers and freaking out over the "folly" of it all, New Yorkers are very busy being their usual workaholic productive selves. Those are the 'average citizens.' That is why I love that city and New Yorkers in general.

If the rest of the country was as productive, worked as hard, achieved as much and were as smart as New York City "losers," their economies would also be humming along. NYC is not going to suffer, believe me.

We get it--you hate liberals and would love to see NYC fail miserably. But all the venom you spew and throw at NYC matters not one iota, because NYC will be just fine and will continue to thrive as it pretty much always has. This is why the best and brightest flock there.

"New York City is sitting pretty: It is the world's most competitive city and will remain at the top of a global list of cities at least through 2025, according to a new analysis."

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...rowth-ticks-up

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...siness-capital

Old 12-22-2014, 06:35 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
You will see wingnuts trash unions at every opportunity, but you won't hear them trash the police union, because they are never denigrated on FOX News.

Teacher unions: Bad

Police unions: Great

I'm not at all surprised to see their union leader acting and sounding like a complete idiot. I've heard many union leaders sound just like him.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:36 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
What exactly were the cops supposed to do? Not arrest him at all?
Write him a ticket.

Quote:
And don't say yes because the cops were doing their job - the Chief of Dept. had JUST ordered a crack down on all sales of untaxed cigarettes. And par for the course we don't have a full video of the entire event - how long were the cops trying to take Garner in peacefully? With the amount of NYPD there (including the sergeant) I would assume that it was quite some time and the original officer(s) called in backup.
If you look you will see where I slam DiBlasio also for pushing this. I believe I called him an out of control authoritarian.

Quote:
So when Garner says "please don't arrest me" or whatever he says, and makes moves to bat away the officers, what were they supposed to do?
It should have never got there.

Quote:
And Garner knew exactly what was going to happen - you can't tell me he didn't. You don't get to be 40+ years old, have 30 some arrests and NOT know what was going to happen if he resisted arrest.
I don't think for a second that he thought an officer would choke him. After all, that would have been something he wasn't allowed to do.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Amen, Enigma777.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:38 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You will see wingnuts trash unions at every opportunity, but you won't hear them trash the police union, because they are never denigrated on FOX News.

Teacher unions: Bad

Police unions: Great

I'm not at all surprised to see their union leader acting and sounding like a complete idiot. I've heard many union leaders sound just like him.
The head of the police union doesn't seem to have both rockers on the ground.

NYPD Union President Patrick Lynch Is Completely Nuts: A History

Old 12-22-2014, 06:39 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
The only union moonbats trash is the police union, and only because they are making the LWNJ pols look bad.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:40 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Should NY Police Officers That Turned Their Backs On Their Mayor Be Disciplined?

Yell yes!!! These clowns are a disgrace to public servants everywhere. Police organizations should mold their disciple after how the military operates. There is way too much leeway to be political or support an environment influenced by special interests. The police union is a major enabler to this this type of culture and attitude!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:43 PM

17,358 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Write him a ticket.

If you look you will see where I slam DiBlasio also for pushing this. I believe I called him an out of control authoritarian.

It should have never got there.

I don't think for a second that he thought an officer would choke him. After all, that would have been something he wasn't allowed to do.
You're really not answering the questions with logical, this-is-what-happens-in-the-real-world-with-the-current-laws-and-rules-we-have answers. It's akin to a "because I say so" answer.

It's great that you don't agree w/ De Blasio and the practice of arresting people selling loosies - but the cops did what they were instructed to do by their superiors.

And you're right, it should've never gotten there - and the person who had the most control of the situation was ERIC GARNER.

And really? He sees 6 officers surrounding him to arrest him and he doesn't think "oh, this might get a little rough if I don't comply?" I doubt it. He knew how it was going to end up - with him in cuffs. Garner was in total control of how easy or hard it was going to be.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:44 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Should the Rams have been disciplined for the stupid "hands-up" crap?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with what some of the Ram players did. And you know what? Both the NFL and the Rams organization agrees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies