Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:57 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How ? Greywar said $1 more would result in $.90 additional tax.

I used the tax tables to show the real results of a $1 increase.

There are lots of people that don't understand the tax laws.
How many times I have argued that the mortgage interest deduction is not dollar for dollar.
Greywar's example was hypothetical, but because you obviously aren't displaying reading comprehension skills.. you misrepresented the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 03:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Greywar's example was hypothetical, but because you obviously aren't displaying reading comprehension skills.. you misrepresented the argument.
Oh you'd rather live in the hypothetical world where the numbers always work out to your advantage ?

Old 12-23-2014, 03:17 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
How ? Greywar said $1 more would result in $.90 additional tax.

I used the tax tables to show the real results of a $1 increase.

There are lots of people that don't understand the tax laws.
How many times I have argued that the mortgage interest deduction is not dollar for dollar.
Let me explain the difference between tax brackets, and line 44 on your tax forms.

Tax brackets are when the % rate of your income tax rate changes from X% to Y%

Line 44 on the 2013 tax forms is simply a convenience for maths sake. moving that extra dollar is not moving you into a new tax bracket. I suppose we could argue for people to do the math, but is often displayed here that might be asking too much. So instead we have a lookup table that is rounded in $50 dollar increments-why not $1 increments? Because who wants a 5000 page lookup table.

PS-another way of looking at it is...the next $49 dollars are 100% TAX FREE! WOOT!

Thus the ONLY paycheck where the extra income matters is your VERY last week of the year.

Last edited by greywar; 12-23-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 12-23-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Let me explain the difference between tax brackets, and line 44 on your tax forms.

Tax brackets are when the % rate of your income tax rate changes from X% to Y%

Line 44 on the 2013 tax forms is simply a convenience for maths sake. moving that extra dollar is not moving you into a new tax bracket. I suppose we could argue for people to do the math, but is often displayed here that might be asking too much. So instead we have a lookup table that is rounded in $50 dollar increments-why not $1 increments? Because who wants a 5000 page lookup table.

PS-another way of looking at it is...the next $49 dollars are 100% TAX FREE! WOOT!

Thus the ONLY paycheck where the extra income matters is your VERY last week of the year.
What I first stated was that all it took was $1 to move you to the next bracket and add on to your tax.
Now what if that $1 was earned on 12/31 ? No you don't get your next $49 FREE

With Obamacare though people do need to pay close attention to what they are earning due to the subdizies.
Go over and you could lose all those subsidies which means you have to pay them back come next April.

But this discussion has gotten the thread off track which is about the 75% tax in France.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
What I first stated was that all it took was $1 to move you to the next bracket and add on to your tax.
Now what if that $1 was earned on 12/31 ? No you don't get your next $49 FREE

With Obamacare though people do need to pay close attention to what they are earning due to the subdizies.
Go over and you could lose all those subsidies which means you have to pay them back come next April.

But this discussion has gotten the thread off track which is about the 75% tax in France.
Thats not a tax bracket. And as I said, unless its the VERY last paycheck of the year it doesn't matter. Your "example" is fairly rare, and averaged over every year it averages out to no effect.

Anyways back to France. Anyone know the total tax burden is in France?

Old 12-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Thats not a tax bracket. And as I said, unless its the VERY last paycheck of the year it doesn't matter. Your "example" is fairly rare, and averaged over every year it averages out to no effect.

Anyways back to France. Anyone know the total tax burden is in France?
Well it depends. I had a windfall one year that would have creamed me in taxes as I plan so I pay a few hundred each year. I was able to defer that until the next year so I could adjust my withholding and also sell off a few loser stocks to offset it.

See I plan my taxes so that I pay each year. Uncle Sam doesn't get use of my money for a year; I get use of Uncle Sam's money for a year !! Even though it's my money to begin with..go figure.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:15 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times

Old 12-23-2014, 04:24 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Uhmmm..you do know that in the same post you state that actors weren't making more movies because they only made 9% of their income a hour, AND that few paid that rate in reality....in fact that they were discussing tax shelters...tax shelters for the imaginary movies they weren't making?

The reality is that a high tax rate will not kill us. We've done it before, and didn't fall into the ocean.
Why would you want to?

The purpose of government is to defend my freedom, not force me to be slave.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
This seems irrelevant to tax codes. Since taxes affect earnings, the risk has already been realized by the time the tax collector comes around. It's most certainly about return, but has nothing to do with risk.
Really?

Is every liberal a grade-school dropout?

Imagine for a minute, that I have a cool million to invest in a new venture.

As equity owner, I realize my return from profits made by the company. I invest a cool 1 mil and in 5 years I want 1.5 mil return. At zero percent tax rate, I can recoup my investments in the first 1 million profit and my return in the next half million profit. Total profit required - 1.5 million. The chances of a 1 million dollar venture making 1.5 million in 5 years - not bad.

At 75% tax rate, the business will have to earn 6 mil for me to reach my goal. The chances of a business started with 1 million profiting 6 million in 5 years basically do not exist. Ergo, I will invest elsewhere, or not invest at all.

It seems you people forget that investors recoup their investments with AFTER TAX PROFITS.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Really?

Is every liberal a grade-school dropout?

Imagine for a minute, that I have a cool million to invest in a new venture.

As equity owner, I realize my return from profits made by the company. I invest a cool 1 mil and in 5 years I want 1.5 mil return. At zero percent tax rate, I can recoup my investments in the first 1 million profit and my return in the next half million profit. Total profit required - 1.5 million. The chances of a 1 million dollar venture making 1.5 million in 5 years - not bad.

At 75% tax rate, the business will have to earn 6 mil for me to reach my goal. The chances of a business started with 1 million profiting 6 million in 5 years basically do not exist. Ergo, I will invest elsewhere, or not invest at all.

It seems you people forget that investors recoup their investments with AFTER TAX PROFITS.
He's arguing semantics with you. You're arguing reality. Technically you are both right. You're just more based upon what actually occurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies