Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
When a cyber attack takes out our power grids we will self destruct.
Or the aging grid and other infrastructure which we are 'fixing' with tape finally fails and then we and Canada are in deep do do. Remember the grid is connected and does not follow national lines. The internet could keep going with sufficent power, since it was designed to survive destruction, but our usual life would be over. When one of the most far reaching power blackouts which took out the whole east coast was caused by a tree falling over in distant hills where little had been done for decades to maintain the lines it should have been a wakeup that we should not assume it takes a huge sun spot or some enemy to knock normal modern life back a few decades. And when this day comes it will NOT be a quick fix. Life will become local again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Or the aging grid and other infrastructure which we are 'fixing' with tape finally fails and then we and Canada are in deep do do. Remember the grid is connected and does not follow national lines. The internet could keep going with sufficent power, since it was designed to survive destruction, but our usual life would be over. When one of the most far reaching power blackouts which took out the whole east coast was caused by a tree falling over in distant hills where little had been done for decades to maintain the lines it should have been a wakeup that we should not assume it takes a huge sun spot or some enemy to knock normal modern life back a few decades. And when this day comes it will NOT be a quick fix. Life will become local again.
Agreed tho with CFL's, solar and so on; there'd be less need for huge amounts of electricity from the grid to keep going compared to even 10 years back IMHO. So even a massive grid crash wouldn't be as serious.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 PM

274 posts, read 238,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Here is yet another insane fear mongering conservative oh the world is falling post.
I have not taken the time to read any of the OP's other posts but I did not read into his comment a political agenda. I do agree with you he is wrong but not because of any Political slant he may have.

Quote:
conservatives are wrong about everything.
You lost all credibility with that last blanket condemnation.

Quote:
How long are we going to pretend they make sense?
I take it you mean Liberals when you use the term "we". As such, I would say you all have an impressively lengthy track record of pretending and I see no evidence of that trend changing in the near future given your comments. The saying, "Too far gone to realize it" comes to mind when I read your rant.

Quote:
Remember how we had to ban all West Africans an ignorant and racist policy idea that conservativrs were running with while they lied about Ebola. They were utterly wrong and proven wrong by reality.
Feel free to provide the link to the quote where a it was decided by the "conservative" politicians we had to ban "all" West Africans. Ignorance is failing to act contrary to the evidence at hand and deciding to limit exposure to an epidemic is hardly ignorant. Viruses do not have a racial characteristic and so your claim that a temporary halt to flights from countries with documented cases of Ebola as being racist is baseless. It is tragically amusing though.

Quote:
Remember how Central Americans coming to America were going to cause a humanitarian crisis that was going to last for years and overwhelm America with diseases, and they'd never be deported? Again conservatives were 100% wrong again.
please share with me what you think you know about this because you in fact are wrong. Full disclosure my wife is from El Salvador and I am intimately familiar with the costs of the migration of Central Americans both Adults and unaccompanied Minors on our infrastructure schools and hospitals as well as our economy. We have yet to receive the bill as "they" are still coming into the country. You may want to wait to pat yourself on the back for your amazing insight.

Quote:
I can go on, the number of things conservatives have gotten completely wrong is staggering.
Of this I have no doubt, just as I also have no doubt you would be wrong on all your additional points.

Quote:
The stimulus, ACA, war in Iraq, the auto bail outs, torture/war on terror. All more topics conservatives were 100% wrong sbout everything they said was going to happen but didn't.

the ACA is a wreck. insurance costs have gone up and no we did not get to keep our Doctor. I have people in my Family that paid out of pocket for office visits because they had no insurance. Thanks to the mandate they now do have coverage through the state exchAnge unfortunately after paying premiums they cannot afford the copay or prescription costs so in fact they have effectively no insurance coverage and are worse off as a result. My own rates through my nice cushy Government employee plan increased $100 and went from the best PPO plan to the POS plan which is HMO by another name. Again you are wrong.

War in Iraq was based on faulty Intelligence. I suppose you have never been given bad information and acted on it without benefit of hindsight. of course not.

Auto bailouts... The only people who won here was the Auto Industry. Which I don't know if you also drive with your eyes closed much the way you do when you post but you may notice Americans are not buying American vehicle they buy Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Nissan etc.

Torture/War on Terror... So I suppose ISIL ISIS or the Islamic State, along with Al Queda and the Taliban are comprised of members of the U.S military or just a conservative invention? Who is delusional here?

So run along now Iamme73 and grab yourself a nice Latte with Soy milk and a Gluten Free Tofu pastry it is almost Time for MSNBC.

On a serious note you need to open your eyes and take a deep breath and wake up. Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2014, 09:31 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
I have not taken the time to read any of the OP's other posts but I did not read into his comment a political agenda. I do agree with you he is wrong but not because of any Political slant he may have.

You lost all credibility with that last blanket condemnation.

I take it you mean Liberals when you use the term "we". As such, I would say you all have an impressively lengthy track record of pretending and I see no evidence of that trend changing in the near future given your comments. The saying, "Too far gone to realize it" comes to mind when I read your rant.

Feel free to provide the link to the quote where a it was decided by the "conservative" politicians we had to ban "all" West Africans. Ignorance is failing to act contrary to the evidence at hand and deciding to limit exposure to an epidemic is hardly ignorant. Viruses do not have a racial characteristic and so your claim that a temporary halt to flights from countries with documented cases of Ebola as being racist is baseless. It is tragically amusing though.

please share with me what you think you know about this because you in fact are wrong. Full disclosure my wife is from El Salvador and I am intimately familiar with the costs of the migration of Central Americans both Adults and unaccompanied Minors on our infrastructure schools and hospitals as well as our economy. We have yet to receive the bill as "they" are still coming into the country. You may want to wait to pat yourself on the back for your amazing insight.

Of this I have no doubt, just as I also have no doubt you would be wrong on all your additional points.

the ACA is a wreck. insurance costs have gone up and no we did not get to keep our Doctor. I have people in my Family that paid out of pocket for office visits because they had no insurance. Thanks to the mandate they now do have coverage through the state exchAnge unfortunately after paying premiums they cannot afford the copay or prescription costs so in fact they have effectively no insurance coverage and are worse off as a result. My own rates through my nice cushy Government employee plan increased $100 and went from the best PPO plan to the POS plan which is HMO by another name. Again you are wrong.

War in Iraq was based on faulty Intelligence. I suppose you have never been given bad information and acted on it without benefit of hindsight. of course not.

Auto bailouts... The only people who won here was the Auto Industry. Which I don't know if you also drive with your eyes closed much the way you do when you post but you may notice Americans are not buying American vehicle they buy Toyota, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Nissan etc.

Torture/War on Terror... So I suppose ISIL ISIS or the Islamic State, along with Al Queda and the Taliban are comprised of members of the U.S military or just a conservative invention? Who is delusional here?

So run along now Iamme73 and grab yourself a nice Latte with Soy milk and a Gluten Free Tofu pastry it is almost Time for MSNBC.

On a serious note you need to open your eyes and take a deep breath and wake up. Happy New Year!
This long post. I'll see how long I stay interested. Not that it matters, if you are a conservative reality is wholly irrelevant to you and you view reality as an obstacle to best be ignored.

Nah, his post is pretty much the conservative bed wetting irrational playbook about the state of the world.

No, I told the truth, conservatives are wrong about everything.

President Obama said Saturday that a travel ban on Ebola-ridden countries in West Africa could make the crisis worse, and urged Americans not to panic over the outbreak.

Mr. Obama has said he is not philosophically opposed to travel bans but made clear in his weekly address that he does not intend to implement one.

“We can’t just cut ourselves off from West Africa,” Mr. Obama said, arguing that a commercial travel ban would hinder U.S. efforts to stymie the spread of the disease in the region. He added that a travel ban would further motivate people in the region to flee, making it harder to track cases.

“Trying to seal off an entire region of the world — if that were even possible — could actually make the situation worse,” Mr. Obama said.

He predicted that more cases could develop within the United States, but reminded the nation that the disease is not easily transmissible.

“What we’re seeing now is not an ‘outbreak’ or an ‘epidemic’ of Ebola in America,” he said. “This is a serious disease, but we can’t give in to hysteria or fear.”

Conservative lawmakers have called upon the president to implement a travel ban and to cease granting travel visas to non U.S. citizens seeking entry into the country from Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

Sen Ted Cruz argued that the U.S. could still implement a travel ban while continuing to offer medical support via military transport, and Louisiana Republican Gov. Bobby Jindal called on the president to add all healthcare workers that had been in contact with Ebola patients to the no-fly list.

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul argued on CNN that the disease was far more transmissible than the Obama administration has publicly stated. He blasted the president for saying Ebola was just as difficult to catch as the AIDs, citing CDC information that suggested otherwise.

“They say all it takes is direct contact to get this,” Mr. Paul, an ophthalmologist, said. “If you listen carefully, they say being three feet away from someone is direct contact. That’s not what most Americans think is direct contact.”

See President Obama was proven right by reality

And all those conservatives were being proven wrong by reality.

I'll stop here already bored.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:03 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Thanks. I know that Germany was over a barrel but, I found it hard to believe that it was over 500 billion with a "B" 100 years ago. Yowza!
Your welcome. just goes to show there are always two sides to a story.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default World war 3 is beginning to happen

No it isn't.

Relax and enjoy the new year, everyone.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:33 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It may start as economic and cyber "warfare" but it will most assuredly end as bombs and bullets. Human nature.
They are breaking the Russian government. Like everything else, Obama is not thinking this one through very well. Russia will not go out without a fight of some kind.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:49 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They are breaking the Russian government. Like everything else, Obama is not thinking this one through very well. Russia will not go out without a fight of some kind.

They're very busy fighting Ukraine. And not making much progress.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:34 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
The new age of war is now economic and cyber warfare. Example. All of Europe and America is at war with russia through economic warefare. We are destroying Russia's economy through international cooperation and sanctions. We are retaliating against North Korea by covertly shutting down their internet, not with bombs. The new world order is now about building economic relationships with as many powerful countries as possible and leveraging that. Other countries friendly to Russia are now avoiding it because of the negative economic impact alliances will have compared to the EU and America. At the end of the day all people care about is their standard of living and money. For all you drama queens and war mongers, you will be disappointed that future wars in the developed world will not be fought with bombs and bullets.
Economic and other "soft" attacks have been going on since before 400BC (Peloponnesian War, aka greeks)

Realizing it now, doesn't make it some sort of "new age".

Soft attacks have been especially noteworthy during the cold war since the advent of nuclear wheapons has rendered open warfare with such countries an impossibility.

P.S. North Korea in particular has been running drug and counterfeiting operations targeting the US and Japan for a looooong time. Notice the new $100 bill? A lot of that is due to NK.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:41 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Economic and other "soft" attacks have been going on since before 400BC (Peloponnesian War, aka greeks)

Realizing it now, doesn't make it some sort of "new age".

Soft attacks have been especially noteworthy during the cold war since the advent of nuclear wheapons has rendered open warfare with such countries an impossibility.

P.S. North Korea in particular has been running drug and counterfeiting operations targeting the US and Japan for a looooong time. Notice the new $100 bill? A lot of that is due to NK.
It ain't doing NK a lot of good IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies