Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:24 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
They know their place in the south. People are more polite to each other in public. You don't know who is armed or has quick access to family and friends who are armed.
Know one's place? Explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 01:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I will remember this Christmas jessica chambers of 19 who hurt no one burned alive rip
Panola ms

Old 12-24-2014, 01:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I will remember this Christmas jessica chambers of 19 who hurt no one burned alive rip
Panola ms

Have some more eggnog for her.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:18 PM

72,978 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Missouri is one of those "almost southern" states.
Missouri has a weird dichotomy. Its two largest cities are basically northern cities, Kansas City and St. Louis. No one would mistaken the Show Me state's largest cities for southern cities, no one. No one in the South claims those cities, unless it's the World Series and the St. Louis Cardinals are playing

However, go below the Missouri River and you get into the Ozarks, which is basically alot like Arkansas. Go to the areas along the Mississippi River south of St. Louis, and you start to get more of a southern feel the further south you go. Missouri was a slave state and was technically admitted to the Confederate States of America on 28 November 1861. However, Missouri was never under effective Confederate control. Missouri also had Jim Crow laws like the South did.

And then there is Kansas City, which is like a gateway to the Great Plains. Missouri basically represents where the South, North, and Great Plains meet.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:17 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,132,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Missouri has a weird dichotomy. Its two largest cities are basically northern cities, Kansas City and St. Louis. No one would mistaken the Show Me state's largest cities for southern cities, no one. No one in the South claims those cities, unless it's the World Series and the St. Louis Cardinals are playing

However, go below the Missouri River and you get into the Ozarks, which is basically alot like Arkansas. Go to the areas along the Mississippi River south of St. Louis, and you start to get more of a southern feel the further south you go. Missouri was a slave state and was technically admitted to the Confederate States of America on 28 November 1861. However, Missouri was never under effective Confederate control. Missouri also had Jim Crow laws like the South did.

And then there is Kansas City, which is like a gateway to the Great Plains. Missouri basically represents where the South, North, and Great Plains meet.
There is a reason why Missouri was once considered the bellwether state and that is because of this diversity. A close friend of mine who grew up in St. Louis always tells me St. Louis is more of a rust belt city rather than a Southern one. He is also of German Catholic descent like a significant number of St. Louisians which makes it very different from the rest of the South since White Southerners are disproportionately Anglo-Celtic.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:09 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
The crime rate for Blacks in the northern cities has been historically higher than it was in the South and that trend continues to this day. Race relations are better in the South because you have much fewer liberal agitators to stir the pot of racial resentment.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:17 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
I have said this before on here and I'll say it again. I was born, raised and then lived more than half my life in northern states. I have lived in very poor neighborhoods and very wealthy neighborhoods in both the north and the south. The most racist people (white AND black) I have ever encountered was when I lived in Michigan. The least racist people (again white and black), that I have encountered, were in North Carolina.

Many people that make claims about areas of the country have never lived in those areas nor have they lived next door to people of a different color in those areas. Disagree all you want. Unless you have experienced it first hand you don't have a leg to stand on.
A lot of people overlook housing segregation. The north has more inequality due to higher levels of wealth. That wealth almost exclusively went to whites, so they migrated further away from blacks. Black neighborhoods were left to rot. The most racially segregated states are all in the northern half of the country. These cities got highly segregated when blacks moved in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
The crime rate for Blacks in the northern cities has been historically higher than it was in the South and that trend continues to this day. Race relations are better in the South because you have much fewer liberal agitators to stir the pot of racial resentment.
This is just asinine.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
There is a reason why Missouri was once considered the bellwether state and that is because of this diversity. A close friend of mine who grew up in St. Louis always tells me St. Louis is more of a rust belt city rather than a Southern one. He is also of German Catholic descent like a significant number of St. Louisians which makes it very different from the rest of the South since White Southerners are disproportionately Anglo-Celtic.
Missouri was a slave state. As a kid growing up in Pennsylvania, we thought MO was the south. Later, living in the midwest and west, I learned people in these parts of the country consider MO midwest.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's still quite common to hear liberals trumpeting on about race relations in the South still being among the worst in the country. When you look at the recent round of incidents, they have all taken place in the Midwest or NYC. Michael Brown and the incident last night were both in St. Louis metro. Chicago is absolutely devastated in black on black violence. The Tamir Rice incident was in Cleveland. Garner was in NYC.

If the South is so bad, why aren't blacks being pretty much lynched left and right by the angry white cops? Could it be the race relations in these Rust Belt areas are much worse than the South?
I have never been to the rust belt or NYC, but i can tell you race relations here in the South have never been all that peachy.

You are arguing perception based on recent media publications rather than research into reality.

Racism is open down here. Someone can openly say they think a black guy dating a white girl is disgusting and when confronted about it, the response is " everyone has a right to their opinion". Black people are still told " not to be caught on the other side of the train tracks after dark", and other things like that.

This is a clear case of people believing that because you dont see it on the news, it isnt happening.

but just for a reference.

Video shows white teens driving over, killing black man, says DA - CNN.com

Old 12-24-2014, 09:09 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The percentage of blacks in Mississippi is the highest in the country, by a pretty wide margin. The issue isn't race, or even "poverty", it's culture. The urban inner-cities bring out, or attracts, the animals in all races.
Yeah, talk about those animals in San Francisco, or Manhattan, of DuPont circle in DC, yeah what a rough life. No wonder it brings out the animal in those who live there. Maybe they should all become sane and move out to hell holes (Oh I'm sorry, I meant the suburbs, and the countryside).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies