Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2014, 08:57 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I read the story. He drew the gun. Part of me wants to say he got what was coming. I also find myself asking this. What are the chances of a Black teenager getting killed by a police officer for initiating force vs a non-Black teenager also initiating force against a police officer? It's already a moot point that there Blacks who pull guns on police officers. I'm talking about what happens on the occasion said person commits a crime.
My husband is a retired cop and I don't even need to consult with him to answer that question. Person pointing gun at cop = dead person.

There's no color question on this one. Not even for a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 09:02 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
My husband is a retired cop and I don't even need to consult with him to answer that question. Person pointing gun at cop = dead person.

Doesn't need to even be a Cop. Point a gun at someone and if they have one too (and can fire first) you are ventilated.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:06 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ban all Blacks Males from possessing firearms under the age of 25. It's the only way to prevent Black Homicide Victimization.

I know all hoplophobes will get behind this one.
I have no idea what a hoplophobe is, but your idea stinks. I really believe in the Slippery Slope argument and have argued the point many times on this forum re: various forms of government over-reach. The Constitution aside, this country does NOT have the right to single out blacks in the way you propose even if it is "for their own good"..

We need to WORK THE PROBLEM. What is the problem and what is the solution? A topic that has already been run around many, many, many times on this forum. What is NOT the problem are law abiding black gun owners under the age of 25.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:14 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how in the world is someone supposed to 'prove' something that hasn't happened yet?

seriously, all your shrieks of 'prove it!' are kinda embarrassing...
How? That is my point. Said person is so sure that banning all Black men under 25 from having guns will stop Black criminals from committing murder. I asked said person to prove it. My "shrieks" are not unwarranted. The burden of proof is on that person to prove that such a plan would work. Said person has not proven that point. Look at Chicago. Mayor Daley banned hand guns. Didn't stop Black criminals from getting them, and the number of murders reaching 900+. Criminals do not obey laws. That was my point. Disarming a person who is law abiding in the first place is stupid, especially considering that the Constitution guarantees one's right to bear arms.

Look at Vermont. Very lenient gun laws and a very low murder rate.

Virginia has one of the highest percentages of Blacks in the USA, ranking 9th, around 20%. Gun laws in that state are not stringent at all. Virginia has a low murder rate, 3.8 murders per 100,000. Hampton, Virginia is 49.6% Black, and has a murder rate of 6.5 murders per 100,000.

St. Louis has a similar proportion of Blacks, but the murder rate in that city is 6 times higher. The state of Missouri has a higher murder rate over all, even though Blacks make up 11% of the population.

Virginia, 20% Black, 1.5 million Blacks in the state. A murder rate of 3.8 murders per 100,000
Missouri, 11% Black, 700,000 Blacks in the state. A murder rate of 6.1 murders per 100,000

A better question is this. Why is there less violence among Blacks in Virginia than in Missouri?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:16 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
I read the story. He drew the gun. Part of me wants to say he got what was coming. I also find myself asking this. What are the chances of a Black teenager getting killed by a police officer for initiating force vs a non-Black teenager also initiating force against a police officer? It's already a moot point that there Blacks who pull guns on police officers. I'm talking about what happens on the occasion said person commits a crime.
The cop sees the gun. Just hold tight, you will get your white kid shot and killed soon. Hope that evens the score. But yes, I think over the last few years there is a fear growing of black youth. I would keep my children home and make sure they did not have a gun. Stay safe. Pray for America

Old 12-24-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what a hoplophobe is, but your idea stinks. I really believe in the Slippery Slope argument and have argued the point many times on this forum re: various forms of government over-reach. The Constitution aside, this country does NOT have the right to single out blacks in the way you propose even if it is "for their own good"..

We need to WORK THE PROBLEM. What is the problem and what is the solution? A topic that has already been run around many, many, many times on this forum. What is NOT the problem are law abiding black gun owners under the age of 25.
I've pointed out what the Constitution says about gun rights as well. This means nothing to the person who said "let's disarm all Blacks". I look at it like this. If the government will take away one group's rights, what is to stop the government from taking away everyone else's rights?

I've pointed out that the Blacks who commit murder are often criminals doing this. The law-abiding Blacks aren't the ones to worry about.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I would agree that pulling a gun on a cop is a stupid idea. No one should do that. I just wonder sometimes. If this was not brought to the media, no one would be discussing it. I wonder because there is a growing fear of young Blacks.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:22 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
My question is given his record is "What the hell was he doing on the streets?". He should have been locked up.

As Jermaine pointed out the protestors are now supporting lawlessness.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:24 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
Quote:
I have my reasons to believe, that when things reach a point where a person pulls a gun and points it towards a police officer, or, tries to snag the officers gun whilst attacking him, the race of said offender becomes completely irrelevant in the eyes of most any officer, if it already wasn't before that point.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The cop sees the gun. Just hold tight, you will get your white kid shot and killed soon. Hope that evens the score. But yes, I think over the last few years there is a fear growing of black youth. I would keep my children home and make sure they did not have a gun. Stay safe. Pray for America
That part does concern me. It isn't really this shooting that is the concern. You pull a gun, you get shot. It is the growing fear of Black youths that makes me wonder about certain things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies