Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What has increased so that when I did it in 1985, I was paid $3.85/hr - that it should now pay $10+/hr ?

If it kept up with the hidden tax the Federal Reserve places on us, by manipulating the dollar, $10, is not even equal to $3.85 in 1985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 07:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Just think, instead of income based tax every year, you as an individual, were taxed based upon your net wealth. An inventory of your assets, determining your payment to society.

The wealthy you are, the more you pay, base upon a set rate for everyone.
5% - 10% - 20% - 50% - 75% - 100% as long as everyone has the same rate not some curve.
Hiding assets would become a big game.

The you didn't build it theory at play.

Personally, if we are going to be taxed, it should be a consumption tax, not income or wealth based.
I agree. Consumption taxes encourage saving and require anyone who consumes to pay them. We'd pick up illegals and criminals who are currently not paying taxes on what they earn or own. Corporations would pay taxes on the raw materials they buy. I have no idea why we're sticking with an income tax.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. Consumption taxes encourage saving and require anyone who consumes to pay them. We'd pick up illegals and criminals who are currently not paying taxes on what they earn or own. Corporations would pay taxes on the raw materials they buy. I have no idea why we're sticking with an income tax.

Taxed for consuming resources of the nation. Material and human.
Not the prosperity, where it penalizes you for being productive.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:05 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
o

Consider the proposed FairTax as an example of a national consumption tax.

Homeowner buys existing home - no tax. Homeowner also gets preferential property tax rate.

Renter rents the same existing home pays 30% tax on the rent he pays. Rental property tax rate is higher than homeowner property tax rate, and as part of the rent he paysm he even pays 30% on top of the higher property tax.

A renter who pays over a lifetime an extra 30% to rent - if he can't afford to save money by buying a house he can't afford to retire either.

Who is proposing that?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Only if homeowners pay tax on their housing consumption just as renters pay tax on their housing consumption.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Who is proposing that?

http://archive.fairtax.org/

The facts about Herman Cain's 9-9-9 tax plan | PolitiFact

National Retail Sales Tax

Old 01-02-2015, 04:29 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
I think if one is considering a 'fair tax,' it makes sense to consider whether people (as individuals) & corporations (individually) are taxed fairly.

Corporations are not people. Equating corporative entities with people begins as a false premise. It's no wonder this faulty premise has led to no solutions (or reasonable outcomes). Syllogistic reasoning demands beginning with, at least, a plausible premise. One of the illogical & faith-based ideologies enabling this type of illogical narrative (& faulty premise) is free market fundamentalism.

This (& other unreasonable ideologies) seems to place a Peoples' financial sovereignty in the 'hands' of Corporations (sometimes with suggestions of 'privatization') or, in the nonexistent 'Invisible Hand' of ??? (I think using the adjective 'invisible' to describe provides a clue to this mind set.) Legal however fictional characters (Corporations) owe no allegiance or responsibility to the people. The model is designed to avoid liability & not to encourage responsibility.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:14 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Only if homeowners pay tax on their housing consumption just as renters pay tax on their housing consumption.
What is "housing consumption"?

Old 01-02-2015, 02:16 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I think if one is considering a 'fair tax,' it makes sense to consider whether people (as individuals) & corporations (individually) are taxed fairly.

Corporations are not people. Equating corporative entities with people begins as a false premise. It's no wonder this faulty premise has led to no solutions (or reasonable outcomes). Syllogistic reasoning demands beginning with, at least, a plausible premise. One of the illogical & faith-based ideologies enabling this type of illogical narrative (& faulty premise) is free market fundamentalism.

This (& other unreasonable ideologies) seems to place a Peoples' financial sovereignty in the 'hands' of Corporations (sometimes with suggestions of 'privatization') or, in the nonexistent 'Invisible Hand' of ??? (I think using the adjective 'invisible' to describe provides a clue to this mind set.) Legal however fictional characters (Corporations) owe no allegiance or responsibility to the people. The model is designed to avoid liability & not to encourage responsibility.
Why don't you start a thread about all this fiction, so we can discuss it on topic.

It needs to be debunked as the nonsense it is.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:57 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Why don't you start a thread about all this fiction, so we can discuss it on topic.

It needs to be debunked as the nonsense it is.
Some folks giving orders & others obeying them.

How unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies