Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 06:21 AM

89,004 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Where is the evidence (stats) on the millions of folks?
Read The Millionaire Next Door. Last updated in 2010, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 06:32 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The cuts are made to the connstituencies with the least political power. That's why food stamps get cut while the mortgage interest deduction lives on and on and on.
First of all, every citizen gets one vote, so nobody has more clout than anyone else.

And I know your pathological envy of homeowners makes you believe that they enjoy huge riches brought about the mortgage interest deduction, but that's simply not the case. Only about half of all homeowners even take the deduction, and those that do usually get a few hundred dollars off of their taxes. And unlike food stamp recipients, they actually contribute to the tax pool through property taxes.

Let me know when the food stamp recipient gets cut to a few hundred dollars.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
First of all, every citizen gets one vote, so nobody has more clout than anyone else.

And I know your pathological envy of homeowners makes you believe that they enjoy huge riches brought about the mortgage interest deduction, but that's simply not the case. Only about half of all homeowners even take the deduction, and those that do usually get a few hundred dollars off of their taxes. And unlike food stamp recipients, they actually contribute to the tax pool through property taxes.

Let me know when the food stamp recipient gets cut to a few hundred dollars.

Do you really believe that?

The mortgage interest deduction is merely a small component of a massive redistribution to homeowners in this country. Don't forget property tax deductions for homeowners, 'circuit breaker' tax rebates for homeowners, property tax caps for homeowners, homestead exemptions for homeowners, two-tiered or 'split roll' property tax systems, and oh, HARP.

Most food stamp recipients contribute to property taxes through paying inflated rents on their overtaxed rental homes; high rents are a major driver of food stamp expenditures.

Even going to a consumption tax won't eliminate this redistribution to homeowners; purchase of an existing home would be exempt from tax while renting the same existing home would be taxed up the wazoo.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Define consumption. Shouldn't homeowners pay tax on their housing consumptpn?
They do. What do you think happens when an HVAC unit or appliance has to be replaced. Consumption tax.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
HowTF do you expect someone with $8300 to live within their means?
Make do with less. It's not that hard. It's a very simple matter of living within your means and not pretending you can afford things you cannot.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:20 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
HowTF do you expect someone with $8300 to live within their means? I'm the only one here who has offered solutions to this issue which you and your protectionist friends reject.
I expect a person who cannot live on $8300 to either figure out a way or get another job and earn more than $8300. Pretty simple really. 168 hours in the week, maybe 70 are needed for sleep-shave-shower. That leaves 98 hours that can be used for earning money. Ask me how I know such things? Could be because I went 5 of 7 years with a full time job, full time school and at least 10 part time hours per week at a second job. You'd be amazed how much time there is in a week. Start putting more of that time to use instead of spending it on a message board griping about how poor you are.
Quote:
I live with seven roommates and spend $6000 per year to rent a freaking room.
Which is stupid, imho. Talk to 2 or 3 of those roommates and go get a cheaper, better living setup.
Quote:
Add n my student loan and I cannot afford to eat on $8300 per year. I have no iPhone nor a landline, I have a prepaid phone that lapses from time to time because I can't always afford it. On $8300 per year I wouldn't even have any inventory to sell.
You clearly need to do something other than what you are doing, because your e-bay business sucks for revenue generation. You need to find other sources of income, improve your current business model, be proactive in lowering your expenses, and spend less time on this forum and more time getting ahead.

Taxation, government policy, blah blah...none of these things are holding you back. YOU are holding you back.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They do. What do you think happens when an HVAC unit or appliance has to be replaced. Consumption tax.

I'm referring to a consumption tax of the type you prefer. Existing proposals for a national consumption tax (e.g. FairTax, NRST) exempt purchase of an existing home while taxing steeply home rental.

I like to think of it as an individual mandate to own a home or else pay a steep tax penalty.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I'm referring to a consumption tax of the type you prefer. Existing proposals for a national consumption tax (e.g. FairTax, NRST) exempt purchase of an existing home while taxing steeply home rental.
Own, don't rent. Plenty of inexpensive to own homes exist, nationwide.

How Much House Can You Get for $50,000? | Zillow Blog

Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
wanted to ask this earlier...

A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck; their money moves vert fast. (Last month I spent all but $4 of my first paycheck within 24 hours of getting paid.)

Instead of rewarding them the system soaks them with taxes. what's that about?
Stop paying the tax.

You have a business.

Wake up.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I expect a person who cannot live on $8300 to either figure out a way or get another job and earn more than $8300. Pretty simple really. 168 hours in the week, maybe 70 are needed for sleep-shave-shower. That leaves 98 hours that can be used for earning money. Ask me how I know such things? Could be because I went 5 of 7 years with a full time job, full time school and at least 10 part time hours per week at a second job. You'd be amazed how much time there is in a week. Start putting more of that time to use instead of spending it on a message board griping about how poor you are.

Which is stupid, imho. Talk to 2 or 3 of those roommates and go get a cheaper, better living setup.

You clearly need to do something other than what you are doing, because your e-bay business sucks for revenue generation. You need to find other sources of income, improve your current business model, be proactive in lowering your expenses, and spend less time on this forum and more time getting ahead.

Taxation, government policy, blah blah...none of these things are holding you back. YOU are holding you back.

All of us in this house are financially distressed and unable to move into any cheaper place; think of the required up-front costs of moving in. Especially when your credit is bad and you can't fix it.

All I need to generate income is 400 square feet of live/work space and a sane living environment. I made money when I had those things. Am I really asking too much in life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies