Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 12:04 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
No, many people do not need to know anything about guns. Not EVER!
That is, until their kid finds one under a bush and brings it home, and they have no idea how to make sure it is unloaded and safe. They also didn't know enough to teach their kid to NEVER touch a gun, leave it alone and find an adult. They also didn't know that they should treat EVERY gun as loaded and ready to fire until YOU have verified that it isn't.
Yes, that scenario HAS happened!
But, no, they really do NOT need to know anything, nor do they need to teach their kids anything.
Ignorance IS bliss!
"Hey, daddy, look what I fou..BANG!"
Yes, it HAS happened, and it will happen again.
There have been 9 year olds that have stolen cars but I don't feel any need to teach my 9 year old how to drive in case they came across a car with keys in it.

9-year-old stole car for trip to grandma's, authorities say | WISN Home - WISN Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 02:21 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Then someone in your house is pretty irresponsible if they are not teaching any kids in the house about them.
There are no children in our home.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There have been 9 year olds that have stolen cars but I don't feel any need to teach my 9 year old how to drive in case they came across a car with keys in it.

9-year-old stole car for trip to grandma's, authorities say | WISN Home - WISN Home
At the age of 9 the lesson would be NOT to drive........one that 9 year old should have been taught.

At 12 children can hunt in our state.

I think they can hunt small game younger.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:30 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The 911 caller stated it had one in the chamber and three in the magazine.

My guess the caller was trying to get the dude with the bb gun shot.
I also found this to be odd. Who's to say what happened or what the caller was thinking? This is the nature of anonymous 911 calls.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
The article (OP's link) does not actually explain why the caller believed that there were 3 rounds in the mag, and one in the chamber. It could have just been that's what the kid with the gun told him, and that he didn't actually see the rounds. If so the entire thread is moot.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycat25912 View Post
Guns aren't going to go away, education is a must in my opinion....
very true, and not just for guns, but in all aspects of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Gun safety should be taught at every grade level........with the higher grades at a gun range.
again very true.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:00 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
I'm a firearms instructor, but it don't believe it should be mandated.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:28 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Should? Yes and then again, most certainly.

Will? Probably not and then again, most certainly not!

Why?

Because, basically, it seems that TPTB want people quite ignorant about guns and ammo. Hence why, IMHO, an AR-15 is forever called an assault rifle........even though one would be at a vast disadvantage taking that model on the battle field.

Long story short, is to the advantage of such for them to tell the public which is which and what is what...................no matter how misinformed that is, such as hollow points being "armor piercing".

Old 12-25-2014, 07:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Should? Yes and then again, most certainly.

Will? Probably not and then again, most certainly not!

Why?

Because, basically, it seems that TPTB want people quite ignorant about guns and ammo. Hence why, IMHO, an AR-15 is forever called an assault rifle........even though one would be at a vast disadvantage taking that model on the battle field.

Long story short, is to the advantage of such for them to tell the public which is which and what is what...................no matter how misinformed that is, such as hollow points being "armor piercing".
Yes there is a long history of misrepresentation by gun control advocates. From hysterical discussions of "cop killer bullets" to counting 19 year old gang members as "children" killed by guns. The original idea of the "assault weapons" came from a guy named Josh Sugarmann, who penned an infamous memo where he admitted that his strategy was to exploit public ignorance. The memo somehow got out.
Shooting Blind - Reason.com

Old 12-25-2014, 07:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
It's called personal responsibility. It's your responsibility to teach yourself about the world around you. School is for academics, not to fill in the gaps of your parents' incompetence or your lack of gumption to learn about the world around you.

Even more egregious in the time of instant google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies