Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 07:47 AM

825 posts, read 1,033,905 times

Advertisements

Religion is harmful garbage. As it was designed to control others, religion often promises rewards in the afterlife if you simply believe. This removes the motivation to make the world a better place for us now, and for future generations. Why bother, if you'll spend eons in paradise?

Second, religion is imposed upon innocent children before they have the ability to develop skepticism. Telling children they are born sinners and that they will burn unless they (insert nonsensical dogma here) is child abuse.

See, we could care less about what you believe, but we sure do care about the IMPACT of those beliefs. The more humans start ditch the mythology, the more we will learn about the world and the less humanity will be able to seperate themselves based upon nonsense ( my god is better than your god).

We are all in this together. There's no heaven, no hell. We have this life only, and all we have is each other. Let's make it count.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,350,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Religion is harmful garbage. As it was designed to control others, religion often promises rewards in the afterlife if you simply believe. This removes the motivation to make the world a better place for us now, and for future generations. Why bother, if you'll spend eons in paradise?

Second, religion is imposed upon innocent children before they have the ability to develop skepticism. Telling children they are born sinners and that they will burn unless they (insert nonsensical dogma here) is child abuse.

See, we could care less about what you believe, but we sure do care about the IMPACT of those beliefs. The more humans start ditch the mythology, the more we will learn about the world and the less humanity will be able to seperate themselves based upon nonsense ( my god is better than your god).

We are all in this together. There's no heaven, no hell. We have this life only, and all we have is each other. Let's make it count.
Many denominations teach that followers are responsible in temporal life for the care of creation. My personal beliefs in a higher power may tend toward Agnosticism (aka, I really do not know either way), but I cannot allow this assertion to stand.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-27-2014 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 07:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,453,487 times
Quote:

What's "harmful garbage" is your obvious need to insult others who believe differently. I believe that's a sure sign of weakness and disregard. Oh yeah. And nonsense too.

Nice two-way street, isn't it?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:20 AM

33,518 posts, read 37,111,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You are talking about "religiosity," not religion. Christianity is having a relationship with Christ. It is not about "attendance pins (???)," and adherence to traditions. Those are what Christ lambasted the Pharisees for.

Believing in "nothing" is to allow evil to reign. Life itself becomes valueless. You become a person without a conscience. All things are acceptable. Nothing matters.

You have sold your soul to Satan. He owns you.
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
Albert Einstein

Old 12-27-2014, 08:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,453,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
Albert Einstein
Agreed! Being kind and considerate reap their own rewards. That was a lesson I learned from my parents. It's coincidental that my faith agrees.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:44 AM

7,319 posts, read 6,915,601 times
Faith in God does not have any bearing on control of others except that one will realize their "accountability to God" for their actions in this life. I expect the atheist is most resentful of.
Believing in God has great advantage due to His response when I pray ,things happen the would not have happened other wise.
Such as,
Healing, and alterations in weather, and sorting out problems, and direction even before the event has become apparent, amongst many other things God provides those that love Him.

Being resentful for the consequences of rebellion does not negate the inevitable examination. and as a matter of fact it is the realization of consequences that have governed good men in building a better society.
Had the ungodly religious folk had their way in the dark ages, we would still be as ignorant and backward .

And yes I said ungodly religious. people that claim to be of faith and are wolves using religion for their own means.
These had no faith in God , but simply using the cloak of religion for money.
God is real , people using religion for money are fake.
Making excuses for unbelief will not wash ,come judgment day.
Casting blame on some one else, won't work .
God is Spirit, and can look into your life and see things even you ignore. but God still loves man and cares about him but will only do as much as we allow Him.
He wil not compromise himself, nor should He .
If you can't respect that,
you are judging your self .
They whom disallow God's influence bear their own judgment, their own tragedy, the consequences of their own making.
As for the innocents, according to Jesus, heaven is filled with them.
God bears no judgment on them.
As for Christianity in the modern world ,it has been freely at the fore front of education and medicine and hope around the world , atheists would not have even offered a cup of water with out a bill.
What positive thing does atheism have to offer the world? not truth , because scientists have been disproving evolution as well. Choose your scientist , wisely they have an agenda by which they make deductions.
I had problems with archeologists due to the fact that they typically make a full size animal from a fragment of bone.
much like making a city out of a fragment of raw iron. I don't buy it.
You want physical proof of God, whom is Spirit and speaks to the inner man that has been quickened by His power.
You want your can and string to work as a radio .
With out conversion it isn't going to happen.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:44 AM

18,779 posts, read 18,112,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As much as atheists say they don't care what others think about their lack of faith they just can't help attempting to turn people of faith away from theirs, belittling their beliefs and constantly trying to prove the improvable; precisely what they accuse Christians of. Rather pitiful I think! It always makes me wonder what they're afraid of. Could it be they fear ultimately being proven wrong? If so, then what? No one knows.
You are right in a way. We do not want to go back to the Spanish Inquisition or the Salem witch hunts. Time after time religion has performed atrocities on those that they felt did not fit into the mold. So, yes, we do want to keep a close eye on the direction that we are headed.

As far as being proven wrong; so what. It isn't that other humans have not made mistakes - it's human.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,472,140 times
Quote:

Well said indeed!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:48 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,350,417 times
So much projection in this thread. How can any of us be confident we know what is in the heart and mind when it comes to what other believe or do not believe?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,865,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Faith in God does not have any bearing on control of others except that one will realize their "accountability to God" for their actions in this life. I expect the atheist is most resentful of.
Believing in God has great advantage due to His response when I pray ,things happen the would not have happened other wise.
Such as,
Healing, and alterations in weather, and sorting out problems, and direction even before the event has become apparent, amongst many other things God provides those that love Him.
People who follow the New Age philosophy espoused in the movie The Secret and of channels such as Abraham (Esther Hicks) and Kryon believe that because we are all pieces of God manifested in physical form (what you call God they call Source energy), we have the ability to manifest anything we want provided we learn how to channel our thoughts in productive directions. What's to say that's not what's happening when you "pray to God"? Maybe you are manifesting those things yourself because you, in a sense, ARE God. God is not some separate entity that you need to worship in order to get favors from, it is the very Source energy that powers your physical existence and is therefore within your ability to control if you learn how.

It makes as much sense (or nonsense) as your version of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.