Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2014, 08:02 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You two can`t choose convenient parts of creationism to believe the way you have here and then claim to not be creationists.

Either you believe something came from nothing or you believe what exists was created.

Likewise, you either believe order spontaneously emerges from disorder or you believe order was built into what was created.

Taking the position that time, space and matter have come to exist while still claiming no creator exists requires one to believe in spontaneous self-creation, and that is simply creationism without the creator.

What on earth are you talking about?

I know of no law that requires me to "Either you believe something came from nothing or you believe what exists was created."

I say, I don't know, and that the science on these questions is in a state of flux.

So call the cops on me. You are making yourself look silly by insisting that your "either - or" is real. It's just a choice you have imposed on yourself. Fine, but don't expect me to be motivated by *your* need for binary existential choices.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:06 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't believe in god because the idea is absurd & without logic. It really is that simple.
You have a misunderstanding of logic then. If you start with the belief that all things are created, which momonkey seems to believe, then it is completely logical to believe that a being created the universe. If instead, you understand that not everything is a creation and not everything has purpose, then that type of belief becomes illogical.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:14 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times
It is a little concerning that a good portion of the US population still believes in magic.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:17 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You have a misunderstanding of logic then. If you start with the belief that all things are created, which momonkey seems to believe, then it is completely logical to believe that a being created the universe. If instead, you understand that not everything is a creation and not everything has purpose, then that type of belief becomes illogical.
Actually no, it's not logical to believe some creature in the sky created earth. In fact, it's a great example of mental disorder.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
It is a little concerning that a good portion of the US population still believes in magic.
And yet these same people will claim Santa doesn't exist. Why not, exactly?

Old 12-25-2014, 08:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
It is quite disconcerting that a good portion of the US population thinks that immunizations are unsafe, that GMOs are dangerous, and that Global Warming is a settled issue. Many of the above are atheists.

Quote:
Actually no, it's not logical to believe some creature in the sky created earth. In fact, it's a great example of mental disorder.
Why how "tolerant" you are.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Why how "tolerant" you are.
Mmm, yes, as opposed to all those pleasant god fearing tolerant religious folks.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:34 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You two can`t choose convenient parts of creationism to believe the way you have here and then claim to not be creationists.

Either you believe something came from nothing or you believe what exists was created.

Likewise, you either believe order spontaneously emerges from disorder or you believe order was built into what was created.

Taking the position that time, space and matter have come to exist while still claiming no creator exists requires one to believe in spontaneous self-creation, and that is simply creationism without the creator.
"I don't know" is perfectly legitimate, and that's what jacqueg wrote.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:34 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I suggest then, that when you are participating in a discussion, you should advance arguments that you do understand.
As if any of us have the answer. You don't have the answer, no one here does. So don't tell me what to participate in.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Mmm, yes, as opposed to all those pleasant god fearing tolerant religious folks.
Calling someone "mentally ill" is tolerant? Do two wrongs make a right? back atcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies