Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 02:06 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The answer I was given is that we don't understand the concept of "no time". We don't understand the concept of "no beginning, no end". Time is man made, after all.
In what sense?

Unidirectional time is very much a characteristic of the known universe.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:10 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Bashing someone for not believing in your fairy tales about Jesus and The Bible? Why? If I don't believe in it, I just don't. Why would you want to force someone to believe in something?

Fascist tendencies, for sure.
It's obvious you didn't bother to read the article. You actually confirmed the authors main point about atheists. So, it appears that the writer was spot on.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:12 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There may be some of this among the busybody atheists--you know, the ones who file lawsuits, hold press conferences, etc. But in my experience, concerns about having religious beliefs or values 'imposed' invariably comes from Democrats with a partisan axe to grind.

I think the average everyday US atheist is not worried about having religious beliefs or values 'imposed' on him/her. I know I am not. If anything, the imposition is more likely to go in the other direction, for example a religious bakery shop owner being forced to offer wedding cakes for gay weddings.
Excellent point.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:15 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
At least no atheist has ever asked me, "Have you been born again?"

That is soooooooo stupid.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:21 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
You and the article set up a straw man:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Believing that something came from nothing, takes a lot of faith.
The Big Bang Theory does not say that something came from nothing.

Quote:
"[W]hile you know no Christians saying that everyone passing by must bow and pay reverence to the nativity scene in your front yard, you likely know at least one or two atheists who claim that such displays should be taken down in respect to any who may not think like you."
Nobody gives flying faith what you put in your own front yard. The issue is government endorsement of a religion.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:23 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
The premise of this thread is based on nothing, but there is no such thing as nothing.

New Scientist TV: Why there is no such thing as empty space

Happy Holidays everyone.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:40 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Atheists don't give two hoots what is in your front yard. Public property is another thing entirely.

Atheists do not have "faith" that "something came from nothing." We will abandon the currently held scientific view as soon as there is more persuasive evidence for a contrary view. Science corrects and updates itself, which is exactly what distinguishes it from the tomfoolery of religion.

Except for AGW - then the science is settled. Merry Christmas, by the way!

Old 12-25-2014, 03:12 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so on xmas the op needs demean people for what they believe. all because they do not believe like the op.

so compassionate towards my fellow man on this fine day. gee WWJD?

BTW this should be in the religion folder.
Definitely.

It should be moved or just ignored.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Definitely.

It should be moved or just ignored.
The "Christian" OP is all worked up on Christmas Day and wants an un Christian flame war on this special day.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:53 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
The problem with your argument is the problem with religion which is "if I can't explain how X happened, then it was God." Of course science eventually explains everything and then religion has to move on to other things to plug with the "must be god" argument. Plus then you have to explain where God came from. Just because something can't be explained yet doesn't mean it was a god behind it.

Plus, you are not aware of all the possibilities of where the universe came from because you are not educated enough on the subject. There are already theories out there to explain it.n for example, there is a theory that there are trillions of other universes out there floating in another dimension like a bubble. When two collide it creates a Big Bang and another universe. The total energy of the universe is also exactly zero because gravity acts as a negative energy, which means that when totaled together the universe really equals 0 and doesn't exist.
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe[/url]

Of course these are things you aren't aware of so you attribute it to god because you aren't capable or willing to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies