Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 02:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

This is something we were talking about at my husband's family party last night.

We are a family of mostly hunters.......and the guys were talking about them not being able to hunt in Canada now.

They all have DUI's.....from the 1980's and one 1993.....they can not cross into Canada with a gun.

And yes,.....they all did time in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 03:17 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
If they cannot afford the fine, they should not speed but they are not going to jail for speeding. Claiming otherwise is dishonest.

Some years ago I abruptly landed in hospital for an extended stay of several months. My car was parked in my driveway, wth another car right behinnd mine and closer t the street.

When I got out I found a bunch of tickets on my car for 'abandoned vehicle' because my tags were expired. Because I neither paid nor contested the tickets in a timely manner (duh), they all defaulted with the addition of hundreds of dollars in fines.

Are you saying that if I cannot afford the fines, I shouldn't own a car if I cannot be sure I can renew the tags at the appropriate time?

And after the fines maxed out, those tickets did cause my driver license to be suspended and an arrest warrant issued. Nobody would have come looking to arrest me, but I would have been arrested if I had been stopped by police within the state for any reason.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Increased supply==>decreased price. In this case the price would be the price of labor, i.e. wage rates. Pres. Obama's executive action on deportation amounted to a nice Christmas gift to corporate America. They only question is how many illegal immigrants will opt to 'come out of the shadows.' They will have to enter their names and other info into a gov't database in return for an advantage that could be erased in little over 2 years from now.

Increased supply = increased price (of rent).

Old 12-25-2014, 03:28 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Some years ago I abruptly landed in hospital for an extended stay of several months. My car was parked in my driveway, wth another car right behinnd mine and closer t the street.

When I got out I found a bunch of tickets on my car for 'abandoned vehicle' because my tags were expired. Because I neither paid nor contested the tickets in a timely manner (duh), they all defaulted with the addition of hundreds of dollars in fines.

Are you saying that if I cannot afford the fines, I shouldn't own a car if I cannot be sure I can renew the tags at the appropriate time?

And after the fines maxed out, those tickets did cause my driver license to be suspended and an arrest warrant issued. Nobody would have come looking to arrest me, but I would have been arrested if I had been stopped by police within the state for any reason.
Pretty extreme example, but again, no one is going to jail for speeding. Miss court dates, don't pay fines, warrants get issued - but it's not for speeding.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

I had a very similar occurrence. I was being taken to the hospital by ambulance and had my car parked in an alley behind my apartment building. I wanted to move it to the street so that it wouldn't be towed, but a cop there thought that it was not a good idea, so he offered to move it for me. I gave him my keys, and he moved it. I was in the hospital several weeks, and when I got back my car was plastered with tickets. The cop had parked it in an illegal spot. I called the local PD and they said there was nothing that could be done, that I would have to show up in court 20 or 30 times to contest each ticket.

I just ignored them, and not much later moved out of state. It was a long time ago, pretty much pre-computer era. I imagine that if the same thing happened today it could follow you around the country a long time.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Pretty extreme example, but again, no one is going to jail for speeding. Miss court dates, don't pay fines, warrants get issued - but it's not for speeding.

It takes individual positive action to speed and not go to jail. It takes no individual action to go to jail for unpaid tickets on a car in your driveway on private property was not operated by anyone.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I had a very similar occurrence. I was being taken to the hospital by ambulance and had my car parked in an alley behind my apartment building. I wanted to move it to the street so that it wouldn't be towed, but a cop there thought that it was not a good idea, so he offered to move it for me. I gave him my keys, and he moved it. I was in the hospital several weeks, and when I got back my car was plastered with tickets. The cop had parked it in an illegal spot. I called the local PD and they said there was nothing that could be done, that I would have to show up in court 20 or 30 times to contest each ticket.

I just ignored them, and not much later moved out of state. It was a long time ago, pretty much pre-computer era. I imagine that if the same thing happened today it could follow you around the country a long time.

Professional (truck) drivers had a scam going for years; if they piled u moving violations they would move to a different state and reset their violation poiints to zero by getting a license in the new state.

About 20 years ago Congress addressed this issue by restrictiing the ability of drivers to do this; one of the provisions prohibits states from issuing a DL to anyone with an active suspension elsewhere.

Many states suspend a license if the driver has a certain number of unpaid tickets so if that happened to you today you'd probably get quite a surprise at renewal time.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:23 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times
From the same reference in OP, "It is estimated that about one in three adults now has a criminal history record - which often consists of an arrest that did not lead to conviction, a conviction for which the person was not sentenced to a term of incarceration, or a conviction for a non-violent crime."

I must say I am shocked. 1/3 of adults, including both men and women, have been arrested though not necessarily convicted of a crime. Just......wow.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:33 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
If they cannot afford the fine, they should not speed but they are not going to jail for speeding. Claiming otherwise is dishonest.
Guy gets shot, dies from loss of blood. He wasnt killed by being shot, he died from blood loss, claiming otherwise is dishonest

Look this is reality here. If you are poor you can get a ticket that completely messes with you because you are poor. Lets take an example. Joe is going 35 in a 25 bcause he just came off of a highway, but the town he is in has marked down whats normally a 35 to a 25 because they want to enhance their revenue or some such nonsense. Turns out its actually illegal to do so, and 5 years later some lawyer points this out and gets his ticket thrown out...but Joe isnt a lawyer, he works hard at the local chicken processing plant. He gets a ticket. Basically his entire weeks paycheck....if he can pay it right away.

He can't. he is found guilty, and has additional fees tacked on. A fee for taking payments, etc. but again...he misses a payment when he gets sick and misses work. The city turns it over to a collection agency. Both the city and the collection agency add in fines and fees, AND put a massive interest rate on it. All told his $200 dollar ticket turns into $800 by the time he manages to pay it off.

I get the same ticket the same way. I pay $200 and laugh off that I blew half a days pay. I put off buying a new quadcopter drone for a week.

Our law enforcement has turned into a money making scheme. Prisons and jails being made into profit centers. We watch them do things like charge $1/minute rates to family members if they want to talk to imprisoned loved ones, DESPITE the fact that we know that higher contact with family results in lower recidivism rates. Making it not about safer communities, and more about money.

Old 12-25-2014, 04:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewww View Post
Prison industrial complex is big business.

But that aspect is sometimes overdone.

The truth is, the root is something else: the average citizen hates their life. This trickles down to a need to see others have it even worse; like prison.

Unlike our grandparents generation, we are now hip to how the world works via free information. As a result, very few people believe in the virtue of the work they get up every day and struggle for.

Most people hate their company, and their company couldn't care less about them.

Most people are aware of the fact that their employer likely does more harm than good globally and nationally; tax cheats, GE siding with Iran, et al.

This crushing blow to the moral of the average American worker coupled with the rise in consumerism as a moral philosophy, has created a deep sadness in the soul of the Average American. They want to see other people suffer worse than their 9-5 fate. In some ways this is a natural human instinct.

In upper class cirlces, in lower class circles, in middle class circles, it's very common to hear some variant of "I bet bubba is having a good time with (so and so) right now in his cell. ha!" Americans enjoy the fact that their neighbor might be getting raped in a cell for using drugs, or some other trivial offense. They need that type of "at least my day is better than (so and so's) day" to get through life.

This fact is why most serious people laugh at those who are aghast at Americans' collective apathy towards torturing detainees in Gitmo. Americans are in favor of their own brothers and citizens getting tortured in American prisoners over petty crime. Of course they don't care about some foreign Muslim getting waterboarded.
The average person hates their life?

Deep sadness in the soul of the average American?

Most people hate their employer?

Is someone having a bad day and projecting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies