Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I'm having a hard time believing one in three adults has a criminal record. Not buying it. 98% of the people I know do not have a criminal record.
I am another who finds it hard to believe that 1/3 people have a criminal record unless it includes moving violations and/or parking tickets.

I DK the criminal record of everyone I know because the topic never comes up.
But come on now, 1/3?

Looking at the footnotes in the OP's link, it appears it did not account for repeat offenders and multiple offences per arrest.

I know a woman who claims her ex husband had more than 100 DUI arrests and multiple convictions, going back to the early 70's.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-23-2015 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:16 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am another who finds it hard to believe that 1/3 people have a criminal record unless it includes moving violations and/or parking tickets.

I DK the criminal record of everyone I know because the topic never comes up.
But come on now, 1/3?

Looking at the footnotes in the OP's link, it appears it did not account repeat offenders.
I believe it. Plenty of people become drug or sex offenders by doing something relatively harmless. 19 year old and a 17 year old get too intimate, parents find out, BOOM! A sex offender. Get caught with a joint; Boom! Drug charges.

A criminal doesn't have to go to jail either. People often get off on probation or house arrest. I know someone who got caught with weed and was on parole. But if he were to fill out the application in the OP, he'd have to say yes to that absurd question.

As a rule, unless you committed a seriously violent crime, I'm not sure how it's relevant to most jobs. I can understand not wanting to hire a convicted rapist or murder (but at the same time, if they aren't in jail, it probably means they aren't still a threat and may as well be allowed to fry chicken for a living), but plenty of crimes are hardly good character judgments. And even if some are, people make mistakes. If someone committed a crime 10 years ago, served their time (if they had any), and is an upstanding citizen now, there isn't a single justifiable reason for them to continue to pay for that crime.

If you ask me, the question shouldn't be if you've ever been convicted of a crime, but if you've been convicted in X amount of years. Like, if you have a gram of cocaine 7 years ago, that shouldn't be relevant to your employer since it hasn't happened in the last 3-5 years. More extreme crimes could be the exception. If you murdered or raped someone, or whatever else could be considered seriously wrong, I can understand an employer asking. But still, if you killed a guy because you were in with the wrong crowd 30 years ago and have since got your life together, I say give them a chance.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:37 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Good. Because I didn't say that.

I don't know if anyone can prove your new, different statement. I put the link up for what I posted, though.

In recent decades, the number of Americans who have had contact with the criminal justice system has increased exponentially. It is estimated that about one in three adults now has a criminal history record - which often consists of an arrest that did not lead to conviction, a conviction for which the person was not sentenced to a term of incarceration, or a conviction for a non-violent crime.1
Thanks for being patient with me and I truly mean that. Today is a migraine day and did read the part that has been quoted a couple of times now, I just missed the "estimated one in three adults" in your source. Please accept my apologies. That being said...I must lead a very sheltered life because I truly do not know but a handful of people who have any criminal record, even for a non-violent crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies