Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 07:02 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times

Advertisements

Before you laugh, remember they vote; often multiple times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:14 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Speaking for myself, I truly believe that Libertarians are the true moderates. Socially liberal fiscal conservatives who believe that we:

- should protect and restore states rights -don't we already?
- should not be the police of the world, while still protecting our interests. I agree
- should be securing our borders and enforcing the federal immigration laws I agree
- should not allow corporations and their lobbyists to dictate law based on greasing the aspirations of political cronies I agree
- should have a logical welfare system based on need and ability, not how many babies an unwed mother can bare I definitely agree
- should end this ridiculous drug war; making all vices legal, and taxable, just like alcohol and tobacco I agree
- should abolish the 17th amendment which would bring back appointed state senators rather than elected cronies Not sure I agree
- should bring the presidential powers back in line with the Constitution -
Presidential Powers Act - A Proposed Amendment to the U.S. Constitution | Petition2Congress -What uncsonstitutional poers does the president have?
- should not use the color of skin, religious beliefs, gender, sexual beliefs, or ethnicity as a tool for ideological advancement. That's more of a 1st Amendment issue
- must get spending under control I sort of agree
- must make politicians legally accountable Hard to do that when we have to rely on the politicians to police themselves
- must maintain free markets We already do
- should require all future SCOTUS judges MUST be apolitical. The only way to have a pure justice system is for that system to be free from politics. How are you going to do that?
- (and finally) MUST have term limits for Senators and Representatives! Politics are supposed to be job of service, not a career! I agree, but never going to happen. 99% of Congress are not going to vote themselves out of a job

This is just a short list off the top of my head.
Considering that I agree with 3/4 of your list, somehow that still makes me a moronic, lobotomized ******* in pmwmdk's eyes :smack :. But, hey, if I am one, you are too . At least you and I have the intellectual capacity to think and cross over ideological lines, I think that makes us true moderates; you just happen to be more to the right, and me more to the left. But, that's no reason why we can't come and meet in the middle on several issues

Old 12-27-2014, 08:19 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Considering that I agree with 3/4 of your list, somehow that still makes me a moronic, lobotomized ******* in pmwmdk's eyes :smack :. But, hey, if I am one, you are too . At least you and I have the intellectual capacity to think and cross over ideological lines, I think that makes us true moderates; you just happen to be more to the right, and me more to the left. But, that's no reason why we can't come and meet in the middle on several issues
I'm curious as to why you think "crossing ideological lines" is some kind of virtue.

After all, if you believe in something, but betray it for expedient reasons, you didn't believe it in the first place. Thus, "crossing ideological lines" isn't an indicator of character or wisdom, it is a demonstration of a lack of principle or belief.

Hardly a virtue.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:32 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I certainly hope you are wrong about this. If the majority are extreme, on either side, then they have abandoned sanity. Between the right and their authoritarian big government (under the guise (lie) of being pro smaller government) and the left with their progressive totalitarian big government (nanny state) the country is being hijacked into some alternate reality of ignorance.

If the moderates become the minority, we are doomed. The country will be extreme, and the people always suffer under extremists rule.

Speaking for myself, I truly believe that Libertarians are the true moderates. Socially liberal fiscal conservatives who believe that we:

- should protect and restore states rights
- should not be the police of the world, while still protecting our interests.
- should be securing our borders and enforcing the federal immigration laws
- should not allow corporations and their lobbyists to dictate law based on greasing the aspirations of political cronies
- should have a logical welfare system based on need and ability, not how many babies an unwed mother can bare
- should end this ridiculous drug war; making all vices legal, and taxable, just like alcohol and tobacco
- should abolish the 17th amendment which would bring back appointed state senators rather than elected cronies
- should bring the presidential powers back in line with the Constitution -
Presidential Powers Act - A Proposed Amendment to the U.S. Constitution | Petition2Congress
- should not use the color of skin, religious beliefs, gender, sexual beliefs, or ethnicity as a tool for ideological advancement.
- must get spending under control
- must make politicians legally accountable
- must maintain free markets
- should require all future SCOTUS judges MUST be apolitical. The only way to have a pure justice system is for that system to be free from politics.
- (and finally) MUST have term limits for Senators and Representatives! Politics are supposed to be job of service, not a career!

This is just a short list off the top of my head.
That list sounds more like a Conservative...before the lying RINOs took over the party.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:46 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Dumbest Tweets. Ever.

Scary.

Is that the liberal constituency? Are they the kind that would believe "The government can and will take care of you if you vote for me"?

While I admit that I grew up in small town America, among the "lower class", the ignorance of these people is frightening. What possible productive future can they have?
All I see is that your linked website has a list of supposed tweets, all from black people. So, it is simply a website that purports to show how black people are 'dumb', and you gleefully link to the website.

I will note that it is rather easy to fake tweets and on website, and to steal photographs of people.

Yes, it is scary.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I'm curious as to why you think "crossing ideological lines" is some kind of virtue.

After all, if you believe in something, but betray it for expedient reasons, you didn't believe it in the first place. Thus, "crossing ideological lines" isn't an indicator of character or wisdom, it is a demonstration of a lack of principle or belief.

Hardly a virtue.
And that is why debating you is useless. You have no room for compromise, my way or the highway. Guess what? You don't always get what you want in real life. Time to grow up and leave your teenage years behind you. In the adult world, you want something, you have to be ready to let go of something

Old 12-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
All I see is that your linked website has a list of supposed tweets, all from black people. So, it is simply a website that purports to show how black people are 'dumb', and you gleefully link to the website.

I will note that it is rather easy to fake tweets and on website, and to steal photographs of people.

Yes, it is scary.
Pnwmdk just wants to create another strawman to attack to validate his/her very shaky political beliefs. I put the OP in the same company as the Paulbots

Old 12-27-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

Yes, it is scary.
Oh, wow, you had to make up racist nonsense to attempt to change the subject.

Race has NOTHING to do with people being so ignorant they can't function in society. They don't know how to read, spell, they apply no thought, they learned nothing in school. They know nothing of what I learned before I got to 5th grade.

My point is, we have a political party that DEPENDS upon people like this for their future votes. And they promise to keep them from suffering the results of their ignorance, as if learning the value of an education is is irrelevant.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And that is why debating you is useless. You have no room for compromise, my way or the highway. Guess what? You don't always get what you want in real life. Time to grow up and leave your teenage years behind you. In the adult world, you want something, you have to be ready to let go of something
Didn't you just accuse me, a few posts back, of dealing in stereotypes and making things up?

And didn't I point out that your arguments applied even more accurately to yourself than almost anyone else in this thread?

You didn't learn from that, did you?

So, you're trying it again.

If you disagree with me, why not defend your argument? Instead, you've imagined a whole world of evil, created a lot of assumptions, and then accused me of them.

This would be a good start... Try to explain how contradicting your fundamental beliefs is good.

Or, at least try to identify the fundamental beliefs that you hold which would cause you to think that somehow you've "crossed ideological boundaries". After all, you DO have an ideology of some kind, exactly what principles brought you to it?

I know precisely why I am no longer a liberal. I know precisely what I believe in, what principles I hold that determine what I support or oppose as "policies".

I didn't choose policies and invent an ideology to go around them. I chose a moral foundation which was created by certain principles I have found to be worthy, and then let the chips fall where they may. In that process, I moved from being a liberal to what most would think might be a libertarian or conservative.

I've only asked you to define what your principles are. What's so hard about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies