Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:09 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

The Joneses keeping up with the joneses. Frivolous spending. Having the best name brands when they do not fit into your budget. Having a new car when your other was was good. Having a much bigger and more expensive house than you need.The tribal and herd mentality are hallmarks of liberal living. Complaining that the rich have more money enables them to justify their foolish spending habits? See, the consumerism that they relish enables the rich people to be rich. Then they complain for buying into it. I don't get it.

Any insight to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 11:23 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Ask them about economics, and they argue that consumption is the basis for a healthy economy.

You can't make this stuff up, fiction has to make sense.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:30 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Since when does the left claim not to embrace consumerism?

Yet another thread by some right winger which starts with a complete fabrication about something the left supposedly does or does not do or think, and then other clueless right wing nuts come in and join in the bashing.

It's pathetic.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
The Joneses keeping up with the joneses. Frivolous spending. Having the best name brands when they do not fit into your budget. Having a new car when your other was was good. Having a much bigger and more expensive house than you need.The tribal and herd mentality are hallmarks of liberal living. Complaining that the rich have more money enables them to justify their foolish spending habits? See, the consumerism that they relish enables the rich people to be rich. Then they complain for buying into it. I don't get it.

Any insight to this?
What? I'm sure this must have made sense in your head, but in print it could use some work. When I tutor with my children in writing, I often have to remind them that they must back up their assertions with evidence. You also need to do so.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:44 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post

Any insight to this?
Wow, so you're saying that only liberals attempt to "keep up with the Joneses?" Only liberals spend frivolously? Only liberals surpass their budgets? I assume you have some good, hard evidence to back these ridiculous statements up, right? Or are you just another right winger uselessly flapping your gums? (I vote for the second option.)

You certainly don't live up to your screen name. You just posted a bunch of nonsense and apparently don't know it.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:48 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Wow, so you're saying that only liberals attempt to "keep up with the Joneses?" Only liberals spend frivolously? Only liberals surpass their budgets? I assume you have some good, hard evidence to back these ridiculous statements up, right? Or are you just another right winger uselessly flapping your gums? (I vote for the second option.)

You certainly don't live up to your screen name. You just posted a bunch of nonsense and apparently don't know it.
Read the title of the thread very slowly. Then read it again.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:51 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Since when does the left claim not to embrace consumerism?

Yet another thread by some right winger which starts with a complete fabrication about something the left supposedly does or does not do or think, and then other clueless right wing nuts come in and join in the bashing.

It's pathetic.
Most strawmen topics on P&OC are made by right-wingers. Makes me question whether they actually now any liberals at all. Oh wait, most don't, but I bet you some will try to refute me and say something along the lines of, "My cousin/best friend/co-worker is a liberal I know", when we damn well know that's not the case

Old 12-27-2014, 11:55 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Read the title of the thread very slowly. Then read it again.
Right you are. Along with the ridiculous claims in the OP, the title of the thread is in itself also a ridiculous claim with nothing to back it up but that the full of nonsense OP says so. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:16 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Strawman
Misrepresenting someone's argument to make it easier to attack.

Please, continue....

Old 12-27-2014, 12:19 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Right you are. Along with the ridiculous claims in the OP, the title of the thread is in itself also a ridiculous claim with nothing to back it up but that the full of nonsense OP says so. Thanks for pointing that out.
Perhaps this will help straighten out your obviously-not-even-believed-by-yourself rhetoric.

Anti-consumerism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Community Reinvestment Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Federal Housing Administration/U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Democrats Push for Temporary Tax Cuts, Spending to Boost Economy - US News

Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Raising The Minimum Wage To $10.10 Would Boost Growth By $22 Billion | ThinkProgress

Is in, fact, a TENET OF THE LEFT'S RELIGION that consumer spending is the holy grail of economic achievements.

And yet, they rail against consumption...

The Valley of the Shadow |

The 1% are the very best destroyers of*wealth the world has ever seen | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

Conspicuous consumption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barack Obama slams Kim Kardashian for promoting materialistic lifestyles

Barack Obama on Materialism at the Selma Voting Rights March Commemoration

Is Affluenza Real? Ask Senator Elizabeth Warren And Other Experts - Forbes

While at the same time they decry materialism and being wealthy, they insist that spending money as consumers is absolutely vital.

Why the dichotomy? Well, in the case the poor, it's easy to sell them on spending money.

In the case of the not-so-poor, you have to appear to not be greedy.

Or, if the truth be told - just a lot of expedient rhetoric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies