Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 08:12 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Interesting how defensive & p*ssy people got at the OP. He's simply posting that he doesn't agree w/that organizations stance on gays. Get over it. I too do not give money to them.
It would seem you are the one getting all p*ssy. I merely pointed out that the Salvation Army returns 92% of the donations the collect directly back into the community. Their mandate is not to support special-interest political agendas, their mandate is to provide assistance to those members of society most in need, and it is something they do far more efficiently than anybody else. This is the primary reason they are my particular charity of choice. They have a direct impact on my community and you don't see high-profile politicians rising from their ranks after using charity money to further their own political careers (as Anne Golden did with Toronto's United Way).

On another note, I find it ironic that you actually think you are making the world a better place by anonymously demonizing a selfless charity that has a proven track record of providing support to those members of society most in need, simply because they don't support a special-interest group that never required their services in the first place.

Welcome to political activism in the digital age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 10:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Good.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
In this season of giving and seeing the bell ringers of the Salvation Army outside of stores, let us all remember that the Salvation Army at it's heart, is still anti-gay and still in it's approach, a Christian organization. For those of us who are secular and non religious, it's still disheartening to know that many don't know how just how this organization really thinks of those in the gay community. I for one will never donate to this organization.

Salvation Army Anti Gay
And that is why the bell ringers did not get my hard earned cash this year. They certainly are not the only worthy charity.

The beauty of it is that we get to choose where our donations go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They are a church.
So? Thousands of churches are not anti-gay.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
It would seem you are the one getting all p*ssy. I merely pointed out that the Salvation Army returns 92% of the donations the collect directly back into the community. Their mandate is not to support special-interest political agendas, their mandate is to provide assistance to those members of society most in need, and it is something they do far more efficiently than anybody else. This is the primary reason they are my particular charity of choice. They have a direct impact on my community and you don't see high-profile politicians rising from their ranks after using charity money to further their own political careers (as Anne Golden did with Toronto's United Way).

On another note, I find it ironic that you actually think you are making the world a better place by anonymously demonizing a selfless charity that has a proven track record of providing support to those members of society most in need, simply because they don't support a special-interest group that never required their services in the first place.

Welcome to political activism in the digital age.
How is stating an admitted fact considered 'demonizing'? The SA makes no pretense about their beliefs.

Why should the OP or anyone, for that matter, donate to charity that is adamantly opposed to what they believe in?

That just makes no sense whatever when there are SO many worthy organizations.

Certainly donating to an organization that espouses beliefs that are directly contradictory to my beliefs - is not being a good steward of my charitable contributions.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
How is stating an admitted fact considered 'demonizing'? The SA makes no pretense about their beliefs.

Why should the OP or anyone, for that matter, donate to charity that is adamantly opposed to what they believe in?

That just makes no sense whatever when there are SO many worthy organizations.

Certainly donating to an organization that espouses beliefs that are directly contradictory to my beliefs - is not being a good steward of my charitable contributions.
The Salvation Army's mandate is to assist those in your community that need it the most. The monies given to them are not used to support, nor to oppose, special interest politics.

It reminds me of all those people who got their panties in a knot because the Chik-Fil-A CEO stated he didn't believe in gay marriage. While he may not have believed in gay marriage, he still hired gay employees and did not tolerate the discrimination of homosexuals in any of his workplaces. Of course, this didn't stop a lot of militant activists from painting him the next Heinrich Himmler and making his Christian beliefs sound like some kind of pseudo-Nazi doctrine. They went as far as implying that by boycotting that particular brand of chicken sandwich the world is somehow going to be a better place. This is exactly the same kind of misguided activism except that you aren't talking about boycotting a chicken sandwich, you are talking about boycotting food banks, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, retraining programs and substance abuse counselling.

As long as you know what your priorities are, I suppose.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
The Salvation Army's mandate is to assist those in your community that need it the most. The monies given to them are not used to support, nor to oppose, special interest politics.

It reminds me of all those people who got their panties in a knot because the Chik-Fil-A CEO stated he didn't believe in gay marriage. While he may not have believed in gay marriage, he still hired gay employees and did not tolerate the discrimination of homosexuals in any of his workplaces. Of course, this didn't stop a lot of militant activists from painting him the next Heinrich Himmler and making his Christian beliefs sound like some kind of pseudo-Nazi doctrine. They went as far as implying that by boycotting that particular brand of chicken sandwich the world is somehow going to be a better place. This is exactly the same kind of misguided activism except that you aren't talking about boycotting a chicken sandwich, you are talking about boycotting food banks, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, retraining programs and substance abuse counselling.

Which shows it's not about discrimination at all it's about controlling thoughts and normalizing homosexuality. They don't even want you to think otherwise, forget about civil rights. This is the new liberal freedom; think like we think.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:

So let me understand - because I gave to charities other than the Salvation Amy - my priorities are in question.

Please.

Try again. And tell me why the Salvation is the ONLY charity worth giving to. Take the blinders off - there may be other worthy causes deserving of MY money.

Then tell me why I should spend my money eating a poorly made chicken sandwich from a bad fast-food restaurant. Politics aside.

Or should I just eat there because YOU like them? And give my money to a charity that YOU approve of?

Old 01-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
So let me understand - because I gave to charities other than the Salvation Amy - my priorities are in question.
No. I pointed out that boycotting an organization that does more to help those in need than any other charity in North America bar none simply because they don't agree with your stance on gay rights is counterproductive, hypocritical and ridiculous.

Quote:
Try again. And tell me why the Salvation is the ONLY charity worth giving to. Take the blinders off - there may be other worthy causes deserving of MY money.
I stated why several times already. The Salvation Army directs the highest percentage of all donations received directly to the programs they support. IIRC, the number is 92 cents out of every dollar. These programs help those most in need in YOUR community. This is the reason why most people give to charities in the first place.

Of course, if you wish to help out animal shelters, look for a cure for Huntington's Disease or fight world poverty, the Salvation Army would not be the right charity for you. However, if that were the case I question why you are participating in this thread in the first place as the Sally Ann would never have been on your charity radar to begin with.

Quote:
Then tell me why I should spend my money eating a poorly made chicken sandwich from a bad fast-food restaurant. Politics aside.

Or should I just eat there because YOU like them? And give my money to a charity that YOU approve of?
I don't live in America so I have never eaten at Chik-Fil-A. I was just pointing out how silly that boycott was. As Canada is inundated with American sensationalist "news", we heard all about it when it happened. The reality is that choosing one poorly made chicken sandwich over another isn't going to change the world any more than choosing a Ford over a Fiat will. Additionally, I was simply pointing out that boycotting all the good work the Salvation Army does simply because you disagree with them on what amounts to a minor political issue is counterproductive at best. I don't believe the many should suffer for the few under any circumstances, much less this one. YMMV.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
No. I pointed out that boycotting an organization that does more to help those in need than any other charity in North America bar none simply because they don't agree with your stance on gay rights is counterproductive, hypocritical and ridiculous.

I stated why several times already. The Salvation Army directs the highest percentage of all donations received directly to the programs they support. IIRC, the number is 92 cents out of every dollar. These programs help those most in need in YOUR community. This is the reason why most people give to charities in the first place.

Of course, if you wish to help out animal shelters, look for a cure for Huntington's Disease or fight world poverty, the Salvation Army would not be the right charity for you. However, if that were the case I question why you are participating in this thread in the first place as the Sally Ann would never have been on your charity radar to begin with.

I don't live in America so I have never eaten at Chik-Fil-A. I was just pointing out how silly that boycott was. As Canada is inundated with American sensationalist "news", we heard all about it when it happened. The reality is that choosing one poorly made chicken sandwich over another isn't going to change the world any more than choosing a Ford over a Fiat will. Additionally, I was simply pointing out that boycotting all the good work the Salvation Army does simply because you disagree with them on what amounts to a minor political issue is counterproductive at best. I don't believe the many should suffer for the few under any circumstances, much less this one. YMMV.
It's never misguided to donate your hard-earned dollars to the charities and organizations that you believe in and to withhold your dollars from those you don't.

In fact, that is the only smart thing to do with all charitable donations.

Not donating to a charity that one doesn't believe in is not 'boycotting' that charity; it is simply spending my money where I think it's best served. Period.

You do seem quite well versed on the salvation army; however; I trust they receive your fair share.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
You do seem quite well versed on the salvation army; however; I trust they receive your fair share.
I contribute every week to my local Salvation Army through my workplace's salary deduction program. As I stated before, I am not religious. I just like to see the maximum percentage of my donation go directly to where it is needed. I couldn't really care less about their opinion on gay marriage or anything else. That's not what my money is being directed towards, and the good they do for the people who desperately need it far outweighs any kind of accusation from militant special interest groups looking for reasons to get offended.

You can probably tell I am more than a little jaded from special interest groups painting everyone a closet hater every time they don't get their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies