Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have insurance, or will you pay the penalty?
I have health insurance from my employer 23 42.59%
I pay the full tab for my health insurance, no welfare 16 29.63%
I have Obamacare via welfare (subsidies paid by the taxpayers) 3 5.56%
I don't qualify for Obamacare welfare, have no insurance, but will pay the penalty 6 11.11%
I don't have health insurance and will refuse to pay the penalty 4 7.41%
Penalty? What Penalty? 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times

Advertisements

Now that the first year of the Obamacare mandate and associated fine (er, TAX, sorry), is coming to a close, I figured it was time for a poll among CD members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Forgot an option, those who dont have insurance but wont have to pay the penalty because they wont get a refund.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Forgot an option, those who dont have insurance but wont have to pay the penalty because they wont get a refund.
That's where we come in. Pretty easy to arrange your affairs to do that.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
How about those who are cursed with three (that's right, THREE) health insurance policies?
I'm retired, so I don't have an employer.
However...
I am retired military, so I have Tricare.
I am a senior citizen, so I have Medicare.
AND we have insurance through my wife's employer.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:00 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
That is the "don't have insurance, refuse to pay the penalty". Which is pretty much where we will be next year. I have HI through work, wife doesn't and doesn't want to pay the ~$400 a month for virtually nothing with the bronze plan. $6k deductible makes it pretty worthless. We will adjust withholding to ensure that we don't leave anything on the table.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:04 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Damm so basically a single person who is unemployed and healthy and don't need insurance at this time has to get insurance or be fined?

Obama is truly the dumbest man I have ever come across in my life

Old 12-30-2014, 12:24 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
I hate Obamacare, but I don't want to get cross-wise with the IRS, so I was willing to go along with the program in the hope that it would eventually collapse in a couple of years.

I signed up with Covered California, California's Obamacare website -- or rather, I tried to sign up.

It's the worst imaginable website, impossible to navigate, and I spent about one hundred hours trying to deal with it and its non-existent customer service by phone before I finally gave up.

I would rather pay a fine than be subjected to an incompetent bureaucracy, complete with threats of prison if they think you are doing something wrong.

As far as I know, there is no way for a Californian to comply with the law without going through Covered California.

I won't go into the details of how bad Covered California is in this post. Just check out its Yelp reviews -- "Covered California" located in "Sacramento, California."

Just as Obama lied when he said you could keep your doctor and keep your health insurance, Covered California lies when it claims that it has signed up hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers.

If you read the reviews on Yelp, that claim cannot possibly be true. Websites either work or they don't. Covered California's website doesn't.

Naturally, the Obama-worshipping liberal media have not exposed what is really going on.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I hate Obamacare, but I don't want to get cross-wise with the IRS,.
It's specifically written into the law they can't go after assets etc. If you have no refund they have no way to collect it.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's specifically written into the law they can't go after assets etc. If you have no refund they have no way to collect it.
I just googled "Obamacare penalty" and clicked on CNN's website for information ("CNN/Money").

According to them, I have two choices: pay the penalty (the greater of $95 or 1% of my income) or refuse to pay it.

You're right that the IRS can't do anything about my not paying it if I'm not getting a refund.

But here's the thing:

I have never refused to do anything the IRS wanted me to do.

I have found not tangling with them to be conducive to my overall peace of mind. They are like a tiger whose tail it is best not to grab.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottgot...obamacare-tax/

There is also the Obamacare 'hardship' exemption. It is on the honor system. People will pay the $95 fine because it's not much money, and they're rightly afraid of the federal gov't. But as the fine ratchets up from year to year, nobody is going to pay.

The fine goes to $395 next year, and $695 in 2016. Or 2% of income (2015) or 2.5% (2016)--whichever is greater. So if you make $50,000, your fine would be $1000 in 2015, and $1250 in 2016 and thereafter. No one is going to pay that when they can just get out of it by declaring that they had a 'hardship.' At that point the 'mandate,' the central feature of Obamacare, becomes a MINO (mandate in name only).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies