Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 01:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,013,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Someone wants to discuss economics without even the barest understanding of inflation is?
The government tells us that inflation is almost non existent. Odd it does when they spend more and truthfully that is where the inflation is created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 02:09 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,835,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who advocate for smaller gov't how do you decide what to cut and why to get this smaller government?
WHY?

Because the country is founded on principles of personal freedoms, private property rights and LIMITED GOVERNMENT. Government is given very NARROW and specific rights. Any rights NOT STATED do NOT exist. For extra measure, PROHIBITIONS on government overreach were enumerated such as the Second Amendment.

Our Founders were brilliant men. Scholars. They knew history and predicted EXACTLY what is going on today. And warned us.

Ben Franklin:"It's a republic. If you can keep it."

People say all sorts of NONSENSE like "Congress can't get "anything done"." It's NOT THEIR JOB to get things done. The Senate was established VERY SPECIFICALLY to SLOW THINGS DOWN from "a fundamental transformation of America" by totalitarian visionaries like Mr Obama. Mr. Obama being the COMPOSITE of all his Progressive predecessors and current ideologues rolled into one individual. I can NOT believe so many people fighting so HARD to give UP their FREEDOMS. And hand them right over to a bunch of corrupt individuals.

Progressivism is a philosophy of LARGE CENTRALIZED GOVERNMENT with an intentional underclass and ruling bureaucrats. The two philosophies contradict each other. People don't even QUESTION the "word" PROGRESSIVE because they think it must mean "cool". Modern. And of course, since Progressives have taken over "education" even basic civics aren't being taught. And colleges are even coming up with programs to rewrite history to FLIP what actually happened. Good is bad. Bad is good. "REIMAGINING HISTORY"

HOW?

WIN the Culture War.

STOP Executive Orders and unelected bureaucrats power to impose LAWS not introduced by Congress.

Cut the EPA to at least a quarter. Preferably get rid of 90% of it or ALL of it.

Get rid of Dept of Education.

Disband and defund phony quasi activist groups like The U.S. Department of Arts and Culture

Term limits.

Tort reform.

Tax reform. Get rid of the IRS behemoth.

Enforce the border and existing immigration laws

Waste attacts.

Every time you allow some crony corrupt politician to "FUND" some stupid project/study etc, like SHRIMP ON A TREADMILL, you are growing the corruption. Why do you think college is so expensive? They are growing mini empires, country clubs and bleeding the willing ignorant citizens dry. (for example)

START HERE:

Wastebook 2014: What Washington doesn't want you to read. - Press Releases - Tom Coburn, M.D., United States Senator from Oklahoma

Quote:
Examples of wasteful spending highlighted in “Wastebook 2014” include:

Coast guard party patrols – $100,000
Watching grass grow – $10,000
State department tweets @ terrorists – $3 million
Swedish massages for rabbits – $387,000
Paid vacations for bureaucrats gone wild – $20 million
Mountain lions on a treadmill – $856,000
Synchronized swimming for sea monkeys – $50,000
Pentagon to destroy $16 billion in unused ammunition -- $1 billion
Scientists hope monkey gambling unlocks secrets of free will –$171,000
Rich and famous rent out their luxury pads tax free – $10 million
Studying “hangry” spouses stabbing voodoo dolls – $331,000
Promoting U.S. culture around the globe with nose flutists – $90 million
Once the party's over for these cronies, and the message is CLEAR, the real work can start. The big ticket items.

LIKE THIS OUTRAGE:

42% of all new medicaid signups are immigrants

By 2013, 25 percent of immigrants and their children were on Medicaid, compared to 16 percent of natives and their children. Almost half of the low-income Americans who have enrolled in Medicaid in the past two years are immigrants to the United States, according to a new report, suggesting that Obamacare’s large expansion in the program will disproportionately benefit immigrants as well.

More than 90 Percent of a Group of Illegal Immigrants from Surge This Summer Never Showed Up to Their Immigration Hearings

Last edited by runswithscissors; 12-31-2014 at 02:43 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 04:50 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,352,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I would prefer the slash and burn mentality but since that will never happen this is probably the most pragmatic.
The One Cent Solution: Support the
Like it but put it together with Simpson/Bowles and let the cutting begin.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:33 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,462,632 times
Quote:
I know how you feel ..they have no right spending my money building a bridge in Detroit I will never drive on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Brilliant come back. Not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Which bridge in Detroit is that?

I mean, isn't Detroit in the United States? I know it's been a while since i've been there, and it's a couple of thousand miles from my hometown, but i thought i was still in this country when i last passed through there.

You tell me.

The bridge should not be the federal governments responsibility, unless an interstate Hwy. The prosperity of a community, depends on it's own leaders and persons.

Is it a state hwy? Or does it fall in the counties jurisdiction? How about within an incorporated cities boundaries?

There is how the chain of responsibilities are to take place.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Most of you want to cut any government programs you do not personally benefit from. That is just applied selfishness. Just another form of "I've got mine and to hell with you".

All which can be done at the state level. Each state deciding what is going to draw residents to their state for economic benefit.

The only programs I need the federal government to do, is have a well regulated military, to defend the nation against an attack.
and a program to keep my state from fighting with another state.
and another program to keep trade flowing with all other nations, with tariffs to make our blood, sweat & tears, worth something to Americans.
The other program is to make one currency, that gets manipulated by the market, not a central independent bank, able to print counterfeit money at will to pay the debt of the central government.

Very little revenue is needed for those very things.
The burden should be on each individual state, to make it or go broke.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I like it, except for the tax part. Tolls are the purest and fairest form of financing highways...If you use them, you pay for them, if you don't, you don't.

As long as there is a dirt path, wide enough for my mule and wagon to get through, that will get me there without a toll......

Old 12-31-2014, 07:20 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,260,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If the American people wanted small government, they'd have it.

The fact that we don't have it tells you all you need to know.
I can agree with you on that.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:49 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,222,710 times
I'll throw out a few small cuts that will be a start.
Dept of Interior has nine unique bureau that basically do the same thing; oversee interior or shore lands, from the BLM to the NPS but they all have their hierarchy that could be combined.

Then the Dept of Agriculture has the National Forest service and in many states, those forest butt up against BLM or NPS lands, and they do the exact same thing the BLM does in managing lands. And many people don't realize that the BLM (Bureau of Land Management....very big in the western states) actually oversees forest in some states, they just don't call it a national forest (Henry Mountains UT).

Easy to roll the forest service into the BLM, then roll the Park service under the BLM and then look at those other DOI agencies and start consolidating.

It is a start, it would save hundreds of millions and no one, other than workers at the agencies, would ever note a change was made.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:59 AM

58,666 posts, read 27,018,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
No, in fact,

The federal government employs 600,000 fewer workers today than the average for the past 50 years. In 2011 4.36 million worked for all branches of the federal government, civilian and military. Peak federal employment in the last half century was at the height of the Vietnam War, 1968, with 6.68 million

eSources:
Office of Management and Budget: “Fiscal Year 2013 Analytical Perspectives”
US Office of Personnel Management: “Historical Federal Workforce Tables”
US Office of Personnel Management: “Performance & Compensation”mployment in the last half century was at the height of the Vietnam War, 1968, with 6.68 million.

The issue is not the SIZE of government, it's the waste. Federal agencies waste millions on studies and projects that will not result in any significant change. Many government employees are overwhelmed with the amount of work they are expected to perform in light of recent cutbacks in hiring BUT, cutting the workforce doesn't solve the problem. Agencies must be held accountable for HOW they spend money. Conducting research, studies, and new programs that accomplish nothing for the American people is where the waste is. Congress must be held accountable to know what Agencies are doing and why, and to hold Agencies accountable for waste. Old, outdated polices and federal regulations need to change. Until that happens, your tax dollars will be wasted. If the average American truly understood the size and scope of government waste, there would be a revolution.
Does your numbers include federal contractors?

I know when I worked for Uncle Sam they would loudly proclaim how many gov't jobs the reduced but, never included the addional contractors that were hired.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:03 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,260,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Does your numbers include federal contractors?

I know when I worked for Uncle Sam they would loudly proclaim how many gov't jobs the reduced but, never included the addional contractors that were hired.
I know the people who deliver our mail are contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies