Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 07:52 AM

11,976 posts, read 8,306,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Feel free to dispute the medical examiner's findings.

But please support your opinion with more than emotional verbage.

Carry on.

Here you are, Old Gringo. (And some "emotional verbiage.")

From the "New York Post" and the autopsy report:

Man in chokehold death had no throat damage: autopsy | New York Post

You can't choke a man to death without breaking bones or crushing his windpipe. In fact, a man being choked to death can't keep saying, "I can't breathe." He can't speak at all. Funny how so few people know that.

He was just too big and too out of shape for them to be able to manage securing him. And he foolishly wasn't cooperating.

We have people pitting the races against each other and too many of us are listening to their lies and hearsay and falling for it. It's not for the good of any one of us that they are stirring up this hatred and more people are going to get hurt and killed if we buy into the lies.

These are the same old guys who had their heyday back in the sixties and it's what they know how to do best. Reliving their youth and getting rich and powerful off of us all.

They've got a whole new generation of people thinking they're victims of the law when, in fact, this a relatively rare occurrence compared to the thousands of peaceful arrests made every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 08:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've never heard a single person say that Mr. Gardiner deserve to die for what he did. But he certainly did everything wrong he could possibly do to create a bad situation for himself.

The police didn't go out looking for a black man to harm. The store owner called the police and complained that Gardiner was selling tax-free cigarettes in front of his store.
You can't just make things up and expect anyone to take you seriously. They were called out because of a fight. It also gets old when someone jumps in late with the same old bogus arguments that have already been covered many times.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,444,617 times
Quote:
Here you are, Old Gringo. (And some "emotional verbiage.")

From the "New York Post" and the autopsy report:

Man in chokehold death had no throat damage: autopsy | New York Post

You can't choke a man to death without breaking bones or crushing his windpipe. In fact, a man being choked to death can't keep saying, "I can't breathe." He can't speak at all. Funny how so few people know that.

He was just too big and too out of shape for them to be able to manage securing him. And he foolishly wasn't cooperating.
OK, does all that verbage change the ruling that Garner's death was a homicide?

Has the medical examiner's report been edited or revised?

From the original report:

The city medical examiner has ruled the death of Eric Garner, the 43-year-old father whose death in police custody sparked national outrage, a homicide, saying a chokehold killed him.
The medical examiner said compression of the neck and chest, along with Garner's positioning on the ground while being restrained by police during the July 17 stop on Staten Island, caused his death.

Quote:
We have people pitting the races against each other and too many of us are listening to their lies and hearsay and falling for it. It's not for the good of any one of us that they are stirring up this hatred and more people are going to get hurt and killed if we buy into the lies.

These are the same old guys who had their heyday back in the sixties and it's what they know how to do best. Reliving their youth and getting rich and powerful off of us all.

They've got a whole new generation of people thinking they're victims of the law when, in fact, this a relatively rare occurrence compared to the thousands of peaceful arrests made every day.
We have people refusing to see what clear video and audio evidence presents, retreating behind fantasies to reaffirm their prejudices.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:19 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,479,823 times
Great job, De Blasio.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:35 AM

11,976 posts, read 8,306,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can't just make things up and expect anyone to take you seriously. They were called out because of a fight. It also gets old when someone jumps in late with the same old bogus arguments that have already been covered many times.
If you read this article it will give a description of what set the whole thing in motion. In and among phone call complaints there was also the complaint of a fight. But a phone call complaint about him selling tax-free cigarettes came first.

NYPD No. 3's order over loose smokes led to Garner chokehold death - NY Daily News

Please don't automatically assume because you don't have your research done that I am making things up. I spend time researching before I post to try to avoid errors. The truth is important in matters of life and death.

I see now that store owners are backpedaling and no one wants to take credit for calling the police. Funny how the different papers report different things on different days. Takes some logic to figure it out. But my radio was on the day it began and I've followed it daily since it began so I have a pretty good sense of what happened, who may be changing their story and why.

It's all politics and it shouldn't be. It should be about people, legality and fairness.

Guess you guys that aren't getting it because you don't have all the information are doomed. You are doomed to keep reading posts trying to give you the whole facts - the same old inconvenient facts.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
If you read this article it will give a description of what set the whole thing in motion. In and among phone call complaints there was also the complaint of a fight. But a phone call complaint about him selling tax-free cigarettes came first.
Seriously, I would be embarrassed to have that article represent my point of view.

First "Quality of life", that is embarrassing. N.Y. has no problem with cigarette's being sold as long as they get their cut. Even thinking about this brings up the entire problem. Police harassment for things that should be absolutely none of their business. It's crazy that we would arrest people for smoking.

Six officers are not sent out to bust a guy selling cigarette's. Nowhere does it state that they saw Garner selling them either. They just recognized him from before and decided they would harass him over what is a non issue.

What happened 3 months earlier is irrelevant to that day. Would I be absolutely surprised if he hadn't learned his lesson? No, but as far as the law is concerned he can't be harassed over his past actions when no new evidence is present. They did not see him selling smokes.

Quote:
Please don't automatically assume because you don't have your research done that I am making things up. I spend time researching before I post to try to avoid errors. The truth is important in matters of life and death.

I see now that store owners are backpedaling and no one wants to take credit for calling the police. Funny how the different papers report different things on different days. Takes some logic to figure it out. But my radio was on the day it began and I've followed it daily since it began so I have a pretty good sense of what happened, who may be changing their story and why.

It's all politics and it shouldn't be. It should be about people, legality and fairness.

Guess you guys that aren't getting it because you don't have all the information are doomed. You are doomed to keep reading posts trying to give you the whole facts - the same old inconvenient facts.
The article you posted has zero facts to back up that Garner was doing anything illegal the day the police killed him.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:05 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,263,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Seriously, I would be embarrassed to have that article represent my point of view.

First "Quality of life", that is embarrassing. N.Y. has no problem with cigarette's being sold as long as they get their cut. Even thinking about this brings up the entire problem. Police harassment for things that should be absolutely none of their business. It's crazy that we would arrest people for smoking.

Six officers are not sent out to bust a guy selling cigarette's. Nowhere does it state that they saw Garner selling them either. They just recognized him from before and decided they would harass him over what is a non issue.

What happened 3 months earlier is irrelevant to that day. Would I be absolutely surprised if he hadn't learned his lesson? No, but as far as the law is concerned he can't be harassed over his past actions when no new evidence is present. They did not see him selling smokes.

The article you posted has zero facts to back up that Garner was doing anything illegal the day the police killed him.
If you are 100% right.......then all Garner had to do is be arrested......make a trip to the court system......and bond out.....like he had done many times before.

One thing Garner was right about....."it stops today".

Old 01-01-2015, 09:10 AM

57,007 posts, read 25,978,952 times
Quote:
Here's the statement DeBlasio made,

"Chirlane and I have had to talk to Dante for years about the dangers that he may face. A good young man, law-abiding young man who would never think to do anything wrong. And yet, because of a history that still hangs over us, the dangers he may face, we’ve had to literally train him—as families have all over this city for decades—in how to take special care in any encounter he has with the police officers who are there to protect him.
And that painful sense of contradiction that our young people see first, that our police are here to protect us, and we honor that, and at the same time, there’s a history we have to overcome, because for so many of our young people, there’s a fear. And for so many of our families, there’s a fear. So I’ve had to worry over the years. Chirlane’s had to worry. Is Dante safe each night?
There are so many families in this city who feel that each and every night. Is my child safe? And not just from some of the painful realities—crime and violence in some of our neighborhoods—but is safe from the very people they want to have faith in as their protectors. That’s the reality."

The bolding part is mine and is the usual mistake almost all parents make which leads to problems.

Implying that his son is in more danger by the hand of police than by the hand of another person of color is a direct contradiction of the statistics to the contrary and that's why it appears to be an insult to the majority of law-abiding police officers.
He should have never made that statement in public since he is the mayor but the police have over reacted. It was an honest portrayal of how a good percentage of people feel towards the police still it was pretty dumb to do that in the largest press conference of his administration. He did go on to say many other things and was noncommittal on the grand jury but the focus will continue to be on that statement. Time for the city to move on.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:11 AM

10,822 posts, read 14,891,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
down 94% for minor stuff, overall down 66%.

Arrests plummet 66% with NYPD in virtual work stoppage | New York Post

....I think we will have an interesting little civics experiment play out here. From stop and frisk and broken window policing to...eh, whatever.

I'm sure the criminal element in NYC won't take advantage of this. Crime is down so much, there probably isn't any criminal element left.
I support the police actions.

What New York cops must do is adopt a complete "hands off" policy when it comes to any black person and crime.

By complete hands off I mean just that, regardless of the crime whether it is jay walking, spitting on the sidewalk, selling contraband cigarettes or shooting up a crowded restaurant with an AK-47 killing a dozen people because to approach him is racism, sexism, homophobism not to mention taking great liberties with their white privilege.

//Sarcasm Off

Old 01-01-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If you are 100% right.......then all Garner had to do is be arrested......make a trip to the court system......and bond out.....like he had done many times before.

One thing Garner was right about....."it stops today".
People are tired of having to have to do that after doing nothing, just the same as you would. It's odd how easy people see things for others that they would never accept.

Besides, it's unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies