Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 02:34 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Oh yah, there is the scenario where the obviously unarmed punk tries to jack someone carrying and gets the surprise of his life. I don't believe that happens that much. I don't see much restraint on the part of gun owners when they have a kill shot. I want no part of an America where "stand your ground" AND the 2nd Amendment are both the Law of the Land. I don't think it will come to that. YMMV.

H
Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it doesn't happen, most anti gun nuts willfully ignore any and all statistics that prove they're wrong, no reason to stop now. I'm sure you ignore or dismiss the hundreds of thousands of times a year firearms are used by people to defend themselves without firing a shot, you don't agree so it just doesn't happen right? You don't see any restraint by gun owners because you don't want to. Your ignorance and bias are so typical of the rabid urban liberal.

You don't want to be part of America? Fine, leave if any other country will have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
That is just not true. About 6% of the people who attempt suicide by cutting their wrist are successful. 97% of people who shoot themselves in the head die. In addition, surviving suicide patients usually do not attempt suicide again. About 80% of suicides are impulse not premeditated.
It does not matter.....you cannot say that a gang banger who kills someone "just because" is in the same arena as someone who is trying to commit suicide....

It makes your number's double and looks really good, now you can say 30k people are dead because of a gun....yet you take the suicide people out and that drops in half.....then you take out the gang bangers who kill "just because" your number again drops...

Old 01-06-2015, 02:48 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Because most accidents are preventable, because many accidents draw innocents into a total strangers drama or carelessness or indifference... ok? Also, we've been over this: you don't get to 'defend' your life with a firearm unless your attacker is incompetent. Do I need to provide links to some of the many, many shooting victims who were armed at the time of their demise? Do you know how many rape victims are armed at the time of their attacks? How many have their own guns used against them? Not all attackers are incompetent enough to let their victim get the upper hand. Some people already know this, so they peremptorily shoot other people in very questionable situations. As long as they kill their "attackers" and there are no witnesses to the murder, and as long as they live in a Red State with "stand your ground" statutes they are golden. But that's the only way guns work for people. Shoot early and often, and be white when you do it. Oh yah, there is the scenario where the obviously unarmed punk tries to jack someone carrying and gets the surprise of his life. I don't believe that happens that much. I don't see much restraint on the part of gun owners when they have a kill shot. I want no part of an America where "stand your ground" AND the 2nd Amendment are both the Law of the Land. I don't think it will come to that. YMMV.

H
Incompetent attacker or competent one.... that is strictly your opinion.
However researchers claim that firearms are used in self defense as many as 2 million times a year. Many go unreported because simply brandishing the gun had detered the attacker.
The bureau of justice statistics and the National Crime Victimization Survey concede that there are at least 100,000 self defenses each year. All your drivel means nothing to the people that did not get injured or die because they they live in a country that allows them to use lethal force to defend themselves. They very well could be dead victim statistics.

How Often Do We Use Guns in Self-Defense? - Businessweek

Search Results: self defense shootings

Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Absolutely wrong:

Gun homicides -- arguments degenerate into fights which become deadly with the addition of a gun.
Do you believe that gun owners are less argumentative and less violent than the rest of the population in general?

If not, how do you suppose it is we never hear about shootouts at gun ranges?

Since there are between 16,000 and 18,000 indoor gun ranges alone ( Shooting ranges in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) in the US, why are we not seeing all of the gun fights following arguments?

Quote:
Suicides -- most attempted suicides fail, except for those made with a gun.
Please back that up with data comparing it to successful attempts by those jumping off of buildings.

As is well documented, most suicide "attempts" are actually cries for help and not really seeking to end their own lives. The ones who are serious about killing themselves use a gun or jump off a building. Most of the wrist cutters are looking for attention, not death. ( Suicide and suicidal behavior: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia )

Quote:
The data are uncontroverted. Lower % of households with guns = lower death rate.

The data is also controverted that the lower % of households with medication = lower the death rate of children who ingest it.

We can also talk about cars, pools, bathtubs, electrical circuitry, decks, knives, gas appliances, etc?

Old 01-06-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
That is just not true. About 6% of the people who attempt suicide by cutting their wrist are successful. 97% of people who shoot themselves in the head die. In addition, surviving suicide patients usually do not attempt suicide again. About 80% of suicides are impulse not premeditated.
Can you please explain to us why there are countries with strict gun laws ranking higher than us in the number of suicides?

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh my, how is your argument ever going to hold up?

In South Korea "a place where gun ownership is strictly illegal" ( http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...n-south-korea/ ), the suicide rate is 28.5 for every 100,000 while the US is 12.5 for every 100,000. South Korea has more than double the suicide rate.

How do you explain that in a country where "even possessing a toy gun ‘that resembles a real gun’ is strictly prohibited" ( http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...n-south-korea/ ) the suicide rate is so high?

Old 01-06-2015, 03:35 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It does not matter.....you cannot say that a gang banger who kills someone "just because" is in the same arena as someone who is trying to commit suicide....

It makes your number's double and looks really good, now you can say 30k people are dead because of a gun....yet you take the suicide people out and that drops in half.....then you take out the gang bangers who kill "just because" your number again drops...
I certainly can.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:38 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Can you please explain to us why there are countries with strict gun laws ranking higher than us in the number of suicides?
No I can't, nor do I need to. In the United States, the states with strict gun control and low gun ownership have dramatically lower rates of total suicide. That is sufficient.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
No I can't, nor do I need to. In the United States, the states with strict gun control and low gun ownership have dramatically lower rates of total suicide. That is sufficient.
ROLFMAO!!!

This just proves you are looking at this emotionally and not logically.

Suicide has a strong cultural aspect to it and even a geographic aspect as well.

But if pretending that guns make Americans more suicidal while you ignore the fact that many countries with far less gun ownership have much higher suicide rates gives you a convenient way to rationalize your fear of guns, go for it.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I certainly can.
Of course you can....but to a person who understands the difference, which you don't, cannot....

That 's like saying everyone who drinks will kill someone because they maybe a drunk driver...

Old 01-06-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:

LOLzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies