Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 07:17 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Pools, cars, carving knives, baseball bats, candles, matches, even a stove; all inanimate objects with a primary purpose other than to inflict harm upon an animate object: ergo "acceptable risk".

Guns; another inanimate object but designed and intended for the sole purpose of inflicting harm to an animate object: ergo...I'll go with a "less" acceptable risk.

It's not the gun that is the problem; it's the people with them.
Hahaha...in one fare swoop, you completely dismantled the anti gun argument that it is the gun and only the gun...

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 10:10 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
The original weapon of murder was the club and the rock. Knives have taken more life over the centuries than guns. That's a documented fact.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:46 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It's not the gun that is the problem; it's the people with them.
Agreed, and that's where we need to be focusing our efforts. Too many people take an approach to guns that is too casual. Folks need to be reminded that if you are responsible for an item that is made to blow somebody's head off you need to exercise a high level of care at all times.

These parents are within their Second amendment rights, for example, but this still seems like a bad idea to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2oUfhQgfAo

Old 01-11-2015, 10:58 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
My future is much more promising. I have not shot and killed my only mother! Do you know what the word "irony" means? . Blithe put downs are all your side has, and that would be fine except people are dying while the debate rages over how to reign in the out of control proliferation of small arms in the population. I'll take it as a yes that it is a regretful thing when someone dies far short of old age due to preventable circumstances. Heads up, it is Conservatives dying in this fashion by a wide margin more so than Liberals. Who is stupid here? I'm serious. If living long and well is the goal... which side of the partisan divide is actually getting the job done?
I believe you are overlooking all the young black men who kill each other daily in America. Surely not many of them are 'conservatives'. Although, I am not suggesting they are 'liberal' either. Let's just say they are takers and often die because of it.

I can't think of a single 'conservative' demographic that dies each day in such numbers.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The original weapon of murder was the club and the rock. Knives have taken more life over the centuries than guns. That's a documented fact.
And in 2011 more people were killed with "personal" weapons...Personal weapons,(hands, fists, feet, etc.)

But people hate facts....

Old 01-12-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Agreed, and that's where we need to be focusing our efforts. Too many people take an approach to guns that is too casual. Folks need to be reminded that if you are responsible for an item that is made to blow somebody's head off you need to exercise a high level of care at all times.

These parents are within their Second amendment rights, for example, but this still seems like a bad idea to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2oUfhQgfAo
People are stupid, as we can see here....how do you fix stupid?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:52 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, we can do a lot to fix stupid, as I have posted numerous times in this thread. That's where we need to be focusing our efforts.

See, e.g., //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post37895705

Old 01-12-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I was going to post that statement yesterday but did not want to seem too general, and yet on a daily basis I see great evidence that people are operating on a fraction of their brains.

Sometimes I feel cursed that I have such a strong sense of logic and rationality. It must be nice wandering through life in a fog letting others clean up your messes.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:01 AM

[quote=arjay57;37988692]Well, we can do a lot to fix stupid, as I have posted numerous times in this thread. That's where we need to be focusing our efforts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My life experience tells me that your statement is generally untrue.

Stupidity is a choice people make starting in the earliest years of life and throughout. Basically, it is the most indideous form of laziness.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, we can do a lot to fix stupid, as I have posted numerous times in this thread. That's where we need to be focusing our efforts.

See, e.g., //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post37895705
You post a link that shows where a cop shot his wife....how much more "knowledge" can you give a cop, that is stupid?

All the knowledge in the world will not prevent someone for doing something stupid...if it were true, there would never be another drunk driver, nobody would run stop signs, people would not overdose, the list can go on and on...

If you don't want to learn, no amount of education is going to help....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies