Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 04:15 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I make a living teaching firearm safety so you would think I would be for mandatory training.... I would make a lot more money. However, (and this has been the topic of instructor seminars) how can you implement this without a records database? How do you enforce this with private party transfers? A lot of people have put their heads together make it work for everyone.
Many states have mandatory training. This is nothing new. Here we have it and you can do private party transfers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailhead View Post
Stupidity?

If you have a small child why would you keep a gun with a round chambered?? Plain stupid.

It literally takes me less than one second to chamber a round. That .05 seconds is not going to make a difference.

Quote:
That .05 seconds is not going to make a difference.
Science, training, and statistics show that statement is wrong. Also what happens if someone attacks you and you need to fend them off with your support hand? That no round chambered argument is beyond asinine.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
With proper training you can load your gun pretty fast. At the range I can unholster, load a magazine, and chamber a round in 2 seconds flat.

Tueller Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-31-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Mind doesn't have a safety, but it does have a 10lb trigger pull, which would probably impossible for a 2 year old to pull. You don't have to have a round chambered as it takes me less than 1 secons to chamber a round.

If someone pulls a gun on you, you will never be as fast as the person because reaction is ALWAYS slower than action, always, 100% of the time.
You carry a gun that has a 10 lb trigger and without a round in the chamber? The best advice you'll get is to leave that paper weight at home because in that condition it's about as effective as a screen door on a submarine.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They all have bullets in the magazine, but none are chambered. Except, obviously, the revolvers.
They all have bullets in the magazine? Hopefully they have cases, primers, and power also otherwise those bullets are pretty useless.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:34 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This woman was forced to make a decision whether to risk going to a Walmart unarmed in a place like Hayden, Idaho versus the very small chance of being shot by a 2 year old.
Good to see some great posts in this thread. I'm seeing it for the first time and have read just a few of them. Have the pro-gun zealots twisted this unspeakable tragedy into another reason to carry a gun yet?

When you consider for just a moment what is ahead for that child....and for the rest of the family, unspeakable tragedy becomes a worn phrase that just doesn't begin to capture the full impact of this senseless event. There just aren't words.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How was she forced. She made a conscious decision to carry it. And Hayden isn't exactly the crime world.
I think you need to turn your sarcasm filter off.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:16 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
zero sympathy for anyone shot by their own gun.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:36 AM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
There was a little on the local news this morning. The woman was visiting in Hayden. She was a scientist at a National Lab in southeast Idaho.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:56 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
My idea of gun safety is to stay away from guns. Trouble is, so many people have them. Why, I just heard about a 29 year old woman in Wal-Mart with her toddler, and she had a lethal weapon! I bet it turned out badly.

"No safety on the weapon". Yeah well, no safety around weapons. They do what they're made to do. But I don't think there'll be a resolution here that will please everyone.
It is your choice. The mother made a bad choice leaving a gun loosely in her purse with a chambered round. I carry a Ruger LCP .380 with a chambered round always, it has no safety and yes a toddler could accidently fire it when handling it. With no round in the chamber, it would be impossible for a toddler to fire it. It is a bad choice to carry a pistol in a purse, I can't imagine digging for it when you need it in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies