Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 11:05 AM

44 posts, read 45,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So what laws do you suggest to stop those?
increasing prison time for thugs caught committing violent acts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I agree with innocent people being killed. The problem this woman will get more coverage as a redneck in Idaho, than most gang members or drug cartel who kill daily.

People who blame the "gun" rather than the "gun owner" being irresponsible, is most confusing!
Oh I blame the gun owner and lack of safety in this.

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
So what laws do you suggest to stop those?
I don't think "penalties" or " a law" is needed, to deal with trash..... Sometimes it's just what needs to be done.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:06 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Noted, I will keep in mind that you take everything literal and don't know what a figure of speech is.

And you are using the guns saves lives threads to push for a decrease in laws agenda.
Noted that playing the anti's game...you don't like it being played back on you...

Where have I said to decrease laws?

I want laws that will work against the criminal, not me.....that what anti's cannot figure out....there are enough darn laws as it is for guns....for legal people that is....

Old 12-31-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's not because the gang subject is racially taboo.

The reason is that the large urban centers don't want to spend the money on diversion programs, job opportunities and other initiatives for the urban minority poor. It's just wayyyy cheaper to put them in ghettos away from the nice areas and just kill each other.

Guess what? It works. Chicago has nieghborhoods 3 miles apart that have murder rates 35x higher than the other. They keep the crime out of the nice areas.

The only tricky part is keeping the local population from throwing a fit over the fact that you are screwing them over and ignoring their plight.

So, the politicians which are mostly democrat have to find a scapegoat that their constituency will buy into and have the added benefit of being largely tied to "outsiders" aka rural areas and republicans....so they blame guns.

Mind you, Lincoln Park Chicago has a murder rate per 100,000 comparable to JAPAN....and 3 miles away Austin neighborhood has a murder rate comparable to Mexico city. Same laws, same cops, same gun availability....but wait....it's the fault of guns.

How come Lincoln Park doesn't have a gun problem then?

So many fools join in as anti-gun because that's what their party tells them to do. In reality, they are helping to oppress poor minorities by accepting this lie.
Same could be said about Republicans and their supporters. I don't see Republicans calling for diversifying neighborhoods to help reduce crime. Nor do I hear any right wingers proposing any solutions beyond do nothing.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:08 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,938 times
Quote:

The reason is that the large urban centers don't want to spend the money on diversion programs, job opportunities and other initiatives for the urban minority poor. It's just wayyyy cheaper to put them in ghettos away from the nice areas and just kill each other.

Guess what? It works. Chicago has nieghborhoods 3 miles apart that have murder rates 35x higher than the other. They keep the crime out of the nice areas.

The only tricky part is keeping the local population from throwing a fit over the fact that you are screwing them over and ignoring their plight.

So, the politicians which are mostly democrat have to find a scapegoat that their constituency will buy into and have the added benefit of being largely tied to "outsiders" aka rural areas and republicans....so they blame guns.

Mind you, Lincoln Park Chicago has a murder rate per 100,000 comparable to JAPAN....and 3 miles away Austin neighborhood has a murder rate comparable to Mexico city. Same laws, same cops, same gun availability....but wait....it's the fault of guns.

So many fools join in as anti-gun because that's what their party tells them to do. In reality, they are helping to oppress poor minorities by accepting this lie.
The mother isn't dead because of any issues with Chicago's minority population.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:10 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Quote:

I agree... this should be the forefront of media attention if the anti gunners were sincere about making a dent in gun violence statistics that they blame legal gun owners for.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Noted that playing the anti's game...you don't like it being played back on you...

Where have I said to decrease laws?

I want laws that will work against the criminal, not me.....that what anti's cannot figure out....there are enough darn laws as it is for guns....for legal people that is....
A gun owner isn't a criminal until they commit a crime.

Oh so either you last part is either saying you are satisfied with the current number of gun laws or you wish them to be decreased, which is it?

Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Please read the story before inserting your foot into your mouth. You will see it had nothing to do with feeling unsafe.

The inside story of how an Idaho toddler shot his mom at Wal-Mart - The Washington Post

So I read the article and feel even more strongly that the mother was irresponsible.
The article clearly states that she was not carrying a gun because for self protection, but because she liked guns! She had a loaded gun where a child could get to it (she had 4 children with her) and the gun was serving not purpose other than as a toy!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:16 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Same could be said about Republicans and their supporters. I don't see Republicans calling for diversifying neighborhoods to help reduce crime. Nor do I hear any right wingers proposing any solutions beyond do nothing.
Right bark, wrong tree.

While the republicans have their own (big) bag of issues.....they don't even remotely have any power in those areas.

I'm not sure what solutions they could propose because the purse strings would still be held by the local government as does control of the police.

In fairness, the occaisonal urban republican mayor will use other excuses and on occasion will play the "guns" card too but they will preface it with "illegal guns".

The bottom line is that guns are widespread but gun violence is highly concentrated. Heck, we have the bulk of the great plains states with gun violence rates similar to Canada.

The Republicans could help by proposing a national jobs initiative for impoverished areas. It would need to be a matching funds style program so that there is buy-in from the cities too. That is one thing I can think of. However, what does that get them politically? Nothing.

In short, the people getting screwed over are poor and brown and they have no political power because their vote is a given and their campaign contributions are tiny. Shame on both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies