Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
yeah, some......

I'm talking about the legitimate cases of self defense that happen every day in this country. What about them? Why don't they seem to count for anything?

You do know that even the anti-gun Brady Campaign concedes to at least 50,000 cases of defensive gun uses every year. More liberal estimates put the number between 2.5 -3 million cases per year.

Regardless of the real number, it's a lot, and nobody seems to think those cases count for anything. Why is that? Why doesn't the positive incidents factor in?
The positive accounts are mostly fabrications of the NRA. Most of them involved incompetent assailants. The rest were murder! How many of these positive cases involved children? Children are a hot button you know. Got any feel good war stories of children and fire-arms that end well for the kids? Usually they don't. As I understand it less than 2% of home invasions are thwarted by a homeowner with a gun. 30% of invaded homes had a gun on the premises. In around 10% of these incidents the invaders got to the homeowners gun first or disarmed the homeowner and used the homeowners own firearm to subdue them and complete the invasion. A gun is a whole lot cheaper than a Panic Room. A whole lot. If guns worked better at securing personal safety the people who install state of the art home security would be a lot more worried. I'm not a dog person but I can't argue with their usefulness. Yes they can be defeated but its like most situations like this. The criminal who can put down a 100lb Rottie is out of most homeowners league no matter what they are armed with. But how likely is it that heavyweight criminal enterprise like that is trolling in lower middle class suburban fringe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:18 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm a criminal who's about to break in to your house. Your dog comes at me, I kick it in the snout, pull out a pistol and dispatch it...... what would you do now?
Why do that and make all that noise? Just put out a bucket of antifreeze

Old 01-02-2015, 12:25 AM

274 posts, read 239,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Just a literal reading of the 2nd Amendment. Allowing people to carry handguns in the country is similarly ridiculous.
May I remind you the facts as supported by History tell us you are wrong.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
If only more toddlers were armed, they could have done something instead of watching helplessly!
How is that letter to your Senator asking to Arm all Toddlers coming along?

Old 01-02-2015, 12:34 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The positive accounts are mostly fabrications of the NRA. Most of them involved incompetent assailants. The rest were murder! How many of these positive cases involved children? Children are a hot button you know. Got any feel good war stories of children and fire-arms that end well for the kids? Usually they don't. As I understand it less than 2% of home invasions are thwarted by a homeowner with a gun. 30% of invaded homes had a gun on the premises. In around 10% of these incidents the invaders got to the homeowners gun first or disarmed the homeowner and used the homeowners own firearm to subdue them and complete the invasion. A gun is a whole lot cheaper than a Panic Room. A whole lot. If guns worked better at securing personal safety the people who install state of the art home security would be a lot more worried. I'm not a dog person but I can't argue with their usefulness. Yes they can be defeated but its like most situations like this. The criminal who can put down a 100lb Rottie is out of most homeowners league no matter what they are armed with. But how likely is it that heavyweight criminal enterprise like that is trolling in lower middle class suburban fringe?

Actually, I do have stories where children have used firearms that ended well, but I'm not going to go looking for them right now, because I really don't give a rats AZZ what you think. The fact is, the right to bear arms has been held up repeatedly by the Supreme Court and no-one is going to change the constitution. You couldn't get the votes... So your options are basically grin and bare it or go to the jolly UK.. Personally, I would recommend you do the later. There is something to be said for maintaining ones sanity which you have obviously lost.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:38 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm a criminal who's about to break in to your house. Your dog comes at me, I kick it in the snout, pull out a pistol and dispatch it...... what would you do now?
You kick the dog, you won't have a foot left. This breed is BIG and QUICK. And very protective. Also are good alarm systems, he is loud, sounds off when someone steps a foot in the yard past the gate. Plus he sleeps inside at night.

Like I wrote, a good deterrent.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Try a thousand dollar voucher. Dry up 95% of the guns in the US in a couple of months.
How about a thousand dollar voucher on free speech. This should dry up you silly comments.

Quote:
If you got millions of handguns around some one is going to do something dumb. A kid is going to shoot a parent, or another kid, or himself. A thief is going to steal it and someone gets killed in a crime using the gun. Those are all casualties of the the gun population.
Right, right, right... Hey just imagine this... Your kid takes your Car and crashes it into someone's house while he was with his friends who are now disabled. Or you walk out the Door and go to get in your Car and realize it's gone. Right as you turn to head inside to call the Police your neighbor comes out and says hey put the news on. You watch in horror as someone who stole your car runs from the Police causing Accident after accident. These are all casualties the the Car population.

Quote:
You really don't understand this stuff do you? You really think the second amendment is so you have a tool to demonstrate your manhood when some lady finds you personally lacking?
BWAHAHAHA The only tool concerned about his insufficient manhood here is you. But hey these are the arguments brought forth by the morally superior Anti-Gun folks.

Quote:
We allow concealed carry because we believe on balance it is better to have the good guys armed as well or better than the bad guys. But you think it is some fetish to improve your self worth?
No we believe it is better on balance to have the good guys armed as well or better than the bad guys.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Just quit with your nice sounding "safety regulations" speal and call it what it really is..... gun control.

There's no such thing as honesty in politics anymore.
Thank you for proving my point, who cares about gun safety anyway, it isn't like someone can be killed by a gun....oh wait, well at least a gun makes one feel safer....oh wait....I mean freedom!

Old 01-02-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Owning an item that is made to kill should be a privilege as well.
Too bad.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Anti-gun owners? When have I said I was an anti-gun owner and when did I say I speak for those people? You seem to think my support for tougher safety regulations means I am somehow "anti-gun." That would be incorrect.
So now in addition to lying to me you have started lying to yourself? This should be something to watch play out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies