Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 12:21 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
In my case, 65 years and I have never, not once, needed or wanted a gun.
The statistics I've seen say that by far the most common defensive use of guns is by folks living in cities with household incomes under $45K.

Defensive gun use falls off sharply in the suburbs and rural areas, and among people who have a household income above $45K.

The vast majority of defensive gun use (83%) comes from people aged 45 and under; 62% are 35 or younger.

Defensive gun use is relatively uncommon among people over 45 and is rare among those over 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:22 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I grew up with guns in the house. As a ten year old I used to play with my father's loaded 45 when the adults were not home. In the military I was required to maintain qualification on the 45 because we had nuclear weapons on the ship. I never had trouble staying qualified. I used to hunt. As an adult i realize there is really no sport in deer hunting, that in 65 years I've never, even in the military, been in the situation where a gun would have been useful, and I observe a lot of people who own guns and lack the training to properly use them. Periodically I'll be with someone who shoots and we will end up on a range and shoot. It's reasonable entertainment, but that doesn't make me want to keep a gun in my home.

I've live for 35 years in Washington DC and I can tell you that if you ever find yourself in a situation in DC where having a gun makes a difference to your safety, you've already made about five critical errors. Focus on not making those errors and you don't need to consider being armed.
Good for you for not letting that early experience cast your mindset in stone and do your thinking for you.

A couple of years ago I posted in a gun thread that "you don't need a gun if you make wise choices in life". It was, of course, greeted with shock and horror by the gun nuts sufficient to produce a new and separate thread with my statement as the title. I was (proud to be) the laughing stock of the gun worship community.

You've just essentially said the same thing. And it is equally true for DC, San Francisco, Kansas City, and Kokomo.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The statistics I've seen say that by far the most common defensive use of guns is by folks living in cities with household incomes under $45K.

Defensive gun use falls off sharply in the suburbs and rural areas, and among people who have a household income above $45K.

The vast majority of defensive gun use (83%) comes from people aged 45 and under; 62% are 35 or younger.

Defensive gun use is relatively uncommon among people over 45 and is rare among those over 65.
I was 45 and under for 45 years....

Old 01-02-2015, 12:25 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
I grew up with guns in the house. As a ten year old I used to play with my father's loaded 45 when the adults were not home. In the military I was required to maintain qualification on the 45 because we had nuclear weapons on the ship. I never had trouble staying qualified. I used to hunt. As an adult i realize there is really no sport in deer hunting, that in 65 years I've never, even in the military, been in the situation where a gun would have been useful, and I observe a lot of people who own guns and lack the training to properly use them. Periodically I'll be with someone who shoots and we will end up on a range and shoot. It's reasonable entertainment, but that doesn't make me want to keep a gun in my home.

I've live for 35 years in Washington DC and I can tell you that if you ever find yourself in a situation in DC where having a gun makes a difference to your safety, you've already made about five critical errors. Focus on not making those errors and you don't need to consider being armed.
Well said.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:26 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
Quote:

I agree situational awareness and avoidance is the first line of defense if possible. However sometimes even that is not enough. For instance.. Home invasions....

Homeowner shoots intruder in Vance County break-in :: WRAL.com

Old 01-02-2015, 12:31 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Ah, the armed citizen, the guarantee of our freedom.

A candidate for the Darwin Award there--but no, she already reproduced. Well, the kid won't be having siblings.
Do you have a cute metaphor every time a toddler dies? Because 2 year old children die everyday from tragic accidents and circumstances. Life must be fun for you.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:39 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
That's why I believe in requiring liability insurance for gun owners should be in order, and heavy fines or jail time for those who fail to obtain it. Also, using a gun or threatening to use one during a crime should be a felony with a minimum ten year prison sentence with no parole.
Might as well require insurance to use free speech and also to own other weapons like knives. Of course the insurance industry would love your idea So would rich people who can afford something no matter what.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
That's why I believe in requiring liability insurance for gun owners should be in order, and heavy fines or jail time for those who fail to obtain it. Also, using a gun or threatening to use one during a crime should be a felony with a minimum ten year prison sentence with no parole.
So, you want to limit gun ownership to only those who can afford the liability insurance. Once again you are wanting to create criminals from law abiding citizens,

Old 01-02-2015, 12:45 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
That's why I believe in requiring liability insurance for gun owners should be in order, and heavy fines or jail time for those who fail to obtain it. .
Better start building ALOT more prisons for your idea. Better start highering alot more undertakers also because the coffin business will be booming.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,202 times
clean up in aisle 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies