Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If someone's going to carry a gun, it should never leave their control. It should always be on their person. That's why carrying in purses, gym bags, suitcases, and golf bags is a horribly bad idea. Hopefully this tragedy gets people to re-think their method.
In the summer I wear a holster on my hip. In the winter a shoulder rig under my coat. I would never put a firearm in a fanny pack as I have seen people do. It just takes too long to get to if you need it.
Holsters are relatively cheap and enhance safety as well as function. Money well spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 05:50 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I doubt it will because this doesn't mean anything to people who lack safety training, and doing such bad behavior doesn't result in losing one's gun if caught or any kind of fine or suspension of gun ownership.
Carry permit and gun ownership are two different things. People can and do lose their carry permit for things like negligence if that negligence causes harm.

Secondly, people shouldn't need a law to convince them to practice safe gun handling. Practicing safe gun handling is a matter of self-preservation if nothing else, something this woman learned the hard way. It's a lot like seat belt laws. I don't think there should be any seat belt laws, but I'd still wear one even if they were repealed tomorrow.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
If someone's going to carry a gun, it should never leave their control. It should always be on their person. That's why carrying in purses, gym bags, suitcases, and golf bags is a horribly bad idea. Hopefully this tragedy gets people to re-think their method.
Oh...most certainly things are being thought over. These carry purses are pretty popular items, and have been for quite a while. I predict a bit of a dip in said popularity. That's not such a bad thing. In the case of carrying a firearm, trendy certainly is not the most important factor. Function before form is a good rule to follow.

In one early school I attended, many mllns ago, all the instructors emphasised that one must be willing to deal with some physical discomfort if you're going to carry concealed. Things like these purses and those silly waist bags are an attempt to overcome that. Humans like their comfort. Those waist bags were always a turn off for me. They just scream "GUN" and you always have to keep monkeying with them to keep them riding properly.

I don't think the market for such things will just die, but amongst more serious firearms folks, I see a downturn of guys buying these things for their wife.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
In the summer I wear a holster on my hip. In the winter a shoulder rig under my coat. I would never put a firearm in a fanny pack as I have seen people do. It just takes too long to get to if you need it.
I pretty much always IWB. May consider pocket carry if ever I get the ideal firearm. Only time I separate myself from my firearm is if I'm going to have a few drinks at a friends house, and even then I un-holster, unload, and put the ammo and firearm in separate locations in the vehicle.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:08 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I doubt it will because this doesn't mean anything to people who lack safety training, and doing such bad behavior doesn't result in losing one's gun if caught or any kind of fine or suspension of gun ownership.
Hmm... And here I thought allowing a child to gain access to a firearm and negligent discharge of a firearm was already a crime...

Old 01-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh...most certainly things are being thought over. These carry purses are pretty popular items, and have been for quite a while. I predict a bit of a dip in said popularity. That's not such a bad thing. In the case of carrying a firearm, trendy certainly is not the most important factor. Function before form is a good rule to follow.
Purses cause things like this current shooting to happen. Purses are often placed on the floor, chair, or shopping carts. Purses are often stolen. Purses can easily be detached from the owner.

I don't beleive thing are being over thought especially in light of the current incident.

Another issue is why didn't she have a safety on the gun?

Old 01-02-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Hmm... And here I thought allowing a child to gain access to a firearm and negligent discharge of a firearm was already a crime...
To be fair, I don't really think it is a crime, or if it is, it isn't enforced very well. A lot of the parents don't get charged when their kid gets hold of their gun and shoots their brother, sister, friend, or themselves.

That needs to change. Gun owners can store their gun however they see fit, but if it ends up in the wrong hands because of negligence, they need to face charges.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Purses cause things like this current shooting to happen. Purses are often placed on the floor, chair, or shopping carts. Purses are often stolen. Purses can easily be detached from the owner.

I don't beleive thing are being over thought especially in light of the current incident.

Another issue is why didn't she have a safety on the gun?
It just might be because there are a whole class of gun owners out there that absolutely abhor manual safeties on their carry guns. Some of them won't even consider buying a carry gun that has a manual safety on it. It's a total deal-breaker for them.

The concerns about manual safeties on carry guns are legit, I must admit, but this negative attitude toward all number of safety features has been followed by a reaction from gun manufacturers to create entire lines of carry guns that are increasingly devoid of these type of features, and are, imo, less safe for it.

Personally, I want nothing to do with a striker fired pistol that has an intentionally short trigger pull and no manual safety, but that's just me.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
To be fair, I don't really think it is a crime, or if it is, it isn't enforced very well. A lot of the parents don't get charged when their kid gets hold of their gun and shoots their brother, sister, friend, or themselves.

That needs to change. Gun owners can store their gun however they see fit, but if it ends up in the wrong hands because of negligence, they need to face charges.
Quote:
TEEN'S FATHER CHARGED AFTER TEEN USES GUN TO CONFRONT OTHERS IN ALLEY

The boy's father, 54-year-old Santiago Chavez, is charged with allowing a child to carry a firearm off premises, and more. Authorities say Chavez claims he had his gun stored away when his son got it without his permission.

Prosecutors say that argument is not good enough.
Quote:
Nevada School Shooter's Parents May Face Charges if Gun Came From Home

The parents of a seventh grade student who killed a teacher and wounded two students before taking his own life could face charges if police determine the boy got the semi-automatic gun from home, police said today.

"The potential is there [for charges to be filed]," said Sparks Police Department Deputy Chief Tom Miller. He said that decision would have to be left up to the local prosecutor's office.

Miller said investigators believe the 12-year-old obtained the Ruger 9mm semi-automatic handgun from his home, however authorities are still trying to confirm the origin of the firearm.
Quote:
Parent charged for child’s gun misconduct

Los Angeles City Attorney Mike Feuer announced that his office had filed multiple criminal charges against a parent for allegedly allowing his 14-year-old son to take a loaded firearm and ammunition from an unsecured location. The case follows the filing of a similar criminal case against a parent by the office in October.
“These events could easily have ended in tragedy. That is why keeping guns out of the hands of our kids is so important,” Feuer said. “My office will continue to aggressively enforce our gun violence prevention laws as well as educate parents on how to safely store their firearms.”
Defendant Santiago Chavez, 54, was charged with three criminal counts including allowing a child to carry a firearm off-premises; contributing to the delinquency of a minor; and permitting a child to be placed in a situation where their person or health is endangered. Each count carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and $1,000 fine. The city attorney will also be seeking weapons conditions, which could prohibit the possession of any weapons.
The city attorney’s gun violence prevention coordinator Greg Dorfman is prosecuting the case.
Quote:
Parents Charged in Shooting of 9-Month-Old Girl in Brooklyn

Brooklyn Parents Charged After Infant Daughter Accidentally Shot in Hip

The parents of a 9-month-old girl who was shot in the hip at her home in Brooklyn were charged on Sunday in connection with the shooting, the police said.

The girl’s father, Pedro Rosales, 47, was cleaning a gun on Saturday in the family’s apartment at 580 Sutter Avenue in East New York around 4 p.m. when it fired accidentally, striking his daughter, Jessica, the police said.

Mr. Rosales was charged with assault, reckless endangerment, acting in a manner injurious to a child and criminal possession of a weapon, the police said. The girl’s mother, Jessica Aguilar, 24, was charged with reckless endangerment and acting in a manner injurious to a child.
Quote:
6-year-old took loaded gun to school for show & tell; parents could be charged

Kids and guns
With the exception of some very specific circumstances, it is illegal for a minor to be in possession of a gun (Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 13-3111). None of the allowed circumstances came into play in Thursday's incident.
While the child, himself, will not face charges, his parents might.
Police are still trying to determine exactly how the little boy got his hands on the loaded weapon.
While many gun owners are diligent about keeping their weapons safely locked up, there are those who are not.
These are all within the last 2 years and I could post several more...

Old 01-02-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
It just might be because there are a whole class of gun owners out there that absolutely abhor manual safeties on their carry guns.

The concerns about manual safeties on carry guns are legit, I must admit, but this negative attitude toward all number of safety features has been followed by a reaction from gun manufacturers to create entire lines of carry guns that are increasingly devoid of these type of features, and are, imo, less safe for it.

Personally, I want nothing to do with a striker fired pistol that has an intentionally short trigger pull and no manual safety, but that's just me.
I know and I don't get it. She had an M&P Shield which offers a safety and non safety model. She'd be alive today if she choose the right one especially with young children around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies