Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
I don't think you know what "very safe" is then.

Using the same metrics as you, America, outside of a few very bad areas, has a lower homicide rate than the UK.

The US is a huge country - 3.8 million square miles. Downloading the FBI crime data by zip code and plotting where firearm deaths and other violent crime occurs is easy task. The area of those zip codes is also quantifiable. Take those areas, which represent a small fraction of total population, out of the equation and on a per capita basis America is very safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Here's California data. We have almost 40 million people and a homicide rate the same as the 60's when guns were everywhere.

Outside of a gangsters in the iron triangle and drug and other gang-related deaths, California is a very safe state.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag.../hm13/hm13.pdf

Old 01-04-2015, 08:17 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Tell these men that having a gun made their children safer.
We had a local police chief who accidentally shot his wife the other day. He was moving a gun off the bed and it simply went off.

We were sleeping when I shot my wife, Georgia police chief says on 911 tape - CNN.com

Old 01-04-2015, 08:25 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We had a local police chief who accidentally shot his wife the other day. He was moving a gun off the bed and it simply went off.

We were sleeping when I shot my wife, Georgia police chief says on 911 tape - CNN.com
So maybe "people don't kill people, guns kill people", after all?

Old 01-04-2015, 08:33 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
So maybe "people don't kill people, guns kill people", after all?
Can't rep you again, but I can say thank you.

Now we'll sit back and watch them chase their tails for another 10 pages.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:38 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Apparently he shot her multiple times in the back of the head, all an "accident." The chief better hire Mark O’Mara.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
But the NRA advocates and opposes laws.
But the NRA does not vote or create laws Their opposition holds no weight.

Quote:
Haha...you say smart guns do not work but how is expecting people to follow simple gun safety suggestions working for you? Not very well, is it? Lol.
It's working for me just fine. It's not my responsibility to expect other to follow gun safety guidelines anymore than it's your responsibility to make sure I'm a safe drive. This should be common sense.

Quote:
The point is if such a safety discrepancy came to the forefront with a smart gun, changes could be made to make sure an infant couldn't activate a gun even in close proximity.
Then how would the owner of the gun be able to shoot the gun when the owner is also in close proximity. Try using that brain of yours for once.

Quote:
You can advocate proper gun use and storage until you are blue in the face and you're still going to get a percentage of the population that never ever listens. That's why the decision has to be made for them.
And just like with driving, cars, smoking, drinking, or anything in a free society, stupid people will do stupid things. People are doing to text and drive. People are going to drink and drive. People are going to speed. People are going to not put their children in a car seat. Because of all this, we have laws to hold people accountable for their actions. What's next, are you also going to idiotically suggest that every car has smart car seats, smart seat belts, smart gas petals, breathalyzers, etc all based on the actions of a select few?

Quote:
The truth is a smart gun would have given that mother a chance.

You talk about ignorance but you can't even present a valid defense of your position.
No, I laid out my defense in clear and plain English. You either suffer from literary problems or purposely choose to ignore it. Smart guns work via risk watch that only allows the gun to fire when the watch is in close proximity to the gun. In this woman's case, the watch would have been in close proximity. Smart guns also aren't reliable and legally can not be forced on everyone. If I could possibly dumb this down any further so that you brain could possibly understand this simple fact, I would, but it's not possible.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:55 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Apparently he shot her multiple times in the back of the head, all an "accident." The chief better hire Mark O’Mara.
Apparently is was not an accident.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:03 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
No, he only shot her once and it wasn't in the head. He hasn't been charged with anything and is cooperating with the investigation.

The gun simply went off. As the 911 call shows, the chief said he shot his wife while moving his gun in bed.
“A gunshot wound. Accidental. Need medical ASAP,” McCollum said. "Shot in the back. "

“Who shot her?” the dispatcher asked.

“Me,” McCollum responds. “The gun was in the bed, I went to move it, put it aside and it went off.”
She has already been upgraded from critical to serious so it may turn out not be that big a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies