Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:41 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Seems like common sense. In this day and age of internet access, smart phones and tablets with constant connectivity, going to the library is pretty antiquated and quaint. When was the last time most CD users went to their local library and checked out a book, much less use their encyclopedia to do research? I much prefer e-books on my tablet for entertaining reading, and google/wiki as a starting point for research. This is 2015 (well, in a few hours), not 1950. If anything, spend cut the library funding and do more to support low-cost internet connectivity.
Today. I love the library, and my city has an amazing library.
But the idea that the library should get an automatic 4% increase every year is nuts. They should budget each year and see what their needs actually are, and also examine if there are places they can add user fees for some activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:03 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
As an independent conservative, I lost my use and respect for the Tea Party a long time ago. Stories like this reiterate for me that the movement has been hijacked by morons.

A recent article from the Washington Times:
Court to decide between lower property taxes, library funds - Washington Times

And, a recent article from Kentucky's own Lexington Herald-Leader, where one commenter on the board described Kentucky libraries as "arrogant":
Kentucky appeals court considers cases that threaten funding for dozens of libraries | Politics and Government | Kentucky.com

This is "fiscal conservatism is our premise" gone too far. I'm also glad I don't live in Kentucky anymore...
What does this have to do with the 'Tea Party'? There is not one mention of the 'Tea Party' in this article.

However, this is a problem that has raised concern in other states as well, and that is the ability of states to raise property taxes automatically year after year, simply by raising the rates. People have complained.

I don't know how they are going to resolve this issue with the library, but I think this mirrors the problem I mentioned in other states. Automatic tax increases are a problem. They are subject to abuse, and are especially a problem when incomes are down, people's hours have been cut to 30/wk, yet states and municipalities feel they can still raise tax rates with no vote of the people.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Could any library be more crippled than San Francisco's Public Library?

Talk About Throwing the Book at the San Francisco Library - latimes

Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Huge Tea Party effort in Kentucky could cripple its libraries

Oh well, at least they still have the creation museum.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:35 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Most people would agree with you, but 20 years ago people would have also agreed that the big, curly corded phone receiver at their home felt better than some little flat match box size cell phone.
For talking, I prefer a landline phone (cordless). The tone quality of the cellphones I have and had are annoying... a high, tinny-sound.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:40 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Quite a few poor students use libraries.

The dumbing down of America by the tea party.
As already posted, the Tea Party is not even mentioned in the article. So what are you talking about?

You should change your post to say, "The dumbing down of America by Democrats!"

Old 03-25-2015, 01:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Why do I need a public library when I have a computer, a tablet and a phone that connect to the internet?

why do i need a library when i have more books in my home than some libraries do.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:26 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
As an independent conservative, I lost my use and respect for the Tea Party a long time ago. Stories like this reiterate for me that the movement has been hijacked by morons.

A recent article from the Washington Times:
Court to decide between lower property taxes, library funds - Washington Times

And, a recent article from Kentucky's own Lexington Herald-Leader, where one commenter on the board described Kentucky libraries as "arrogant":
Kentucky appeals court considers cases that threaten funding for dozens of libraries | Politics and Government | Kentucky.com

This is "fiscal conservatism is our premise" gone too far. I'm also glad I don't live in Kentucky anymore...
"We ain't need no fancy-pants book learnin' 'round these parts anyways!"

That's one of the main reasons why the eastern third of Kentucky rivals the Mississippi Delta and the Indian reservations for the worst quality of life in the United States.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:30 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Quite a few poor students use libraries.

The dumbing down of America by the tea party.
But since you are attributing this to the Tea Party despite it having already been mentioned that the Tea Party had nothing to do with this, isn't the reality of the situation here that you are the one attempting to dumb down America? I mean, what else could you call knowingly presenting facts and history in a dishonest way for political gain? You're deliberately misinforming people. How is that not purposely dumbing down America?

Old 03-25-2015, 06:35 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
That's one of the main reasons why the eastern third of Kentucky rivals the Mississippi Delta and the Indian reservations for the worst quality of life in the United States.
I have found that it is often those who live in inexpensive rural areas with low incomes
and statistically "worst quality of life" who are generally happier people than their
urban/suburban counterparts living in dog-eat-dog metros who dread even waking
up in the morning to work in their cubicles and beaurocracies just to drive back home
to their matchbox homes in characterless subdivisions for for supper, tv and bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies