Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times

Advertisements

Ignorance has always been carefully cultivated by the extreme rightwing in this country. The Dumbing Down of America is deliberate and calculated. This is just further proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You mean libraries that are not near as used or necessary as they used to be?
**nearly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
They're not morons, they're very clever. They know people who use libraries aren't likely to support to the Tea Party.
Can't argue against those points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailhead View Post
Kentucky has libraries???

Just kidding
I wonder sometimes. Despite great improvements in Kentucky's overall education system in recent decades, those improvements aren't always reflected in the general populace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Library use is down and trending down annually.
Last year only 48% of Americans used the library within that year down from 53% the year before.

It's all online now. Covert those libraries to e-libraries and use online lending facilities.
Reduce headcount drastically.

Section 1: An Overview of Americans
Well, I wouldn't expect anything less from a Texan... (Sorry, I'm a Californian, I couldn't help but get in that jab. ) Not understanding a low-cost, taxpayer-funded contribution to helping taxpayers themselves develop their own civic appreciation. Libraries are of great benefit to especially the lowest income among us. Tools provided by municipal and university libraries have also been crucial in helping me conduct extensive, in-depth graduate school research, by providing tools that were completely inaccessible by simple Google searches. In Kentucky, in California, and even in Europe.

Frankly, HappyTexan, your argument is disgusting and shallow, despite the ongoing trend of library usage indicated in your link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Why would you be threatened by requiring governments to live by their rules?
Please know that Kentucky libraries have operated en masse under the same modus operandi for the last 40 years, and that even former Attorney General Greg Stumbo, once again a state representative, gave library taxation assessments in Kentucky his "blessing" ten years ago. If rules were to be adhered to in a precisely literal fashion in Kentucky, libraries would already have been all but non-existent, even before the era of the internet.

"Threatened" is a weak cop-out of a much deeper, more nuanced argument, and the argument I make is that the Kentucky legislature should have already modified any technicalities that the Tea Party has dug up. Even though the state has expressly said in the past that libraries are not in the wrong.

Why then isn't the Tea Party actively pursuing other separate taxing districts in Kentucky--namely, volunteer fire departments, public schools, and public health departments? They aren't.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
"Outside the courtroom, the plaintiffs said they were not trying to wreck libraries. Coleman said that after last year's circuit court rulings in their favor, the plaintiffs tried to reach a deal with the libraries: We'll let you keep your current tax rate if you'll agree to submit to public petitions for all future revenue increases. The libraries rejected the offer, Coleman said."

Read more here: Kentucky appeals court considers cases that threaten funding for dozens of libraries | Politics and Government | Kentucky.com

Old 12-30-2014, 09:57 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,102 times
Shame they don't have a fund like the one Dale Carnegie set up for the Pittsburgh libraries.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
They know people who use libraries aren't likely to support to the Tea Party.
Of course they do. The Tea Party is all oldsters, remember? They don't have the internets in their houses.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
As an independent conservative, I lost my use and respect for the Tea Party a long time ago. Stories like this reiterate for me that the movement has been hijacked by morons.

A recent article from the Washington Times:
Court to decide between lower property taxes, library funds - Washington Times

And, a recent article from Kentucky's own Lexington Herald-Leader, where one commenter on the board described Kentucky libraries as "arrogant":
Kentucky appeals court considers cases that threaten funding for dozens of libraries | Politics and Government | Kentucky.com

This is "fiscal conservatism is our premise" gone too far. I'm also glad I don't live in Kentucky anymore...
User Fees.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Of course they do. The Tea Party is all oldsters, remember? They don't have the internets in their houses.
That's a good point.

However, books are where bad ideas like liberalism and some of them have characters and magic folk and stuff like that. No, no, the only worthwhile book is the Bible. Their tax dollars shouldn't be going to promoting witchcraft, communism and the gay agenda.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
If libraries are really that well used, they would be able to support themselves with user fees . People that want to use them could pay a membership.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:44 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Libraries should not be able to just be able to ask for and get tax increases without a vote of the people. This is why they were called arrogant and rightfully so.

The libraries didn't want to put out the effort to convince the people that the money was needed, they just wanted the money.

Convince the people the money is needed. I imagine that is going to be harder and harder for libraries, they will largely be things of the past before long. I hate to see that also but people now have access to a large percentage of what they need accessible now from their cell phones.

Should the phone company be able to force you to finance and use a land line in your home now if one is not needed? Most people can get internet access at Mcd's for the price of a small coffee.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:28 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Ignorance has always been carefully cultivated by the extreme rightwing in this country. The Dumbing Down of America is deliberate and calculated. This is just further proof.
What bunch of nonsense. If anything the Left Wingers is attempting to rewrite American History. This Library issue is a non issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies