Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:53 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
For those who haven't set foot in a library since they were in school and had to, libraries that I am used to house a tremendous amount of books. Not just fiction novels. They serve as a place for people to gather and do poetry readings and other social events. Students use them for research and a quiet space to study. People can use the computers to get on the internet to look for a job if they can't afford that resource on their own. Not everyone wants a Kindle. Some people really do use libraries to their fullest potential. And where I come from (NY), the libraries are amazing!
I am in a small town, and we have an amazing library, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
So many people miss the entire point.

I moved from a northeast state to south Georgia a few years ago and when we first got here wI really missed our northern library that had EVERYTHING AND IT WAS HUGE! All the sudden we went from over 20,000 sq ft (not counting underground garage) with books and everything from a huge bank of internet connected computers, video games to video cd's to 7,000 sq ft and just books.

For a while we really missed our library.

But then we got our property tax bill and it went from $4,000 per year to $960 per year and you know what? For the $3,040 a year, or $253 monthly, I'll subscribe to NetFlix for my movies and we determined we can purchase a lot of books for the $240 monthly left over after I pay the NetFlix.

Then there is research. You can find a lot on the internet.

We don't miss the library anymore and we're doing more reading then ever before.

So a Tea Party member, who wants to keep taxes low for the people who pay them, is an uneducated moron who wants everyone stupidized? Got it.

PS For the spelling Nazi's stupidized is a word I just made up.
I am in North Georgia, and our library has the computers, the books, the movies, the CDs, and meeting space. It also sponsors reading activities for children and adults. Not everyone can afford even the modest price of NetFlix, the cost of books, and, as I pointed out above, not everyone has access to a computer at home.

In addition, not all of the difference in your property tax is due to library funding, so it is really not appropriate to say you saved $253 per month just because the library is smaller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He states: " Discriminating among students on the basis of ability or performance was branded "elitist." Educational gurus of the day called for essentially nonacademic schools, whose main purpose would be to build habits of social cooperation and equality rather than to train the mind."

which was most certainly not the case in my school district in the '60s where I bungled my way through Chemistry, Physics, Calculus, Latin, et al. Doesn't sound very "nonacademic" to me and is more than enough to make me doubt his credibility.
If you went to school in the '60s, it is virtually certain that by high school you were in classes sectioned by ability. That is no longer done. If you want to see how depressingly different it is now, head over to the Education forum here. Kids of middle and high academic aptitude are indeed being sacrificed for tiny gains at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 12:40 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
I don't know about any of you but if the u.s. had these libraries i'd bet everyone would be lining up to see them. Gorgeous Photos of the World's Most Beautiful Libraries And btw I.C. what is a NOT shool ed prof ?? How can you be a professor but not part of a school ??? just like what is a nonacademic school ?

Old 01-01-2015, 01:42 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
I don't know about any of you but if the u.s. had these libraries i'd bet everyone would be lining up to see them. Gorgeous Photos of the World's Most Beautiful Libraries And btw I.C. what is a NOT shool ed prof ?? How can you be a professor but not part of a school ??? just like what is a nonacademic school ?
Boston is in the U.S.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:00 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Boston is in the U.S.
Opps didn't notice that one my mistake

Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
And how many have seen the NY Library on 5th Ave?

Link: NYPL |

Old 01-01-2015, 02:09 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If given the choice of paying for libraries with taxes or doing without libraries I would choose the taxes. The same does not apply to many of the other things like subsidized agriculture that taxes support.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:28 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Libraries are dying a slow and miserable death anyway....

May as well put them out of their misery.......

Old 01-03-2015, 10:19 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
An argument from someone trying to justify their existence in an antiquated system? There are places for libraries in research institutions. But the common, public library to pick up an entertaining novel for a coupel weeks? Please. Again, 2015, not 1950. Ever heard of Amazon?
Does Amazon provide me with all the music I can listen to and books I can read for $12/year?

Old 01-04-2015, 01:53 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Disagree, disagree, and disagree.

This articles states the case for libraries in the 2010s much more articulately than do I: 16 Reasons Librarians are Still Extremely Important
from College online? Grow the state!

Old 01-04-2015, 01:58 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Why do I need a public library when I have a computer, a tablet and a phone that connect to the internet?
I'm not sure if that is sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies