Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 12:14 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So why does Brazil continue with deforestation, how does a growing economy come to terms and coexist. Humans will always choose profits over the environment.
Humans will choose the best solution for themselves, so all you have to do is give them a solution that does not involve destroying the rain forests. Land ownership is the key. Most people don't destroy what they own. I don't dump trash in my yard because it's mine, not because the government says I can't.

BTW, deforestation in the Amazon has dropped dramatically in the last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 01:03 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,967,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What part of this did you not understand? "Carbon dioxide emissions help tropical rainforests grow faster: "
It's not true. That's what I understand. CO2 is like water. Once the plant gets enough it grows. Doubling the water or the CO2 doesn't affect growth.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:04 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,967,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Maybe not but more growth should equal less CO2. Time to plant rain forests.
Planting more rain forests definitely helps sequester CO2. More CO2 does not stimulate more growth however,

Old 01-01-2015, 01:18 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Everything with these so-called "scientists" turns out to be "far more than expected" or "far less than expected". It seems they know absolutely nothing about climate change and are just guessing.

Funny you should mention knowing something about climate change...

https://science.jpl.nasa.gov/people/Schimel/

Old 01-01-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
You need a disclaimer.... This is true DURING photosynthesis. What do plants do in the dark and after they die?

This is from scienceline

" During their lifetimes, plants generally give off about half of the carbon dioxide CO2, that they absorb, although this varies a great deal between different kinds of plants. Once they die, almost all of the carbon that they stored up in their bodies is released again into the atmosphere."

The rain forests are filled with all kinds of decaying matter that gives off CO2 and I believe that respiration occurs at night which gives off CO2 (someone who studied botany can correct me if I'm wrong here but I seem to recall being taught that plants use Oxygen at night and give off CO2). The question is when all things are considered do they absorb more or give off more. I've always been of the opinion they absorb more while living and that higher levels of CO2 results in faster plant growth but I've never studied botany.

It all depends on the availability of oxygen.

Plants materials that are not in contact with oxygen after they die will not release carbon.

Where there is now coal, there was once a peat bog.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:22 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
It's not true. That's what I understand. CO2 is like water. Once the plant gets enough it grows. Doubling the water or the CO2 doesn't affect growth.
That might be the most ridiculous post I have ever read. It's so silly I refuse to post links. I can assure you that the amount of water and CO2 has a huge impact on growth. Ever hear of growth rings on trees?

Old 01-01-2015, 04:09 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,707,557 times
Quote:
That might be the most ridiculous post I have ever read. It's so silly I refuse to post links. I can assure you that the amount of water and CO2 has a huge impact on growth. Ever hear of growth rings on trees?

I planted a royal palm 11 years ago and did an experiment and watered it every day for 4 years with septic water, the growth was exponential!!!!! its 60 feet tall now.. I've asked visitors how old they think the royal palm is?? and they always think it's like 50 to 60 years old.. the same day I planted five other royal palms and did not water them at all, they were left to grow only by what nature would provide, and they are one fifth the size.. water and nutrients makes a huge difference...

Old 01-01-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
If we don't fix the rainforest problem, it won't be a hoax. If we are to avoid global warming due to excess CO2 we need to restore the planet's CO2 buffer which is the rain forests. Unfortunately, it may be too late for that.

The world`s rainforests have been around for a long time because the nutrients needed to sustain a them have been present in sufficient quantities.

If the nutrients are there, nature does the rest.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:27 PM

57,057 posts, read 26,024,198 times
Quote:
Humans will choose the best solution for themselves, so all you have to do is give them a solution that does not involve destroying the rain forests. Land ownership is the key. Most people don't destroy what they own. I don't dump trash in my yard because it's mine, not because the government says I can't.

BTW, deforestation in the Amazon has dropped dramatically in the last decade.
The solution for most in Brazil is to burn rainforests to make way for farms and cattle grazing, what solution do you propose to change their ways. Landownership is actually what is driving the deforestation, same as was the case in the early part of our development. Yes deforestation has decreased the last few years but still very significant and it accounts for around 70% of their carbon emissions.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:34 PM

57,057 posts, read 26,024,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The world`s rainforests have been around for a long time because the nutrients needed to sustain a them have been present in sufficient quantities.

If the nutrients are there, nature does the rest.
The soil for rain forests in the Amazon are very infertile, once the high canopy trees are removed it's more like a desert. Very difficult to restore and promotes erosion and contamination of waterways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies