Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 04:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times

Advertisements

Normally I dont post from Salon as they're pretty biased. But I have been a fan of Robert Reich for a while, some things I agree with, some I don't. But this article discusses that a smaller government would be the result of the government representing the people. The right often goes on about how they want a smaller government, what do you think about what he says?

As for me.....While I think he is discussing a problem, I do not believe his solution "smaller government" would necessarily follow. To some degree yes, but I think a lot of the spending would move to other places. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 04:50 PM

963 posts, read 689,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Normally I dont post from Salon as they're pretty biased. But I have been a fan of Robert Reich for a while, some things I agree with, some I don't. But this article discusses that a smaller government would be the result of the government representing the people. The right often goes on about how they want a smaller government, what do you think about what he says?

As for me.....While I think he is discussing a problem, I do not believe his solution "smaller government" would necessarily follow. To some degree yes, but I think a lot of the spending would move to other places. Thoughts?
Link??

Old 12-31-2014, 04:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:

Yup his opinions are pretty much nothing. As evidenced by this link.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:53 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
That link was about the most interesting thing I've ever read by him!

Old 12-31-2014, 04:58 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Robert Reich (The Government Problem)

I have to say, I mostly agree with Reich on his assessment. He has written or said things I agree with more than once.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Robert Reich (The Government Problem)

I have to say, I mostly agree with Reich on his assessment. He has written or said things I agree with more than once.
Party pooper.

Austin of course

Old 12-31-2014, 05:06 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
If Robert Reich said it was a nice day, I'd go outside and check.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:07 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Party pooper.

Austin of course
Did you read the link, BDD?

Old 12-31-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Did you read the link, BDD?
I've been reading Bob's stuff since the early 1980's.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:17 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
I don't agree with him on several fronts starting with his statement that big government is not a problem and "the central issue is whom the government is for". Big government is the problem and he cites several examples. His problem starts here "Consider the new spending bill Congress and the President agreed to a few weeks ago. It’s not especially large by historic standards." That's like saying Hitler was not that bad because Stalin was worse. Comparing the current bloated budget to recent bloated budgets is a useless exercise.

Then he goes on to rant about school lunch rules that he doesn't like because food companies will make more money. That's a useless whine. The real solution is to get the federal government totally out of the school lunch business. Let parents and schools decide what they will have in their cafeterias. Defining school lunches is not an appropriate federal government function.

I agree that we should drastically reduce military spending and eliminate corporate welfare. But he chooses his corporate welfare diatribe carefully. Notice he did not complain about the billions going to alternate energy companies and the huge tax breaks for Hollywood which are the pet corporate welfare of the Democrats.

He whines about wall street because "This increases the likelihood you and I and other taxpayers will once again be left holding the bag." Well guess what? We shouldn't be left holding the bag. The solution is not more legislation. The solution is to let these companies fail and quit bailing out rich corporations and rich unions with our tax dollars. Maybe they would behave differently if they knew we (the taxpayers) would not bail them out.

And finally, restricting campaign donations does not benefit anybody. Only a fool would think the wealthy elite can be restricted or even should be. Campaign finance is not our problem. Huge government is our problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies