Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 12:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^We had polio epidemics yearly for several years in the 1950s. What is the difference?
So the flu is just as bad as polio ?
Is that what you are trying to say ?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That a "flu epidemic" is now a common occurrence.
Your point?

Quote:
So the flu is just as bad as polio ?
Is that what you are trying to say ?
No.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Katiana never said there were no risks from vaccines, just that they are tiny. I notice you did not answer the question: why do you not fear the risk of GBS due to influenza, which is 4000% to 7000% higher than the risk of GBS from the vaccine?
Yes she did.
Quote:
there's also no evidence of serious adverse effects of flu vaccine, which is much more likely to prevent the flu.
I'm not making any decisions based on fear. I don't fear the flu so therefore I don't fear the complications that could possibly come from getting the flu. If I get the flu I will do the best I can to take care of my body so that my immune system can fight the flu and avoid serious complications. If I have a rare outcome then so be it. That is life. I think that the flu vaccine's efficacy is overblown. I think that it's a bad idea to get one considering the fact it causes an immune response which in turn weakens one's immune system against other invaders. I think it's not smart to play games with one's immune system. I also think it's dangerous to play with mother nature. What happens when the virus mutates beyond our ability to keep up?

Herd immunity for the flu is complete BS.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The CDC said this morning that, going by their definition of epidemic, the US has had flu epidemics for the last 9 out of 12 years. Seems like every year is an epidemic year.

CDC: Flu season continues to worsen, could peak this month
According to one CDC definition, flu is epidemic when a certain percentage of deaths in a given week are due to flu and pneumonia. By that measure, flu epidemics occurred in nine of the last dozen winters, including this one.
It's all about keeping people in a perpetual state of fear so that we will willingly line up for the "cure" aka the flu vaccine. It's so ridiculous.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Jefferson's own analysis showed no serious adverse effects from flu vaccine. Now I can actually buy his assertion that the benefit of flu vaccination is "modest" in the community. That is his most recent work. (He did another analysis which showed that the benefit is more than modest in nursing homes, BTW.) The risk of GBS, as has been stated over and over again, is much greater after a flu infection than a flu shot. Here's some more for you to read. Does the flu vaccine cause Guillain-Barré syndrome or not? | So much science, so little time
There is evidence that the flu vaccine has caused GBS. This is a well known fact. Just because it's rare does not mean that it's not a risk.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:12 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post

I'm not making any decisions based on fear. I don't fear the flu so therefore I don't fear the complications that could possibly come from getting the flu. If I get the flu I will do the best I can to take care of my body so that my immune system can fight the flu and avoid serious complications. If I have a rare outcome then so be it. That is life. I think that the flu vaccine's efficacy is overblown. I think that it's a bad idea to get one considering the fact it causes an immune response which in turn weakens one's immune system against other invaders. I think it's not smart to play games with one's immune system. I also think it's dangerous to play with mother nature. What happens when the virus mutates beyond our ability to keep up?

Herd immunity for the flu is complete BS.
Well stated.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I read this as crapshoot. Which is pretty much what the shot is. Some people have the shot and get the flu anyway. Some get the flu because of the shot.
It is impossible to catch the flu from the shot because the virus within the shot is not activated. If shots made people sick, just about everyone who works in healthcare would become sick.

Some people are exposed to the flu shortly before getting the shot and become sick. They were going to become sick, no matter what.

Other times, the annual vaccination does not match the virus strain that becomes prevalent in any given flu season.

Typically, people get the flu because they chose not to get vaccinated and are exposed to the virus from other people who made the same lousy decision.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:16 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It is impossible to catch the flu from the shot because the virus within the shot is not activated.
The DNA in the de-activated virus is still available on the open exchange with other microbes.

Libertarians never die!

And, there are thieves everywhere!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Can only get Tamiflu if you are 65 or older or have medical issues that would put you at high risk for complications.
Not according to the manufacturer.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It is impossible to catch the flu from the shot because the virus within the shot is not activated. If shots made people sick, just about everyone who works in healthcare would become sick.

Some people are exposed to the flu shortly before getting the shot and become sick. They were going to become sick, no matter what.

Other times, the annual vaccination does not match the virus strain that becomes prevalent in any given flu season.

Typically, people get the flu because they chose not to get vaccinated and are exposed to the virus from other people who made the same lousy decision.
It's pretty weird that the vast majority of people I know who get the flu (year after year) are the same people who get the vaccine (year after year). It's not very effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies