Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Last evening my sister was visiting....she is a staunch republican (near to an extremist).....I am a conservative, and there is a difference. My sister is the kind of person who backs her political party no matter how corrupt they are, like so many people today.

I told her, that I'm so sick of politics and how corrupt our entire government is, that I may not vote, and she comes up with this insane come back and thats all it was...."well, if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain". To me, and for me, it is insane to vote when your voting for another puppet.

She said the only reason Obama got in for a second term is b/c a lot of people were to lazy to get up off their duffs and go to the polls to vote. I told her, they are not lazy, they are sick of it, b/c they give us no one to vote for. Of couse, she answers, "then you hold your breath and go in and vote for the lessor of two evils".

What the heck kind of answer is that, as if condoning corruptness....lawlessness.....just to get your party in. Bush did nothing for this country, and now Obama is even worse. I tried to explain to her, that no President or our government works for the people any longer, they work only for the corporations and the rich that tell them what to do....why do you think we've gone global.

Anyway, I am sick to death of this government and their antics....I asked her where she has been for the last 72 years, that in itself should prove to her, we go back and forth and back and forth and nothing ever gets done to fix our problems.....and it would be so easy to do so.

I really don't want this to be a party debate, who is worse or who caused what, b/c both sides are corrupt and I cannot believe more people don't see this....and why don't they see it.

I really would like to hear some intellectual thoughts on this and not fighting, and bickering on who it was that caused all this?

What is your take....
The gooerment is the by product of voter choice.
In business if you see a problem you look up at least one level to find its source.

The voters criteria to elect a legislator to represent them is seriously flawed. When legislator pass binding legislation without reading or understanding its implications they should be recalled or whatever legal means used to replace them.

When a president lies, he gets away with it.

The entire political system considers poor voter choice based on very limited and biased information from the parties, will require a higher level of scrutiny to bring in more daylight. This responsibility was assigned to the media and investigative journalists. Tragically we have seen an acceptable level of media bias turn into a caretaker propaganda machine devoted to the latest administration. No greater tragedy has ever befallen the free world than betrayal by the mainstream press.

The acid test that the people have been abandoned by the media is the fact Nancy Pelosi still holds office despite her famous words, 'we have to pass it to see what is in it"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 07:36 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Last evening my sister was visiting....she is a staunch republican (near to an extremist).....I am a conservative, and there is a difference. My sister is the kind of person who backs her political party no matter how corrupt they are, like so many people today.

I told her, that I'm so sick of politics and how corrupt our entire government is, that I may not vote, and she comes up with this insane come back and thats all it was...."well, if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain". To me, and for me, it is insane to vote when your voting for another puppet.

She said the only reason Obama got in for a second term is b/c a lot of people were to lazy to get up off their duffs and go to the polls to vote. I told her, they are not lazy, they are sick of it, b/c they give us no one to vote for. Of couse, she answers, "then you hold your breath and go in and vote for the lessor of two evils".

What the heck kind of answer is that, as if condoning corruptness....lawlessness.....just to get your party in. Bush did nothing for this country, and now Obama is even worse. I tried to explain to her, that no President or our government works for the people any longer, they work only for the corporations and the rich that tell them what to do....why do you think we've gone global.

Anyway, I am sick to death of this government and their antics....I asked her where she has been for the last 72 years, that in itself should prove to her, we go back and forth and back and forth and nothing ever gets done to fix our problems.....and it would be so easy to do so.

I really don't want this to be a party debate, who is worse or who caused what, b/c both sides are corrupt and I cannot believe more people don't see this....and why don't they see it.

I really would like to hear some intellectual thoughts on this and not fighting, and bickering on who it was that caused all this?

What is your take....
I agree with your sister. If you don't participate, why bother complaining when YOU WON'T do anything about it?

Empathy will NEVER change ANYTHING.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:37 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,945,272 times
I disagree with your sister. The notion that one can change things by voting in the false dichotomy system is one that I do not embrace.

My argument against voting is that voting serves only to embolden our oppressors.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:40 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
believe me, I wanted change so badly, I could taste it and that is why I voted for Obama in his first term, but he did nothing...nothing, he made all that Bush didn't do, worse.

and then there was that candidate, that put his dog in a crate on top of his car when the family went on vacation, no way will I ever vote for him. No way. That was down right the most stupidest thing I ever heard anyone doing....like walking out of a Chevy Chase movie. Did his perspectives and common sense tactics change that much? I doubt it.

With each new president, it gets worse, and I will not vote for the family dynestys any longer, they are so rich and out of touch with what needs to be done.
In other words, if you don't get YOUR way, you are going to pout and cry like a spoiled little brat and do nothing else.

It is no wonder we are in the sad shape we are in!

Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default upsetting is a personal choice

Quote:
what is upsetting is, you remember America as it was, 50 - 60 years ago, so you lived it, and you know what it was......
And I know that my childhood memories of my own experience aren't reflective of what America was then. I've gained enough perspective to understand that things change and I shouldn't get my blood pressure all pumped over 99% of those changes, since they have little direct effect on me.

The news media has changed, replacing informative news stories with emotional nonstories designed to elicit gut level responses, rather than thoughtful reflection. They've done this because marketeers have learned that it sells. And marketeers own America. That's why we're now consumers more than we're citizens. Either consciously or unconsciously, each of us decides to play their game or not.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:47 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And I know that my childhood memories of my own experience aren't reflective of what America was then. I've gained enough perspective to understand that things change and I shouldn't get my blood pressure all pumped over 99% of those changes, since they have little direct effect on me.

The news media has changed, replacing informative news stories with emotional nonstories designed to elicit gut level responses, rather than thoughtful reflection. They've done this because marketeers have learned that it sells. And marketeers own America. That's why we're now consumers more than we're citizens. Either consciously or unconsciously, each of us decides to play their game or not.
well, that is you, and I respect that, and am asking you to respect my perspective, I understand why you wrote this, but just because you think one way and I think another doesn't make you right and me wrong, and my blood pressure isn't all pumped up over it....so your choice of words is demeaning....and argumentative....

so, good for you....thank you.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
In other words, if you don't get YOUR way, you are going to pout and cry like a spoiled little brat and do nothing else.

It is no wonder we are in the sad shape we are in!
I didn't start this thread to gain personal attacks....and no, I'm not going to cry an put until whoever gets elected in, proves himself/herself, or not....

and I'm not going to sit here and extend to you, all the horrid problems going on in this country today....b/c regardless of what I'd say, you'd probably come back with another attack (s) so, your right, I'm a spoiled little brat

however, our country is in the shape its in today, due to uninformed voters who support their corrupt parties.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Millions of write-in votes would make a bigger impact for change than millions of people staying home on Election Day.
how? by voting one way or the other, how will that change anything, it's been done now for the past, how many years...seriously....how would it change anything.
A lot of Americans are fed up...period.
They don't vote, b/c their vote doesn't change a darn thing.....

Old 01-03-2015, 08:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I agree with your sister. If you don't participate, why bother complaining when YOU WON'T do anything about it?

Empathy will NEVER change ANYTHING.
In the 2012 prez election, Obama beat Romney by 1,995,381 votes in my state. Because I wanted to vote in our local elections anyway, I also voted for a 3rd party candidate for prez, who got a whopping total of 47,256 votes.

Your writing in CAPS doesn't change the FACT that my vote was MEANINGLESS. Had our local elections been as non-competitive as the prez election, I wouldn't have bothered.

I don't know where this idea comes from that somebody shouldn't complain unless they voted. It sounds like a middle-school civics lesson.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:18 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
well, that is you, and I respect that, and am asking you to respect my perspective, I understand why you wrote this, but just because you think one way and I think another doesn't make you right and me wrong, and my blood pressure isn't all pumped up over it....so your choice of words is demeaning....and argumentative....
My response was general and not aimed at you specifically. Sorry you took it personally.

Quote:
so, good for you....thank you.
De nada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies